Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve searched my manuals and I can find no mention of how one would go about starting their car if the Smart Entry Remote stopped working entirely. More than just a weak battery.
You can use the built-in hidden metal key to get into the car, then what?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Apparently, you should be able to start the car by placing the key fob directly on top of the Start/Stop button, then pressing the button.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently, you should be able to start the car by placing the key fob directly on top of the Start/Stop button, then pressing the button.
They mention a weak battery when using that method. I’m talking about a totally dead remote. Like it fell in a lake or something.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
When you have battery, there's a two-way conversation between the transmitter and your car (you actually see a light on your remote blink.) I expect there is a "backup" chip that operates on a proximity basis for when the transmitter is dead. (Like the chips cars without keyless start use.)

Easy enough to test; simply pull the battery from the remote and see what happens...

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got off the phone with American Honda at 800-999-1009. The customer service representative, Naomi, checked with someone and was told that if the remote unit has been destroyed or water damaged there is no way to start the car with only the metal key. The car will have to be towed to a Honda dealer.
About the same scenario as just losing your key. The bad news is that the old “hidden key” method won’t work either due to proximity.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Technology has a price and a limit. I am old and remember a time when if a car wouldn't start you could push it and pop the clutch and get it to run. God I feel old! Oh, and I do NOT want to go back to those days! No way, no how!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just got off the phone with American Honda at 800-999-1009. The customer service representative, Naomi, checked with someone and was told that if the remote unit has been destroyed or water damaged there is no way to start the car with only the metal key. The car will have to be towed to a Honda dealer.
About the same scenario as just losing your key. The bad news is that the old “hidden key” method won’t work either due to proximity.
You could do the ole hidden key/remote method. Just pull out the battery and tape it to it, then put in the battery if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
548 Posts
Technology has a price and a limit. I am old and remember a time when if a car wouldn't start you could push it and pop the clutch and get it to run. God I feel old! Oh, and I do NOT want to go back to those days! No way, no how!
Sometimes being able to push start a car can save you hours of being stranded, modern technology has it's advantages and so do some of the old school tricks.
I don't want to have to be push starting a car at my age either.:D

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I drove all summer once with a dead battery by the old "pop the clutch". Couldn't afford a battery. Oh yea, reverse didn't work either. Had to plan where to park it. Felt like a King when I bought a new VW Karmann Ghia

1 - 13 of 13 Posts