Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine recently put 0W-20 into his Si to get a little better fuel economy. No word yet on if it's worked, but I wonder, has anyone tried that on their CRV, did it have any impact on fuel economy or other things, and are there any potential pitfals from doing so?

Not up for an oil change yet, but will consider it next time depending on the feedback. I have a 2004 which calls for 5W-20; but of course, 0W-20 wasn't commonly available until a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
3,660 Posts
Not that this will directly answer either of your questions. Recently Honda Canada has approved using 0W20 in any Honda that previously spec'd 5W20 from the factory.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,760 Posts
The impact of fuel economy is VERY small. I don't see any practical difference when I switch from 20 weight to 30 weight. (I buy what is on sale)

A 0W-20 will reduce cranking effort in sub-zero weather, but will retain the same wear protection on a warm engine as any other 20 weight.

+++++++++++++

PS: Doesn't Honda recommend a 5W-30 weight oil for the Civic SI???

·
Registered
373 Posts
fujisawa, your friend's choice of a 0W-20 oil for his Si is not a good idea. The only Si engines originally spec'ed for a 20 weight oil were the '02-'05 Si's, and their board (ephatch.com) is riddled with early reports of camshaft galling in the K20A3 engine. (Your friend can Google "Honda camshaft galling" if he wishes to read about this potential problem.)

More importantly, every other Honda Si has always been spec'ed for 5W-30 weight oil, and none have ever been back spec'ed for 05-20 weight oil, much less 0W-20 weight oil. The lighter weight oils simply don't have the centistroke numbers (cSt at 100 degrees C) nor the shear strength (HT/HS) to cope with the high rpm capabilities of the Si motor. Your friend may not have a problem, but if he does, it will have been a costly experiment.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I get up to 34 mpg on trips year round with 5w-30. I've seen no difference in mileage from when I used to run 5w-20.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts