Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haha so I was reading through different articles and tonight I’m in my forum zone between here and Toyota nation for a 2017 highlander.....

Why is it that items that cost fractions of the price of a car get firmware, software, or a bios update and more. When you buy a $20k-infinity car we get no updates nothing for the radio, sensors, computer, engine, or anywhere else. Why are vehicles so expensive but have zero support/updates after purchase?

Am I crazy.....I look forward to responses tomorrow haha. Someone is going to let me know I’m a nut case.

·
Registered
974 Posts
No, it's a great point. There's an occasional update but there has to be a significant need. Hopefully some day it improves but software support is tough enough without adding all the automotive baggage of design freezes, system complexity, liability risk, warranty risks, culture, possible government approval, marginal dealership competency, and planned obsolescence pushing you to the next model year.

·
Registered
309 Posts
All the manufacturers are struggling with this. Consider cases like Chrysler's ongoing recall for cruise control firmware. IIRC, it started at 4.8 million effected and is up to 5.3 million "upon further review". At, say, $100 per effected vehicle to manage it, herd the cars in, report quarterly on progress, and pay dealers a couple of tenths of hours to fumble around reprogramming them, it's upwards of a half a billion dollar problem. I'm aware of at least one case where a bug fix update/customer satisfaction fix for a minor issue added a new safety defect and recall of cars with the bug fix update. That kind of thing has to really scare them. Also the car makers have a regulatory obligation to manage configurations. (Precisely because of cases like that.) That complicates things. It's one reason Honda, among others, has been slow to make owner firmware upgrades easy. (And why their process, for the few models where it exists and those without their own ability to do it OTA, involves putting the memory stick back in the computer after the update and syncing that completion info back to Honda. I'm not clear how Honda assures owners comply with that part of the process.)

My signature on a 10th gen Civic forum: Honda has become a software company that also sells cars. Too bad they haven't realized it yet.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Agree with the above, im up at our lake house and my step father has a grand cherokee limited
He said he prob has gotten 7/8 recall notices since he purchased and the last was for the cruise control and says ‘dont use it’ lol
He has 80,000 miles on it and always good to know during that time could have stuck!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Yep, today's transportation - moving computer complexes steered mostly by humans some assisted by the computers.

Software for Airplanes (jets) have years of testing before being installed and they still have a few bugs. The software for the Space Shuttle was started in 1971 - over 10 years before the 1st flight and software bugs delayed most of the 1st 10 flights.

I have been an advocate that there should be at least 3 systems on every car that make decisions and 2 of the 3 need to agree before steering or breaking or adapting the cars speed. One system has too great a chance of an issue to happen. And the 3 systems need to be done by independent teams with no contact except on how to say what they need do to a master control computer that actually does the steering, acceleration or breaking.

·
Registered
202 Posts
For all these reasons I advocate driving your car as you would have say, 15-20 years ago, without all the fancy technology. Sure, you paid a premium for these features to be included on the car and in some cases, cars come with them whether you like them or not or even plan on using them. Knowing that they are faulty and have bugs and knowing that the manufacturer isn't likely to have a complete and definitive solution....it's safer to just not use any of those features. It's a tough pill to swallow knowing you paid for it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
For all these reasons I advocate driving your car as you would have say, 15-20 years ago, without all the fancy technology.
I just spent some time trying to think of functions on our 5th gen CR-V Touring that do not depend on software. Here's what I came up with:

glove compartment
gas door
hood latch/prop rod
adjusting the head rests
seat belt height/latch/unlatch
manual reversion braking with EBB out
manual reversion steering with EPS out
CVT parking pawl
EPB, once set
steering wheel tilt/telescope
maybe overhead courtesy light activation in the ON position; DOOR position probably depends on software
console trays/lids
dash A/C vent open/close/orientation (not that much would come out of them with no software)
lock/unlock driver's door via the backup mechanical key
manual door lock/unlock via the individual rockers
opening and closing doors if they are already unlocked
maybe power seat positioning
maybe closing and opening rear hatch without assist
4-way flashers
the parcel shade
rear seat fold
dip stick
consumables/fluids fill (gas, oil, washer, brake fluid, CVT fluid, diff oil, coolant)
changing a tire for the spare

There may be more but probably not many. You get the idea. I hedge on some because I don't know what all is directly wired to unswitched power besides a lot of (software-operated) control modules.

BTW, our 1986 Acura Integra, 33 model years ago, had Honda "PGM-FI"--software controlled fuel injection.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Testing?

At least some industries have a better approach to software testing. My last supervisor liked to give the new code a quick sanity check and let the end user find the errors. Yeah, f**k you V***e. He didn't work phone support, answering to peeved end users. F U x 10. That's my soap box.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts