Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am breaking in a 2004 CRV 2.4L engine rebuild (https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/75-greetings-introductions/195553-2004-rebuilt-2-4l-motor.html). I installed an aftermarket oil pressure gauge to monitor pressure. I have noticed the oil pressure will jump ~10psi while driving at constant conditions. For example, driving on the expressway at a constant speed and RPM the pressure will be constant at 30psi then jump from 30 to 40psi for 30 seconds, then down to 30psi for ~2 minutes, then back up to 40psi. I notice no performance change or any noticeable change except the oil pressure gauge. I didn't find anything on the internet. Any thoughts?

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,963 Posts
Mechanical or electric gauge?

Electric: bad connection or sender

Mechanical: You mentioned metal fragments in your other topic....perhaps one of those got caught in the oil pressure relief valve or in some other oil passages.

Was it doing that before your oil change? If not perhaps the bypass valve in the filter.

At least the engine is not totally losing pressure...but I would be worried about longevity.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Its an electrical unit. Yes, I noticed this before the oil change. I hoping maybe it was a result of the Vtec kicking on/off or something like that. But I really don't know much about VTEC.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
At constant throttle I wouldn't expect VTEC to be jumping in/out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts