Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 99 CRV. I love it I am a Honda fanatic. The problem is it's MPH is terrible. I still remember my 94 civic that got 34mph. I know I'll never get my V to that but I feel like I could at least get it running better than it is. The spark plug wires look pretty new and they're NGKs. I haven't checked out the plugs themselves yet. I'm changing the fuel filter this Sunday. Any other suggestions on how to improve my fuel economy on my V? Oh and tires look good as well. Battery is from 2012.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Yes your mpg should be better. Your mpg is a reflection of many things. Here are some tips:

Driving Habits, i.e., for best gas mileage ease the accelerator to move forward, drive the speed limits, maintain a moderate speed, anticipate stops by coasting.
Quality of Gas, i.e., use a top tier branded gas of the recommended 87 octane as per the owners manual.
Tires, i.e., check and maintain the recommended air pressure regularly. Overfill by just a little will also help the mileage although too much over and you will have a rough ride.
Engine, i.e., maintain the engine by following the owners manual guidelines. Fluid changes, spark plugs, clean filters will certainly help obtain satisfactory mph goals.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
776 Posts
No clue where you live but my mileage has gone from about 29 in August to 26 currently. Of course, we just went thru a wicked cold snap which turns all liquids to very thick soup !! I did notice the other day that when cold, my tach reads about 500 rpm's higher than it normally would in Summer.
As Jim said, it's probably a combination of things. I'd start with the easiest first - tire pressures, air filter, etc etc. Keep us posted, I'm curious. Craig

·
Registered
197 Posts
EPA is 21mpg combined and Fuelly users have gotten 23.02mpg (small grain of salt for selection biases there).

You don't say where you are but it's probably not so warm this time of year. Winter formulation gas, denser air, more time needed to warm the engine up. If you're getting 19mpg whilst city driving in flat areas in winter, you're doing okay (and pretty good if your typical journey is under 5 miles or there's much traffic involved). If you're getting 19mpg on a 55mph highway for long flat journeys at above-freezing temperatures, then something's very off. If you're getting 19mpg whilst doing 75mph for long journeys then I wouldn't be too surprised.

As jimbob15 says, check the tire pressures. They may not look flat, but there's barely any visible difference between the correct pressure and 10psi under.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Does it run smoothly with decent power?
How does the automatic transmission fluid look? Clarity, color, smell?
Air cleaner?
Ignition timing?
Does the rear diffy make noises , esp when doing slow tight turns?
Engine oil and filter. Quality ?
Brakes dragging (after driving for a while, stop and feel the wheels to see if any are hotter than the others)?
One way to check the spark plug wires is to get in in a dark room or at night and, while it is idling, mist water on the spark plug wires to see if there is much arcing.
Remove at least one of the spark plugs and see if it will give you any hints, such as a rich mixture (black and sooty) etc.
Condition of dist cap and rotor?
The NGK 4291 ZFR6F-11 V-Power Plug seem to work best on that gen of CRV. Many have problems with Bosch spark plugs in that yr CRV. The V-Power plug is also one of the cheapest.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay so swapped out the fuel filter and the spark plugs. The fuel filter was probably the original one as it rattled a lot on the inside. I installed a MAHL filter and it felt more solid, but they may mean nothing. I also swapped out the spark plugs. The #2 was a bitch to get out but yeah they were autolites which I've read a lot of people saying that they bad for Hondas. I put some NGK copper cores in there. So far so good! I just did this tonight but man it runs great! No more hesitation when driving off from a complete stop. We'll see how the fuel economy goes. Also I switched from Arco to shell gasoline. Arco is all I've ever put in my Hondas but I'm just seeing if it makes a difference. Plus now I use my credit card since I get miles.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Using different brands of gas occasionally is a good idea. I know 'we' get in a rut always buying the same old thing. But if we are getting good results then it is a good rut to be in!

I consistently get good gas mileage in mixed driving from 30-36 mpg. Living in a small rural Illinois town means that the majority of shopping involves driving 8 miles or more to and from. If I drive to a larger metropolitan area then it is a 30-50 mile trip each way. I enjoy driving so that happens mostly once a week sometimes twice. So the highway driving % is higher than my 'city' driving % which lends to better gas mpg averages. Certainly if one drives more in the city, and especially a very large city then it will be difficult to obtain the gas mileages the vehicles are supposed to get.

Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Happy to hear it is running a lot better. Good on changing the fuel filter and putting in the copper NGKs.
Don't forget to check the condition of your distributor cap and rotor.
Check your automatic tranny fluid for clarity, color and any burnt smell.
If any doubt, do at least one drain and fill. Easy to do, but just make sure you know where and how to fill it back up before draining it. Use either Honda DW-1 or another compatible synthetic atf, such as Valvoline MaxLife Dex\Merc (around $18/gal jug at WalMart). If it is really old or bad looking, do 4 drain and fills with driving in between each one to thoroughly mix it up.
If the rear diffy makes a howling, screeching or rubbing type sound while doing slow tight turns, drain and fill the rear diffy with Honda Dual Pump 2 fluid.
Don't forget about the coolant and brake fluid.
Having it run poorly for a long time can really play hell with the catalytic converter.
Have fun,
Buffalo4

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm just curious but if you're getting 19 mpg around town, that's about right. If you're getting 19 all-around in city/highway driving then that's not good.

My wife and I both have great running 1998 CR-V's and we both get around 18-20 mpg around town. When we travel on the freeway, cruising at a steady 65-70 the mileage soars.

On a recent trip from Calif. to Minnesota and back in my wife's V, we averaged around 32 mpg and that was doing mostly a steady 75 mph.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Happy to hear it is running a lot better. Good on changing the fuel filter and putting in the copper NGKs.
Don't forget to check the condition of your distributor cap and rotor.
Check your automatic tranny fluid for clarity, color and any burnt smell.
If any doubt, do at least one drain and fill. Easy to do, but just make sure you know where and how to fill it back up before draining it. Use either Honda DW-1 or another compatible synthetic atf, such as Valvoline MaxLife Dex\Merc (around $18/gal jug at WalMart). If it is really old or bad looking, do 4 drain and fills with driving in between each one to thoroughly mix it up.
If the rear diffy makes a howling, screeching or rubbing type sound while doing slow tight turns, drain and fill the rear diffy with Honda Dual Pump 2 fluid.
Don't forget about the coolant and brake fluid.
Having it run poorly for a long time can really play hell with the catalytic converter.
Have fun,
Buffalo4
Thanks for all the tips! The spark plug wires were NGKs which is great. I was shocked when I saw autolites in there. So it's had 3 owners before me. I guess one of them treated it right and the other one just didn't care/know. The funny thing is the NGK's were CHEAP. I paid $2.09 a pop at autozone! O'Reilly tried to sell me platinum cores telling me that was OEM for $11.98 per plug. The transmission fluid was pretty clear of particulates. I haven't heard any sounds when turning but honestly I've got my music on most of the time so I'll have to check it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm just curious but if you're getting 19 mpg around town, that's about right. If you're getting 19 all-around in city/highway driving then that's not good.

My wife and I both have great running 1998 CR-V's and we both get around 18-20 mpg around town. When we travel on the freeway, cruising at a steady 65-70 the mileage soars.

On a recent trip from Calif. to Minnesota and back in my wife's V, we averaged around 32 mpg and that was doing mostly a steady 75 mph.
Yeah I was getting 267 miles on a tank of gas which is less than 19mpg

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
The platinum plugs will work but many have had better luck with the V-groove copper ones, and they are low cost, as you found out. Probably should be changed around 30k miles.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Speaking personally, you couldn't pay me to use Arco gas in my cars.

Good luck in your hunt for more MPG's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Speaking personally, you couldn't pay me to use Arco gas in my cars.

Good luck in your hunt for more MPG's.
So I've seen all the anecdotal evidence of people speaking on the badness of Arco but every article I've read that has actual scientifically obtained data shows no evidence that Arco gas is any worse than the other brands. Especially in places like California where there are strict regulations on gas and additives anyway. I think the big thing difference is marketing. Marketing is psychological manipulation and it's good at it. You make people expect their car to run worse or better on a certain brand and they will usually unconsciously fulfill their preconceptions.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Having witnessed first hand the 'marketing' that Arco used and the price cutting tactics they employed to drive all the old mom and pop gas stations out of business here in California, I stand by my statement.
I have yet to hear anyone say 'Put this Arco additive in your tank and your car will run better.'
I'll keep pumping Chevron gas into my tanks, thank you.
YMMV of course.

And yes I know all the gas is 'the same' here. My brother-in-law owns an oil company that supplies them all with gas. They only differ in what additives they put in the mix.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts