Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ruined one front tire. the tire store told me I would have to get 4 new tires since it is an AWD. Anyone else ran into this? Do I REALLY need to buy 4 new tires??

·
Registered
474 Posts
Unless you have less than 500 miles on the other tire - they have to be bought in pairs - not all 4.

The 2014 and newer TPMS uses the rotations sensors of the ABS system to calculate if the tire pressure is low. The difference in the drivers side vs the passenger side is how it does it - 500 miles of driving is enough to trigger a false TPMS issue.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I replaced one tire at 12K miles......no issues.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I also blew the right front tire out on my 2014 EX AWD.
I took it to the dealer, who took a "matching" tire of the same brand and size off of a CR-V in their lot.
They put it on the right front, and then told me to come back in a couple of months for a rotation. I've done two rotations since then, and have over 40,000 miles on the CR-V with no issues.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Put the equal tires in the front so it'll not interfere with AWD monitoring and roll the differential. The TPMS will re-learn the new tire in the back and be ok.

You'll be fine either way.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,461 Posts
The ABS is less critical than the size difference between new & used tires. That could cause the pumps in the differential to overheat.

Another strategy is to buy one new tire but have it shaved to an equal tread depth as the other one on that axle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unless you have less than 500 miles on the other tire - they have to be bought in pairs - not all 4.

The 2014 and newer TPMS uses the rotations sensors of the ABS system to calculate if the tire pressure is low. The difference in the drivers side vs the passenger side is how it does it - 500 miles of driving is enough to trigger a false TPMS issue.
Thank you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Put the equal tires in the front so it'll not interfere with AWD monitoring and roll the differential. The TPMS will re-learn the new tire in the back and be ok.

You'll be fine either way.
Does yur answer apply to the 2005 model year?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Does yur answer apply to the 2005 model year?
Every model year. The CR-V have basically the same AWD opration since the beginning with some electronic interference added with every new generation. The first radically different one is the new hybrid that does not have a prop shaft/rear differential, the rear wheels operate electrically.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I ruined one front tire. the tire store told me I would have to get 4 new tires since it is an AWD. Anyone else ran into this? Do I REALLY need to buy 4 new tires??
Been there, done that. :)

You do not need 4 new tires. Worst case, you might need a pair.. if the current tires are very old and worn.

My tires had about 10k miles on them (Michelin Defenders) at the time of loosing a tire to a side wall puncture. 2008 CRV AWD.

In my case, the tire store simply advised that I put the exact same tire brand and model on as replacement so that the driving characteristics of the tires would match and not mess with the AWD systems on the vehicle. So I replaced the bad tire, as recommended, with a new one of the same brand and model.. and no issues. This was Americas Tire by the way, and they are very professional, conservative, and yet don't mess with their customers wallet unnecessarily.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
The ABS is less critical than the size difference between new & used tires. That could cause the pumps in the differential to overheat.

Another strategy is to buy one new tire but have it shaved to an equal tread depth as the other one on that axle.
What I learned from my tire store (Americas Tire) is that tread design is more important then tread depth, as long as the current tires have more then 70% of tread remaining. In other words.. putting a completely different brand and model of tire is very problematic for the AWD systems.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
No unless it is directional or the others worn down a great deal. Someone did this to my sister also.

·
Registered
98 Posts
It is absolutely fine to buy just one tire as long as you aren't doing so in order to extend the use of the other severely worn tires. Total fallacy that you will hurt the transmission/drivetrain by replacing only one tire - the justification/warning is that the slight circumference difference between the new and existing tire is a problem. Well guess what - the circumference of tires also changes when the tires have a couple pounds different tire pressure and i can guarantee that many of us have variations in our tire pressures over time.

Another thing - make sure to put the best tread tires on the front - as they wear faster in front and 70%+ of your braking is handled by the front tires. I've done lots of track time in Formula II cars and it's always better to have your best tires up front so you don't have "understeer" and end up in a wall. Tire stores will often try to put the best treads on back - citing a contrived tire manufacturer study that claims the back end can slip out on you (i.e. fishtail) if you don't put the best treads on back. Problem is nobody will ever replicate the conditions in the study and reacting to and recovering from a fishtail ("oversteer") is much easier than recovering from the car not turning as you are headed towards an obstacle. Furthermore, putting the best treads in back just wears the lower tread front tires further and then the tire stores will tell you to buy all 4 tires at once. Don't believe them!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thank you.
Sorry - not true. As I mentioned in my other post >>>

It is absolutely fine to buy just one tire as long as you aren't doing so in order to extend the use of the other severely worn tires. Total fallacy that you will hurt the transmission/drivetrain by replacing only one tire - the justification/warning that the circumference difference between the new and existing tire is a problem. Well guess what - the circumference of tires also changes when the tires have a couple pounds different tire pressure and i can guarantee that many of us have variations in our tire pressures over time.

Another thing - make sure to put the best tread tires on the front - as they wear faster in front and 70%+ of your braking is handled by the front tires. I've done lots of track time in Formula II cars and it's always better to have your best tires up front so you don't have "understeer" and end up in a wall. Tire stores will often try to put the best treads on back - citing a contrived tire manufacturer study that claims the back end can slip out on you (i.e. fishtail) if you don't put the best treads on back. Problem is nobody will ever replicate the conditions in the study and reacting to and recovering from a fishtail ("oversteer") is much easier than recovering from the car not turning as you are headed towards an obstacle. Besides putting the best treads in back just wears the lower tread front treads further and then the tire stores will tell you you have to buy all 4 tires at once. Don't believe them!

·
Registered
70 Posts
the justification/warning is that the slight circumference difference between the new and existing tire is a problem. Well guess what - the circumference of tires also changes when the tires have a couple pounds different tire pressure and i can guarantee that many of us have variations in our tire pressures over time.
I hate to disagree with someone that has done lots of track time in Formula II cars, and he may know better, but I am an engineering physics major and several of us discussed this very issue. To first order (major effect), tires don't expand that much with pressure, the main affect is more flat rubber on the ground. Taking a tape measure around the tire, the measurement doesn't change that much with pressure. Therefore if one tire is a little lower in pressure, it will still rotate at the same rotation rate as the other three. To say it another way, there is the same length of rubber that contacts the road with each tire rotation, not matter the pressure, up to almost flat. To second order (i.e. a smaller effect) at lower pressure the tire does not lie flat on the ground but kind of has a 'reverse' bubble, and what drier said is partly true, but its a small effect.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'll just say want happened to us. We had a used 1991 GMC AWD Safari van. It was really hard on the front tires, especially the outer part of the thread. About ready to go on a 3,000 mile road trip, we replaced the front tires, the rears looked like they had plenty of thread. So the front and rears, although same size, were different brands. Some weeks later we then had some service done by the dealer right before we left and they rotated the tires. Now I have to admit it was later discovered (we suspected something) that the transfer case had some problems, like it was OK for larger tires to be on the front, but not on the back. Well we made it about 25 miles on the freeway on our road trip and the kids said there was smoke coming out the rear of the car, it was thick. Basically the rear differential was boiling over out its vent. Later it was noticed that the rear differential had gotten so hot the paint had started to peal. We had to replace both the rear axle as it had warped, and a new transfer case.
You guys can argue about this all you want, if its even appropriate to compare the two vehicles and whether the transfer case was to be blamed, that's just the facts. But now on AWD I just get all four tires at once, its not worth destroying your first vacation in a couple of years over. Keep an eye on those tires, and the pressure and rotate on a schedule.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First ran into the "have to buy four new tires" because one was not repairable back in 2003. The big northwest chain (Les Schwab) required we buy four. Costco required we buy four on an AWD car (Subaru).

In 2011 I ran into it again when I flat-spotted the front tires on a 4-WD Tacoma. Costco said their insurance would not allow them to install only two new tires. Logic and reason be damned.

Shortly after that I heard the question come up on CarTalk. They said all you had to do was replace the bad tire with another that had a reasonably close circumference as the others.

We got a bolt embedded in the front tire of our AWD 2017 Ridgeline. Just in case a repair would not be allowed, I started researching.

I discovered that there are a lot the OEM tires on eBay with varying amounts of tread. If I had needed to replace the one tire, it would have been easy to buy a replacement with the correct amount of tread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
tire with different tread-pattern is fine.
because asphalt underneath left-tire maybe is different from asphalt underneath right-tire.
honda-crv-year-2019,2013 roller-test:
(2019 Honda CR-V Real Time AWD vs 2013 Honda CR-V Real Time AWD - 4x4 test on rollers) from youtube-search(crv awd test)result 3

so to reduce tire-rubber-waste.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you have traction control, you’ll need 4 new tires. That’s what the experts say

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
15 Participants
williamsji
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing