Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2007 EX-L Front Wheel Drive with Navigation.
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi neighbors,

My 2007 CRV has one back shock absorber that just started leaking in August 2020. It is going to be quite an expense for me. I have been reading various opinions on the internet. So because I am retired and I drive slowly and carefully I am wondering how soon I need to get those back shocks replaced? I have 132,000 plus miles on the car. From what I have read, there are various opinions including that a beginning leak is no big deal as long as you are careful when driving. I am wondering if I can buy more time since I drive approximately 200 miles a month? And should I just keep driving until the other back shock starts leaking? I have also read that the original shocks (which mine are) will last longer than the the new replacement part which will be the OEM. I really enjoy this forum because I learn so much. Thank you for all replies.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,955 Posts
Can you 'feel' the bad shock (vibrations or a relative loss of control)? Have you tried doing a 'bounce test' comparing both rear sides? Likewise, if someone can follow you down a road, ask if they can see a vibration or bounce in that wheel.

If the answer is NO, keep driving. I'd spray some aerosol silicone up into the shocks on all four corners, to keep the seals supple.

I've had shocks weep a bit with no immediate effects.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Can you 'feel' the bad shock (vibrations or a relative loss of control)? Have you tried doing a 'bounce test' comparing both rear sides? Likewise, if someone can follow you down a road, ask if they can see a vibration or bounce in that wheel.

If the answer is NO, keep driving. I'd spray some aerosol silicone up into the shocks on all four corners, to keep the seals supple.

I've had shocks weep a bit with no immediate effects.
Hi Carbuff , I don't feel anything differently at all when driving. Good idea to get silicone spray. Wonder if this is something I can do on the ground myself by watching YouTube, LOL. Or perhaps take it to a garage? So I am seeing a small leak about every two weeks on my garage floor. Do I need to get the shocks if the leak shows up more often?
Thank you for your reply.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,955 Posts
If it's actually DRIPPING, that is more than WEEPING. If you can't feel a difference in the way it drives, I'd 'carry on'. Do the Bpounce test and observe the wheel in question while you are following the V.

The silicone spray can be pointed onto the shock's chrome tube, you might need to jack up the wheel to get the spray nozzle pointed in.

Reactions: Epona

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it's actually DRIPPING, that is more than WEEPING. If you can't feel a difference in the way it drives, I'd 'carry on'. Do the Bpounce test and observe the wheel in question while you are following the V.

The silicone spray can be pointed onto the shock's chrome tube, you might need to jack up the wheel to get the spray nozzle pointed in.
Apparently, it is weeping. I will do the bounce test then. Muchas gracias.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
If it is leaving a wet spot on the floor it is leaking. Weeping would have the body of the shock damp.
You could likely get away with running them a while longer. At 200 miles a month probably quite a bit longer. Give it the bounce test every couple of weeks.
I wouldn't spray them with anything. The seals are already done & it will make it difficult to differentiate between the silicone and the shock oil.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
452 Posts
You'll be fine, they just dampen the load transferring to the body. At the worst, you may experience some handling issue.
Plan on doing the repair, 2 new shocks, in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You'll be fine, they just dampen the load transferring to the body. At the worst, you may experience some handling issue.
Plan on doing the repair, 2 new shocks, in the not too distant future.
Hey, thank you for your reply. I am trying to figure out if I should put on KYB or OEM see struts/shocks. Do you have an opinion by any chance?

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to report back, I went to a local garage (not the dealership) and got the KYB struts for the back end. I got them at a better price than previously. My CRV rides much smoother now. What a difference new shocks/struts make. 😊

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Just to report back, I went to a local garage (not the dealership) and got the KYB struts for the back end. I got them at a better price than previously. My CRV rides much smoother now. What a difference new shocks/struts make. 😊
Most people don't realize the subtle change for the worse, as struts/shocks get older.

Congrats.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your replies!
Yes,it really has made a difference.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just had my 2009 Honda CRV oil change at the dealership. Mileage is about 125K. It's been garage kept and driven carefully but they told me the rear shocks are leaking and need to be replaced. Cost will be over $1500. Is this a reasonable price for the repair? I really haven't noticed any issues with the car but plan to keep it at least until I get to 150K miles.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just had my 2009 Honda CRV oil change at the dealership. Mileage is about 125K. It's been garage kept and driven carefully but they told me the rear shocks are leaking and need to be replaced. Cost will be over $1500. Is this a reasonable price for the repair? I really haven't noticed any issues with the car but plan to keep it at least until I get to 150K miles.
[/QUO.
Hey hi there,

I see you found my post on my rear shocks. I actually had a slight leak that showed up on my garage floor. My local garage for KYB shocks for the rear was just under $900.00. Something like $890.00 for the rear pair. So I looked at the reviews for different name shocks and went with KYB. I also read about shocks on this site where KYB was recommended.

Wow, over $1500.00 for shocks, I'd call around to different garages. The garage I go to is very popular and has good reviews. I asked my neighbors too if they had a garage they preferred.

And I recently got those shocks so I am thinking that should be a standard current price. Let us know how you fare.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,955 Posts
If you don't notice any issues with the car, and it still controls the suspension adequately for you, just take the shop's recommendation under advisement and keep driving. 💪

Does it still pass the 'Bounce Test"?

·
Registered
2012 CR-V EX-L
4 Posts
Hey hi there,

I see you found my post on my rear shocks. I actually had a slight leak that showed up on my garage floor. My local garage for KYB shocks for the rear was just under $900.00. Something like $890.00 for the rear pair. So I looked at the reviews for different name shocks and went with KYB. I also read about shocks on this site where KYB was recommended.

Wow, over $1500.00 for shocks, I'd call around to different garages. The garage I go to is very popular and has good reviews. I asked my neighbors too if they had a garage they preferred.

And I recently got those shocks so I am thinking that should be a standard current price. Let us know how you fare.
Hey there , thanks for sharing your info. I just read the thread since I am looking for suspension on my vehicle myself. My front driver side suspension feels super bouncy. Took it to the dealership where I picked up my 2012 CRV couple of months ago to replace the sway bars since they were covered under warranty. Got the vehicle back but it’s still bouncy but they said they found leaking on both front struts so they need to be replaced. They gave me a quote of $1000 for front suspension which I said no thanks since I rather have a “real mechanic” take care of it. But I’ll look into the KYB struts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey there , thanks for sharing your info. I just read the thread since I am looking for suspension on my vehicle myself. My front driver side suspension feels super bouncy. Took it to the dealership where I picked up my 2012 CRV couple of months ago to replace the sway bars since they were covered under warranty. Got the vehicle back but it’s still bouncy but they said they found leaking on both front struts so they need to be replaced. They gave me a quote of $1000 for front suspension which I said no thanks since I rather have a “real mechanic” take care of it. But I’ll look into the KYB struts.
KYB is probably the best bang for buck. Monroe, Detroit Axles and similar brands are a cheap option however in the long run you might end up spending the same amount of money vs a KYB since you have to replace them. KYB has these things called "Strut Plus" it is the struts and springs already attached, so it will make it an easy DIY. If you take it to a mechanic you can just buy the struts itself and reuse the OEM springs. But mind as well change the springs. Assuming you plan on keeping the car.

$1,000 is pretty expensive, just to do the front. I am guessing the OEM stuff is very expensive. KYB should be just as good as OEM, probably not better for sure.

·
Registered
2012 CR-V EX-L
4 Posts
KYB is probably the best bang for buck. Monroe, Detroit Axles and similar brands are a cheap option however in the long run you might end up spending the same amount of money vs a KYB since you have to replace them. KYB has these things called "Strut Plus" it is the struts and springs already attached, so it will make it an easy DIY. If you take it to a mechanic you can just buy the struts itself and reuse the OEM springs. But mind as well change the springs. Assuming you plan on keeping the car.

$1,000 is pretty expensive, just to do the front. I am guessing the OEM stuff is very expensive. KYB should be just as good as OEM, probably not better for sure.
Awesome. Thank you for the info on KYB. I was looking into the KYB strut plus earlier and it was something I was leaning towards and found some auto stores near by that had them available for pick up.
Yes $1,000 was way too much. I laughed out loud when I heard the price. In the past I’ve bought all 4 KYB AGX struts and H& R racing springs in my old 1993 Honda Accord (CB7) for under $1,000.

·
Premium Member
2018 EX-L fwd
670 Posts
Will second getting the KYB strut Plus. Replaced all 4 struts in '08 CR-V after about 150,000 miles. Dramatic improvement over OEM struts. Front Complete Strut Assemblies

At that time, KYB didn't have complete strut assemblies. Had to dissemble each strut, then reassemble with new shock component. Having complete strut probably would have saved me around a couple of hours wrenching time.

Since you'll have done most of the work getting the struts off, I'd also look at replacing the linkage and sway rod bushings for each axle. That way, you shouldn't have to worry about those components again.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts

It is difficult to do a comparison with the dealer price you received. If they are using Honda replacement parts, the front strut assemblies vary from $350 ea. to $520 ea. That is a discounted price, MSRP adds about $200 ea. Then there is the strut removal and replacement which is pretty straight forward, and a wheel alignment, shop supplies, and likely disposal fees. One unknown is the labor rate charged in your area. It adds up quickly.

Aftermarket KYB or Bilsteins are considerably lower cost. There is still the R & R, alignment, and misc. fees from a independent shop. One thing the independents do, they charge full MSRP or more for the parts. It makes additional profit for them as they are able to purchase parts at a much lower cost than the average person can get, because of the volume they do with their supplier.

·
Registered
2014 EX-L AWD
84 Posts
don't know where you live....but can you search around for a garage that will install your parts? it took me awhile, but i have found one where i live. i have saved alot of dough over the years using them for my older vehicles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts