Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not weighed in on the fuel dilution until now. there is more going on than just fuel dilution.

I have a 2018 CR-V EX and have had the oil professionally tested 3 times. Oil was tested by a top tier lab and interpreted by a top tier chemist.

Here is what the test results show.
1. This is NOT just a cold weather issue. I drove 2,000 miles on a trip over a period of 4 days and had that sampled. It was hot, about 85-95F with no short trips. The engine had severe fuel dilution. Honda, this is NOT a cold weather issue.

2. The last oil was in the engine for 5,000 miles and there was pretty high iron wear and aluminum wear. The question that raises is whether the engine can make it to 100,000 miles. I took the vehicle in and Honda applied the fix and changed the oil. They also educated me that fuel dilution is "normal". My last 4 Hondas have had fuel dilution, but in the 2% range, which was concerning. Guess what the CR-V has? almost 9%!!! It is severe. Call 2% normal, not 9%.

3. But, something else showed up in the lab results. Water. The amount was so high that the lab re-ran the results. Over 1300 ppm. No, it's not coolant. It's water. So, there is not only fuel, but water in the oil.

4. If you want to know what's going on in your engine, consider getting the oil tested. Can't say that the facts impressed Honda, but the facts help me understand and not believe the propaganda.

Some of you are wondering why the fuel dilution is happening. It is a function of direct injection (DI) and variable valve timing (VVT). It's actually been a problem for years across many manufacturers.
If you look, almost every manufacturer is employing both technologies. What is happening in the Honda engines is they are overfueling on cold starts. Lots of fuel is pouring into the cylinders.

My plan is to sample again after several thousand miles and find out if the fix did anything at all. I don't think it will. Question is whether to sell. Or just drive it knowing it is not going to last. We are a Honda family, having owned many Hondas over a 40 year period. If Honda doesn't stand behind their product, that's the end.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FWIW my oil analysis 1k miles after the fix showed just over 5% fuel dilution and a little less water content than what you're dealing with. The car had 5K miles on the odometer at that point, with the 1K miles being driven in Wisconsin during the first 3 weeks of December, mostly highway miles. Oil was 3/4" above the full mark on the dipstick at that time.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I have not weighed in on the fuel dilution until now. there is more going on than just fuel dilution.

I have a 2018 CR-V EX and have had the oil professionally tested 3 times. Oil was tested by a top tier lab and interpreted by a top tier chemist.

Here is what the test results show.
1. This is NOT just a cold weather issue. I drove 2,000 miles on a trip over a period of 4 days and had that sampled. It was hot, about 85-95F with no short trips. The engine had severe fuel dilution. Honda, this is NOT a cold weather issue.

2. The last oil was in the engine for 5,000 miles and there was pretty high iron wear and aluminum wear. The question that raises is whether the engine can make it to 100,000 miles. I took the vehicle in and Honda applied the fix and changed the oil. They also educated me that fuel dilution is "normal". My last 4 Hondas have had fuel dilution, but in the 2% range, which was concerning. Guess what the CR-V has? almost 9%!!! It is severe. Call 2% normal, not 9%.

3. But, something else showed up in the lab results. Water. The amount was so high that the lab re-ran the results. Over 1300 ppm. No, it's not coolant. It's water. So, there is not only fuel, but water in the oil.

4. If you want to know what's going on in your engine, consider getting the oil tested. Can't say that the facts impressed Honda, but the facts help me understand and not believe the propaganda.

Some of you are wondering why the fuel dilution is happening. It is a function of direct injection (DI) and variable valve timing (VVT). It's actually been a problem for years across many manufacturers.
If you look, almost every manufacturer is employing both technologies. What is happening in the Honda engines is they are overfueling on cold starts. Lots of fuel is pouring into the cylinders.

My plan is to sample again after several thousand miles and find out if the fix did anything at all. I don't think it will. Question is whether to sell. Or just drive it knowing it is not going to last. We are a Honda family, having owned many Hondas over a 40 year period. If Honda doesn't stand behind their product, that's the end.
Please post both results so we will have the info if we go to our dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your results are alarming to say the least. I am appalled Honda China recalled millions of their SUV's but left Honda Canada to manufacturer these POS cars and ship them into the U.S. KNOWING full well these issues exist. It is disgusting and I wish I had never purchased this vechile.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Your results are alarming to say the least. I am appalled Honda China recalled millions of their SUV's but left Honda Canada to manufacturer these POS cars and ship them into the U.S. KNOWING full well these issues exist. It is disgusting and I wish I had never purchased this vechile.
Honda Canada ships CRV to the USA to sell?
Really?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.