Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all in need of some advice I own a 2007 2.2cdti crv and in need of some oil what oil should I put in the engine as doing some research on the Web everyone says different so thought I'd ask you peeps cheers

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Check your owner's manual. It is a handy thing. Most likely that little cap on top of your engine has 5W20 printed on it. Maybe it says 0W20. Whatever is printed on it that is the type of oil you should use. Synthetic oil is preferred over regular type of oil. Brand of oil is up to you. I prefer Mobil 1. But hey, the main thing is that you have the oil changed when the Maintenance Minder gets to 10-20%, or every six months regardless of the MM or the miles driven on the current engine oil.

Now, back to the manual. It is really important that you and everyone else reads their owners manual. You don't have one? No excuse. Go to the Honda website and find the link and download your free owner's manual for the year of your car. Read it. Maybe drink a cup of coffee first to help keep you from falling asleep. But remember, the manual is your best friend, if you use it.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
Hi all in need of some advice I own a 2007 2.2cdti crv and in need of some oil what oil should I put in the engine as doing some research on the Web everyone says different so thought I'd ask you peeps cheers
That’s the problem with the internet. Everyones a genius, and have different ideas of what Honda Engineering recommends. Myself I use Synthetic, but stick with what Honda recommends.

·
Registered
374 Posts
The OP's CR-V has a diesel engine. Depending on where he lives, the recommended fill is going to be at least a 5W-30 weight oil. IMHO, he's an excellent candidate for Shell's Rotella 5W-40, a full synthetic developed specifically for high compression diesel engines.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Diesel! My apologies. Still, refer to your owner's manual.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
Check out this link: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/?t=85367
On the link it says: "The user manual states that the preferred oil is 0W-30 fully synthetic to a minimum of ACEA A1/B1. It also allows for other viscosities up to 10W-40."
Mobil 1 makes a 0w40 also.
Read and decide.
Buffalo4
PS: I found it a difficult to find the owner's manual for that diesel. :eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all it states in the owners manual a1 b1, a3 b3. But looking on the Internet everyone says different things will a 10 40 fully synthetic be ok?

·
Registered
3,685 Posts

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
One Honda owner's manual I found, stated that the following oil wts may be used, but it also spec'd a c2 or a c3 oil so it may be for a later model than you have. http://www.hondatrading.ro/uploads/manuals/Manual_de_utilizare_Honda_CR_V.pdf
On page 445:
It says for all the temperature ranges to use a 0w30, 5w30, 0w30, 0w40. ACEA C2 or C3
For temps above -20C you can use 10w30, 10w40. ACEA C2 or C3
So, if you are not going to have temps lower than -20C (-4F) it should be OK to use a 10w40.
If you can get a 0w30 or a 0w40, it would cover all temp ranges as would 5w30 or a 5w40.
Remember, most engine wear on a engine used most every day (shut off and started when cold) occurs during warmup, so a lower first number will lubricate better at startup.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts