Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a letter indicating that the 2011 CRV LX (on some) piston rings may be sticking. I went to the local dealer this morning and they told me to come in when the check engine light comes on. Thing is that I am deaf, and I wouldn't be able to hear if the problems are starting.. And it might be too late when that light comes on.

Just don't understand, they prefer that the problem would happen before I bring it in. 8 years / 125,000 mile warranty..

Need clarification?
Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
i dont understand why "come in when the check engine light comes on". if the piston rings are sticking, that really doesn't have to do with CEL, if it does, a lot must have gone wrong already.

The dealer is really unprofessional.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The only way to check if the rings are sticking (other than take the engine apart) is to check oil consumption. If the oil is a quart low when it is time for an oil change (assuming it was full just after the previous change) I would call that excessive consumption (although Honda may not).

If there is noise because of low oil level some damage has probably already been done. Probably the same with the Check Engine Light too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had piston rings replaced at 130,000 in my 2010. Just got the letter in the mail this past week. Hope they will honor it. I had noticed the issue at a 124,000. Then at 127,000 I was losing 3 qts of oil in 2,ooo miles. About ran the oil dry. Check the dipstick often if you have not fix the issue. Honda did a 50/50 split at that time. The total cost was right around $3,000 bucks. Thankful that they took on half of the cost. Sending my invoice and letter of to Honda today and see if they will cover the $1,300 that I paid for.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine never went on. down over 3 qts. it went on finally driving in a round-a-bout on a hard left turn when engine had little oil in it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts