Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there one grease I can use on practically anything? I have the Valvoline red multi grease.

I want something I can pump into ball joints, use for brake shims, basically any joint that wants to creak and groan.

White lithium, moly, etc?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Is there one grease I can use on practically anything?
Short answer is no. High speed/high temp applications (e.g. drive shaft bearings) will require special grease like moly grease. I think some of the OEM parts come with a packet of appropriate grease.

For other Applications (non-high speed/high temp):
- if the part is exposed to elements (e.g. brake calipers) - use silicone grease
- If the part is not exposed (e.g. unexposed door hinges, inside engine bay) - multi-purpose grease

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Short answer is no. High speed/high temp applications (e.g. drive shaft bearings) will require special grease like moly grease. I think some of the OEM parts come with a packet of appropriate grease.

For other Applications (non-high speed/high temp):
- if the part is exposed to elements (e.g. brake calipers) - use silicone grease
- If the part is not exposed (e.g. unexposed door hinges, inside engine bay) - multi-purpose grease
Would it do harm to use moly grease on other uses like unexposed hinges? I'm just thinking if I buy one grease gun, I'd rather not have to put different greases in there.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I know exactly how you feel ;) I went through the same thing when I needed to grease propeller shaft joint with moly grease on my ex-SUV. So, no problem using moly grease on unexposed hinges, other than that it is expensive and I think it's only sold in those big tubes. And you need the big grease gun. If you can find a small tube of moly grease, it will work out more cost effective.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to get a small pistol grease gun that can be bulk packed. That way I can get a jar of the stuff and just stuff it in there. I've heard only bad things about the canister style guns.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,072 Posts
Is there one grease I can use on practically anything?
Do you plan to use it as hair gel? LOL

I agree with the points mentioned above.

My garage's supply cabinet contains high-temp synthetic grease for brake use; Multi Grease for wheel bearings and general lubrication; aerosol lithium grease; a grease gun (with flexible hose and needle applicator fitting) for the chassis; and Anti Seize for lug nuts and other fasteners.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The answer is no, i have 7 or 12 different ones in the garage... They all have different purposes, molykote, silicon grease, copper grease, you name it i got it.

1 grease to rule them all is a dream :) sorry !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts