Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I tried all of the options on my radio and looked through my owners manual and cannot find whether or not this particular startup screen can be disabled. I have a 2016 EX-L without navigation and when I start it up I can't turn on my radio for about a minute. ( first world problems, I know) It stays on a screen that says, Honda link then it changes to a screen that says, "Notice, the driver is responsible for the safe operation of this vehicle. Use this system only when traffic conditions permit. For further details see your owners manual. OK". You have to press ok to make it disappear. It's annoying because I'm used to just starting my car, turning on the radio and driving. It makes me wait about a minute to listen to music and takes my eyes off the road to use the touch screen. I'd prefer an old style radio with real knobs that I can just feel and stay focused on the road. I am however very pleased with the sound quality of the stock system and surprised that it actually has decent bass without vibrations or distortion.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
You don't need to do anything to make the message disappear. It will do it on its own. I leave my radio on and everything just works if I don't touch anything. My wallpaper comes up with the grandkids on it and I just go and listen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have always turned off the radio and A/C before turning off my vehicles. My annoyance is that I cannot turn on my radio when I first start the CRV until after this message boots up then turns off or I hit the OK icon on the touch screen which seems to be about a minute. It seems like an eternity waiting..........and waiting some more.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I wish the message would disappear and go back to the last screen it was on. I too jump in and start driving while that message is up and do not like taking my eyes off the road when I have to hit OK. I see the point of the message but really , does it need to be there every time?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Your radio is a computer and has to boot up if you turn it off. The CR-V (and all modern vehicles) is a collection of computers as long as the battery is charged, most computers in Honda's go into standby mode (if not turned off - that forces a reboot - that is why disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes forces every computer in the vehicle to reboot) and can last 45 days in standby.

I never turn off anything but the ignition. And the screen that says press OK goes away in 30 seconds if you don't touch the OK.

The switches for the A/C and Radio will not last forever and is very expensive to replace.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I wish the message would disappear and go back to the last screen it was on. I too jump in and start driving while that message is up and do not like taking my eyes off the road when I have to hit OK. I see the point of the message but really , does it need to be there every time?
It will do exactly what you want if you choose that option. It has a last screen option in the menu somewhere. The message will pop up and disappear without any action by you.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have always turned off the radio and A/C before turning off my vehicles. My annoyance is that I cannot turn on my radio when I first start the CRV until after this message boots up then turns off or I hit the OK icon on the touch screen which seems to be about a minute. It seems like an eternity waiting..........and waiting some more.
Why would you turn off the radio and AC? It doesn't do anything to assist with anything. I've always left my radio on and have left the AC on since I got my first car with AC in 1971. 4 of my last 5 cars have had automatic temperature control and I don't touch the AC/heater controls regardless of whether it is winter or summer.

Most of the cars I have had since I started driving in 1962 have had radios but I have had AC in only 30 or 40. I'm not aware of ever having an issue with leaving the radio and AC on. I don't want to wear out the on-off switches.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Funny, I've been driving for 58 years and NEVER had a switch og any kind wear out !! You guys are overthinking it IMO. Craig

·
Registered
16 Posts
It will do exactly what you want if you choose that option. It has a last screen option in the menu somewhere. The message will pop up and disappear without any action by you.
Mine will not go to the last screen , it will go to the wallpaper and I need to hit return then OK to get past the warning

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My last vehicle was a Tacoma with a large touch screen very similar to the CRV in all of its functions. It did however turn on/off instantly and had an actual volume knob. I prefer buttons to touch screens because the tactile physical feel keeps my eyes on the road. There is less stress on the battery at startup with the radio/AC off that's why I have always done it and I don't like the startling sudden radio playing loud if I was rocking out earlier at a higher volume. My sound system sounds great but I'm not happy with the user friendliness of this particular unit in my CRV.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
My last vehicle was a Tacoma with a large touch screen very similar to the CRV in all of its functions. It did however turn on/off instantly and had an actual volume knob. I prefer buttons to touch screens because the tactile physical feel keeps my eyes on the road. There is less stress on the battery at startup with the radio/AC off that's why I have always done it and I don't like the startling sudden radio playing loud if I was rocking out earlier at a higher volume. My sound system sounds great but I'm not happy with the user friendliness of this particular unit in my CRV.
Leaving the radio and AC on at startup doesn't put any more stress on your battery. If you notice, the power to everything else is disabled when you are cranking the engine. You can also notice that the AC compressor doesn't kick in until the engine has been running for a very short time.

I would think turning the radio down would be simpler than turning off the radio and AC when you turn the engine off and then turning them back on again when you restart.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Not sure what you mean be "set up properly" ,,, looking in the manual and do not see anything about it.
I found the manual to be very uninformative and I found out most of the stuff by wandering around the settings. I also found some helpful suggestions on this forum. I had a BMW motorcycle that had a manual for the radio only that was larger than Honda's manual. It's strange to me that Honda makes such good cars and such poor manuals.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I found the manual to be very uninformative and I found out most of the stuff by wandering around the settings. I also found some helpful suggestions on this forum. I had a BMW motorcycle that had a manual for the radio only that was larger than Honda's manual. It's strange to me that Honda makes such good cars and such poor manuals.
The cynic in me says it's calculated so you'll hopefully seek out the dealer for advice !!! They evidently underestimate the power and knowledge available on your friendly owner's site !! Craig

·
Registered
98 Posts
Is the manual you can order for free online any better?
In my case, my 2016 CR-V came with a users "guide". It has some detail, but not nearly as much as needed. I found a users "manual" online in .pdf form, much more detailed and a lot more pages, of course. I was able to order a hardcopy for free, as they do this for the original owner within a certain period of time.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Mine does do as you say "osbornk", only problem is it defaults to the Wallpaper page and not the last screen which was the Home page. I still have to go back to the "warning message" and hit "Ok" before i can access any other screen or setting, it's nothing but a PITBA. :mad: :mad:

We are becoming slaves to technology and pandering to the Politically Correct, gone is the fun of motoring.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am finding the same thing. It is a pain to go through the OK and then wait every time you start the car. We also have a 2015 Fit and it shows the warning screen but after a very few seconds it goes away. Is there a workaround on the 2-16 CRV to make it do the same thing?

·
Super Moderator
3,272 Posts
The start up screen goes away on my 2016 after a few seconds. Usually by the time I'm ready to enter today's destination on the GPS.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts