Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very good mechanic who just fixed my A/C with a new compressor and condensor. He has it all back together and now the car wont start!!! could he have tripped the anti theft system and this is keeping the car from starting?? Any other ideas on why the car wont start now all of a sudden?? My guess is the anto theft has been tripped and the car wont even turn over. he tried to jump it and it wouldnt turn over.

any advice folks? thx

AR15

·
Everything in Moderation
7,630 Posts
Don't panic,

If he is a good mechanic he will be able to troubleshoot it.

My money would be on a loose or damaged crank position sensor wire since those are down near the A/C where he was working. (If the ECU doesn't think the engine is turning, it won't provide fuel)

I myself have been known to tuck that stuff out of harms way, then forget to plug it back in... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't panic,

If he is a good mechanic he will be able to troubleshoot it.

My money would be on a loose or damaged crank position sensor wire since those are down near the A/C where he was working. (If the ECU doesn't think the engine is turning, it won't provide fuel)

I myself have been known to tuck that stuff out of harms way, then forget to plug it back in... :rolleyes:
thx, carbuff. my mechanic said he hooked up a diagnostics computer to my CRV and it said the computer was bad on my car. It seems weird that he fixes the A/C and now all of a sudden the main computer on my car is shot... could he have blown the computer somehow when he was fixing the A/C? thx

·
Everything in Moderation
7,630 Posts
could he have blown the computer somehow when he was fixing the A/C?
Well anything is possible...but it would just be speculation.

Your suspicion about the immobilizer might be true, does the engine not go (as if the battery is flat) or does the starter crank the engine as normal but it doesn't fire?

You could always flat-bed it to a dealer and pay for a second diagnostic opinion.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Probably blew a fuse. Which one? I don't know.
On my '03 Odyssey, I 'unknowingly' blew a 50A fuse while doing a key cylinder repair. When I turned the ignition key to the Start position, nothing happened.
Dash lights, etc were weird or didn't light up, I don't remember. Finally nailed it down to the 50 amp fuse for the Ignition.
Finally got the right fuse and it worked just fine.

BTW: AR15 has a 2007 4WD EX-L 5AT.

Big question is : Is the engine cranking over but just not firing? OR, Does the starter not work?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im not sure if its turning over or not. i can find out. so a 50a fuse can keep it from cranking? ill go check the fuses tomorrow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update: his car diag tool said my cars computer was broken. he ordered a new computer ($40) and had it shipped and put it in. the car now turns on and dies instantly. the green key in the dash blinks on. i read thats the immobilizer? i guess this is the fix?

When you turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position, the immobilizer system indicator should come on briefly, then go off. If the indicator starts to blink, it means the system
does not recognize the coding of the key. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK (0) position, remove the key, reinsert it, and turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position again.

is this the fix? is it this simple to get this 'immobilizer' fixed?
thx

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
update: his car diag tool said my cars computer was broken. he ordered a new computer ($40) and had it shipped and put it in. the car now turns on and dies instantly. the green key in the dash blinks on. i read thats the immobilizer? i guess this is the fix?

When you turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position, the immobilizer system indicator should come on briefly, then go off. If the indicator starts to blink, it means the system
does not recognize the coding of the key. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK (0) position, remove the key, reinsert it, and turn the ignition switch to the ON (II) position again.

is this the fix? is it this simple to get this 'immobilizer' fixed?
thx

You have to have the immobilzer reprogrammed.

Once you changed the ECM it is no longer synced to the immobilizer.

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Lizzzurd is correct, as usual.
But, it may have just been a fuse that caused the computer to not connect the mechanics diagnostic tool.
I have a hard time believing the coincidence of the computer failing at the same time as the repair was done. But, it does happen.
BTW, where did your mechanic find that ECU for $40.00?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
mechanic said he checked all the fuses and they were all OK. i too thot it was 'fishy' the computer would die.. from the time i dropped off the car (never had an issue with it b4...) and the time he got the A/C installed.

so reprogramming the immobilizer is something he/we can do to get this fixed or is it dealer only? he's trying to find a way to fix it now but so am i...

sorry the ecm cost $63 plus shipping.. from Flagship One Inc on ebay...

thx for the help guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts