Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm days away from buying a new CRV Hybrid. I never owned a hybrid but I drive about 25k miles a year and I was wondering if you guys (and gals) would suggest this vehicle for someone who drives a lot. I mean, I'll be well past 100k miles by the time I'm done paying for this thing so I need it to last.

Trying to decide between EX and EX-L at the moment. Is there much different between the two other than leather? I test drove a Touring at the local dealership as that's all they had in hybrid. I liked it so now I have to decide which one to buy... the Touring is out of my price range as I don't need the things it brings.

Any help/advice would highly be appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
We purchased an EX-L earlier this year. Like you we found the Touring to be out of our budget.

For me buying a CR-V at all was a difficult choice; I am not convinced the oil dilution issues from the last few model years are fully resolved.

My mechanic advised against the standard Turbo engine, stating the Turbos do not hold up as long as conventional engines, given the stress that is put on the engine from the Turbo function.

He was not crazy about the Hybrid option either, as it is new technology and unexpected problems could develop. Also the hybrid will require expensive battery maintenance at some point.

However, we have purchased mostly Hondas for many years, and wanted something smaller than our Odyssey.

As noted we did buy a Hybrid, but if the only engine available were the Turbo, would not have bought a CR-V

·
Registered
81 Posts
Trying to decide between EX and EX-L at the moment. Is there much different between the two other than leather?
Go to 2020 CR-V Specifications and Features

I know it adds some power features, like the liftegate and memory seats. My wife and I have a Goldilocks problem - 5 foot tall and 6 foot tall - so the memory seats were important.

Reactions: SunCat

·
Premium Member
CRV-Hybrid EX (actually, my ex is a Prius)
44 Posts
I would go for RAV4 Hybrid - If you aren't bothered by its looks. I couldn't force myself to drop $30K+ on something so unsightly, which is how I ended up with the CRV Hybrid after a long and very happy Prius ownership.

Other than the looks, the RAV Hybrid is just a better hybrid and a better vehicle overall.

·
Registered
2020 CR-V Touring Hybrid
76 Posts
I went with the hybrid because I wanted to stay away from the small 4 cylinder turbo, liked that the hybrid gives you a bit more HP and Torque, and overall I believe a bit more refined driving experience. I went for the Touring model, if only to get away from the god awful wheels they put on the other trims that look like flowers. 🙂 But I also wanted the more powerful stereo and the wireless phone charging. The EX-L has some features that I wouldn’t live without, but as @JeffJo says, take a good look at the comparison chart before you decide. Power tailgate, leather, Homelink would all be must haves for me.

·
Registered
2020 CRV Hybrid Touring - Sonic Grey Pearl
34 Posts
Sadly, I couldn't afford a Tesla just yet and stuck with what I have owned, the CR-V. When I saw they finally had a hybrid edition, it was a no brainer. The hybrid is so refined compared to previous models and so much fun to drive. I find excuses just to go drive. I wouldn't be too worried about reliability, the hybrid system was brought over from other Honda models and we haven't heard horror stories, at least not yet and hopefully never. Since you plan on keeping it for a while, you can get an extended 8 year 120k mile HondaCare warranty for about $1300 after purchase online.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,062 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Reactions: REBELCRV

·
Registered
2007 CR-V EX, 2020 CR-V Hybrid Touring
5 Posts
Go to 2020 CR-V Specifications and Features

I know it adds some power features, like the liftegate and memory seats. My wife and I have a Goldilocks problem - 5 foot tall and 6 foot tall - so the memory seats were important.
LOL I'll have to remember that reference "Goldilocks problem" ;) The memory seats were also a big factor in our decision to go with the Touring trim (my wife also really likes the kick feature of the power tailgate).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We purchased an EX-L earlier this year. Like you we found the Touring to be out of our budget.

For me buying a CR-V at all was a difficult choice; I am not convinced the oil dilution issues from the last few model years are fully resolved.

My mechanic advised against the standard Turbo engine, stating the Turbos do not hold up as long as conventional engines, given the stress that is put on the engine from the Turbo function.

He was not crazy about the Hybrid option either, as it is new technology and unexpected problems could develop. Also the hybrid will require expensive battery maintenance at some point.

However, we have purchased mostly Hondas for many years, and wanted something smaller than our Odyssey.

As noted we did buy a Hybrid, but if the only engine available were the Turbo, would not have bought a CR-V
I'm coming from a 2018 Civic Si which has the same engine as the non hybrid CRV and I didn't have any oil dilution issues even though that's all people seem to be talking about with these engines. I think the fact that I drive so much kinda prevents that. I got 2 samples of my oil analyzed and the dilution levels were below average. It's also nice to not need to use premium fuel.

The reason I want the hybrid is fuel economy. I have gotten as high as 50mpg with my Si on the highway but once I hit city streets, the fuel economy plummeted. I just worry about owning a hybrid with 100-150k and then having expensive problems rise.

·
Registered
240 Posts
On the city streets the MPG will be very good
I understand your worries about owning a CRV with 100-150k
but some of the toyota hybrid's used as taxis have done a lot more miles than that and I think that some high mileage ones only need the water pump replaced
the atkinson engine has been around for a very long time

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
On the city streets the MPG will be very good
I understand your worries about owning a CRV with 100-150k
but some of the toyota hybrid's used as taxis have done a lot more miles than that and I think that some high mileage ones only need the water pump replaced
the atkinson engine has been around for a very long time
But also let's not forget that Honda is not Toyota. In 2019 among top ten SUV's by reliability (USA figures) there are 3 Toyotas and zero Hondas. Speaking of hybrids only: what's Honda equivalent of the Prius? Highlander? RAV4-PHEV? etc

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would go for RAV4 Hybrid - If you aren't bothered by its looks. I couldn't force myself to drop $30K+ on something so unsightly, which is how I ended up with the CRV Hybrid after a long and very happy Prius ownership.

Other than the looks, the RAV Hybrid is just a better hybrid and a better vehicle overall.
I am just a bit confused why you bought a car that you think is second best
When the lateset Prius came out it would of one first prize for being ugly
but now there are more on the road they don't stand out
I didn't try the Rav 4 because of the lack of height adjustment on the passenger seat
They did the same on the prius and when asked why they said it was to save weight but I did try the prius twice and nearly bought one
Who knows long term how good the Honda CRV will be but I am still happy after 6 months

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone have any more thoughts on someone planning on really racking up the miles quickly and how that relates to long term ownership? I plan on keeping my next vehicle for a very long time. I'm looking to at least get 200k out of this thing and as we all know, the warranties top out at 120k.

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
Anyone have any more thoughts on someone planning on really racking up the miles quickly and how that relates to long term ownership? I plan on keeping my next vehicle for a very long time. I'm looking to at least get 200k out of this thing and as we all know, the warranties top out at 120k.

Thanks guys
My projections for long-term car ownership have never come true, so I no longer make them :). I'll just drive Blanda for as long as it doesn't give me grief, because its geometry is right, the appearance is pleasant, and the AWD and creature comforts are included.

Anyway, who knows what will happen even in 2021, let alone 2024, by which Blanda should get paid off. The pandem(on)ic showed us that half of the labor force can work from home, if needed. What does it mean for the automotive industry long term?

Also, are the Millennials the last generation, interested in owning and driving a private vehicle daily? A bonus question: Is the era of affordable and useable EV's still 2-3 years away, as it was in 2017?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts