Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,640 Posts
Its possible that the Euro design and US designs are slightly different due to regional differences. There are always some out there.
But folks are right the design will evolve as technology changes. Plus as people mention, the chassis was not designed with a hybrid system in mind. European companies are rapidly introducing platforms designed for battery storage and power, thanks to the more aggressive requirements over there for electric vehicles.
Thats not the case in the US....

Reactions: SpectraBob

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wonder why they didn’t utilise the European design. Far more practical and excellent storage for all the tools required to change a wheel. Shame they forgot to put a spare in.
Well now that you mention that, would have been nice if the US Touring model had the heads up display and electric folding outside mirrors. Just sayin

·
The Enforcer
3,684 Posts
Well now that you mention that, would have been nice if the US Touring model had the heads up display
As nice a gimmick the HUD is, in the 1+ year I have had my CR-V, I dont think I have used the HUD more than a dozen times, if that.

Frankly, it does nothing that the driver display binnacle doesnt do already.

Reactions: williamsji

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,276 Posts
As nice a gimmick the HUD is, in the 1+ year I have had my CR-V, I dont think I have used the HUD more than a dozen times, if that.

Frankly, it does nothing that the driver display binnacle doesnt do already.
After driving my RDX with HUD for almost two years, I really miss it when driving my wife's 2020 CR-V! But that is just me.

I also wish the US CR-V had the features available on UK models. Oh well.

·
The Enforcer
3,684 Posts
I also wish the US CR-V had the features available on UK models. Oh well.
Vice versa - like the colour palettes, accessories - particularly the remote start!

·
Registered
2018 CR-V EX-L FWD Modern Steel Metallic
1,117 Posts
I had thought about a hybrid.... and lately seeing to many concerns and videos of batteries overheating and exploding. So glad i decided against it.

Just becareful what you do w/your Hybrid.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I believe that the wasted space and plastic are simply a place holder for the additional room needed for a larger battery and plug-in of the future CR-V PHEV.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Who knows?

I would NOT compare English vs. US designs as Honda did not contemplate the vehicle being used in the burning hot deserts of Wales. But I'd like to see a Spanish car ...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think I shared versions of these pics in another thread, that had a different title about the "space filling box" in the tire repair kit cover.

What I'm talking about is what's under the entire hard plastic spacer that encompasses that "space filler box" that plugs the little well, at the bottom of which is the air compresor/tire sealant kit. That spacer can be removed rather easily, it just clips to the fold-down flap on two sides.

I found there to be quite a bit of empty space there - this is where the spare tire would go in a "regular" CR-V, but where the battery in the Hybrid model sticks back too far to allow for it, as I understand it.

So what I'd like to do is to use that empty space for other things, such as storing winter emergency stuff like jumper cables, a snow brush/shovel, ice scraper, tire treads, and so on (yes, I've come back and found my car stuck parked deep in snow/ice around it too many times in my life). I'd rather not have them rattling around in the cargo area, tucking them under would be great.

But I see two things that give me pause, and the parts department of the dealership that sold me the CR-V Hybrid don't even have a diagram of the parts for this car yet and cannot identify their purpose over the phone. (They told me to bring it in and leave it with them so they can "figure it out" - no thanks...!)

These two things are:

- A vent-looking thing that seems to come from the direction of the battery?

- Stuff tacked into the back of that hard plastic spacer to line up with that vent, that is large, white, and a kind of papery/fluffy material, as if it were insulation (for heat? Maybe sound?)

As a test I took the spacer out and drove around, and it could be my imagination but it seemed like it might have made my fuel economy worse. Then again that could have been due to any of a number of other unknown factors and it's just a coincidence.

If anybody has guesses as to what that vent is, or what that material is that appears to be intended to block it (?!), I'd love to know.

View attachment 140402 View attachment 140403
I'm staying away from removing that plastic over and exposing what you show in your pics. Honda intended it to be inaccessible and that's fine for me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I used a hacksaw and gently separated the box from the lid. I then drilled pilot holes in the lid for these posts (#6 3/4 socket set screws) and with a 1.5mm Allen wrench (probably was a standard one that I didn't have) I anchored them to the lid. I then drilled out the holes in the lip of the box and put it all back together with wingnuts. I now have a first aid kit, tool box, flares, and a small tarp stored in the box. After the fact I noticed that the bases on the lid are actually hollow. so a U-shaped channel could have been cut and a regular screw could have been used instead of the socket set screws.
20210214_181706.jpg
20210214_171739.jpg 20210214_171717.jpg 20210214_172241.jpg

·
Registered
2020 CR-V EX-L Hybrid
45 Posts
I had thought about a hybrid.... and lately seeing to many concerns and videos of batteries overheating and exploding. So glad i decided against it.

Just becareful what you do w/your Hybrid.
I have driven my 2005 Prius for 10 years and now have my 2020 CRV Hybrid. I have gone through many battery packs on the Prius failing (due to age and then being rebuilt batteries). I have never had an issue with the battery overheating and exploding. That happens when your battery pack fails and you continue to drive it like a dumbass for days on end instead of using common sense. When the battery has failed and the cooling fan is running full blast your car is INOPERABLE. As long as you follow that logic you will never have a problem. You can drive it home if you are within 25 miles but you do not drive it otherwise with a failed battery pack. Its that simple.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts