Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I bought a new 2017 Honda CRV 1.4T 4WD because we plan to move to the Smoky Mtns and need 4WD for the roads. We live in Florida. We bought our "new" car on 12-27-2018 from a Florida Honda dealership.

I found out two weeks ago about the oil dilution issue, while researching to see if there were any recalls on this car, before taking it to my local FL dealership for an oil change. I was shocked to learn about the oil dilution issue as we plan to move to a colder climate, thus the 4WD, which we dont need in Florida, where its flat.

I checked our car, which had 6500 miles on it. The oil smelled like gasoline. Compared it to my 2011 Pilot - no gasoline smell.

We use the car for short trips about town. It had the original synth 0W20 oil in it, but I had the dealership change it early. The service advisor I spoke with seemed to know absolutely nothing about this issue, which was surprising, given that China has banned the sale of this model, affecting some 380,000 vehicles.

Worse, they would not put 5W-20 or 5W-30 oil in my engine, claiming it would void the warranty. I suggested this change due to the oil dilution issue, as it makes sense to me to use a lower viscosity oil since it is getting diluted. Nope. No can do.

I am also thinking that we should add Moroso oil separator filters as an after-market item to separate the fuel from the oil. They do this on race cars and muscle cars like Mustangs.

Of course, this would increase the risk that Honda would void the warranty on the engine, so I will hold off, but it seems like a valid fix to me.

I woke up to find the Consumer Reports article on my Chrome Browser. Really made my day. Now our nearly new car's value will drop to zero. No one will want to buy this car, just like the 2013 Ford Escape we had before this. Another lemon.

This time, I am fighting mad. I called Honda of American in Torrance and opened a claim under the FL Lemon Law. That seemed to get their attention.

I have also filed a complaint today with NHTSA dot gov. The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. I have asked NHTSA to do a safety recall, as the CR article suggests should be done. I mentioned that China has done a recall, why not us?

I strongly urge other CRV owners to contact Honda of America and file a complaint. There is strength in numbers. Also, call the toll free number for NHTSA and file a safety complaint. Believe me, if your engine breaks down in downtown Atlanta at rush hour, or on a dirt road in the Smoky Mtns, miles from civilization, it is a real safety issue. Either could happen.

I also recommend that everyone use synthetic oil and change their oil more frequently, like every 3000 or 4000 miles, not the 7500 that Honda recommends. Oil dilution with gasoline will render your oil ineffective at preventing damage to the engine.

I have asked Honda to pay for these extra oil changes and to extend the warranty to 120,000 miles for the engine. This is what they did for China. (124,000 to be exact in China, do the conversion). They can do it for us, too.

Meanwhile, every owner should do a sniff-test of their own dipstick. And check their oil level frequently. And run mid-grade or better gas. And warm the car before getting out on the road, and let Honda do all the oil changes, so they cannot blame you for the engine failure. Also, it is important to start the Lemon Law complaint as soon as you detect the problem. Don't expect your dealership to do much about this until HCA comes out with a TSB and a fix.

I am new to this forum, but I do not understand why there are all these "closed threads". Owners need an open thread to discuss this, so I am creating one, and I hope the moderators will leave it open, so owners can be better informed.

Because of the very strict rules on this forum, I am not allowed to post the CR reports article thread (???) which is maddening. But you can find it easily if you Google "Honda CRV oil dilution".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why not? This is the CRV owners forum. This issue is now known globally and all over the United States due to Consumer Reports. Your CRV, unless you sell it for cash this weekend, has no value to anyone now.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Why not? This is the CRV owners forum.
Unfortunately, these threads get locked because they stray off topic and have resulted in personal attacks.
All the (2300+) posts are still in the locked thread, feel free to browse a few sample posts, but you can't go more than maybe three pages without an argument starting that then lasts for 2 more pages.

Please re-read the CR article, it states that they intend to release a fix in November and that the same fix will be incorporated into the 2019 models before they are made available for sale.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Please let's not sweep this under the rug. The skeleton is now out of the closet.
I love our Honda CRV. It makes me want to vomit to find out, two weeks ago, that the oil in my car in Florida is diluted with gas.

However, I think there is a fix. Back in the 70s, we used to use "oil catch cans" on older pickups or cars with > 100K miles to get the crud out of the oil.

They use them on race cars, like the Shelby Mustang. Very expensive cars.

I think it might help with this problem. I have suggested it to Honda already. It is an easy thing to install if it will work.

Does anyone own a 2017 Honda CRV 1.4L Turbo that is out of warranty already? I don't dare try this on our new car, less Honda void my engine warranty. But, I think it could be tested to see if the gasoline could be filtered out right from the crankcase. Less gas, less dilution, if you get me.

See example:

Moroso 85488 Air and Oil Separator for Mazda Miata
by Moroso

(Sorry again, I can't post a link as a Newbie, so search for this on Amazon yourself. Amazon's ASIN is B00BT1C3TA. Can someone else post the link to this item?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As a newbie, I am unable to post the link to this article. Can you do it? there may be thousands of CRV owners that dont know about this issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any gearheads want to weigh in on this: I believe that 0W20 oil, which is Honda standard for the CRV is the wrong oil for this engine, given the dilution issue. I suggest 5W30 or 10W30, full synthetic only, due to the dilution issue. In other words, a prophylactic approach by using a higher viscosity.

My Honda dealership refused to use anything but 0W20. I get that. It's what they stock. But, I think that is putting ones head in the sand about this issue.

I would gladly give up a few MPG to have less dilute oil, which is better for the engine. Any thoughts from the gearheads out there?

·
Registered
341 Posts
A couple of Honda fan boys naysayers first got a bunch of threads combined and then worked hard to get that thread closed.
Now those with problems can’t talk about it, rather than stop a few fan boys who say they didn’t even have the problem but continued to stir the ones that did is just wrong.
So be careful with the heating thread or it will be closed also.
The thread should be reopened after the latest news and the naysayers should be addressed separately.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also, my best friend works at Bush Mazda in Jax. He is a Mazda gearhead and Mazda rally organizer and a Mazda nut.

He says, to be fair to Honda, that dilution is common on these smaller direct injection engines. Even Mazdas. But, their engines aren't grinding to a halt, so there is another issue here with this "earth friendly" 1.4L Turbo that Honda made.

There are obviously a variety of factors, too, such as cold weather, short trips (guilty as charged) , octane of the gas (we use Shell Midgrade only which may be helping), warming the engine (we do this, and its always a good idea) before takeoff, etc. etc.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I suggest 5W30 or 10W30, full synthetic only, due to the dilution issue. In other words, a prophylactic approach by using a higher viscosity.

My Honda dealership refused to use anything but 0W20. I get that. It's what they stock. But, I think that is putting ones head in the sand about this issue.
Not an incorrect theory, but would definitely void your warranty. With that in mind, it's your vehicle, put what you want in it.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,071 Posts
...Your CRV, unless you sell it for cash this weekend, has no value to anyone now.
You are frustrated, but isn't this is an off-the-wall overly strong statement? Honda has stated they have a fix, and as I (and others) have mentioned many times here (granted you are new) it takes a lot of time for them to engineer the fix, test it, and get it approved by the US EPA.

Take a big deep breath, it will be OK!

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
I would use the oil viscosity that Honda recommends, and not second guess them on that.
And a thicker oil diluted by fuel is still going to lose viscosity, regardless of the original viscosity rating.
Will a thicker oil last longer? Possibly, but how you are going to know how long it will last?
And do you really want to hire a lawyer to argue with Honda when they void your warranty for using the wrong oil?

Honda is coming up with a fix, and until they do and it's installed in your CR-V, check your oil level and smell frequently, and have it changed as needed.
And yes, contact American Honda Motor Corp and ask them to pay for the more frequent oil changes until the fix is applied and available for your CR-V.

·
Registered
257 Posts
For what it it's worth mine was getting free oil changes, due to the rising oil levels. but when I hit 12000 miles it quit. I still check it every day I drive it and it is holding. I still have other issues they can't or won't fix but oil deal is ok for now but winter is moving in. I hope the oil issue doesn't come back. The biggest issue now is loss of value, even if you don't have the problem..... jim

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
996 Posts
I'm sorry for the problem w/ your CR-V. Hasn't happened to me yet and I'm about to hit 25k. I am curious though. According to your profile you joined in July, 2018, bought in Dec 2018 and only have 9 posts. Did you not see all the threads re: the oil/gas problem? Did you take time to read all the posts about this issue? If you had I'm not sure why you went ahead w/ your purchase. I might would have been leery but when I bought mine it had only been out 2 mos. and nothing had surfaced. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.