Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Your wheel preference

• Silver

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Machine Faced

Votes: 8 88.9%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2021 CRV EX-L
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordering new rims. RTX Contour 18x8 and keeping the current tires since I've only had the suv a few weeks. Here are pics of the car and wheels. Been kind of waffling back and forth between silver and machine faced. Your opinion is appreciated. Saw someone do a poll like this and thought it was a great idea.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
4,879 Posts
I voted machine faced. Good luck.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
152 Posts
Also from Tucson, and prefer the silver. IMHO the machine face only look good when the rim width and tire width are a perfect match, and even then, the m/f doesn't look as good. Your mileage may vary of course ;)

·
Registered
2021 CRV EX-L
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also from Tucson, and prefer the silver. IMHO the machine face only look good when the rim width and tire width are a perfect match, and even then, the m/f doesn't look as good. Your mileage may vary of course ;)

View attachment 150113
Very cool, another desert dweller. Those look really good. What rim and tire size?

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
152 Posts
Very cool, another desert dweller. Those look really good. What rim and tire size?
Thnx. Those are 19x8 and 225x55. They're accura rdx from ebay 'new take offs'. 150 ea, shipped. Admittedly though, if you drive regularly on roads 'in need of repair', it can be a bit of a jarring ride. On good roads, they're awesome.

good luck with yer decision! Not an easy one for sure. Cheers

·
4,879 Posts
Wow! Lots of Tucsonans here now! Can you all believe the Monsson rains we had this summer? I think my rain gauge showed about 13.5 inches! And now extreme heat for a week. It's all good though. I'll take the heat, it's better than having to change those shiny new wheels to ugly winter tires/wheels every year! Ha! ;);)

I enjoy looking at all the wheel choices our members are considering, or have already have fitted.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
I enjoy looking at all the wheel choices our members are considering, or have already have fitted.
Same here. It's an easy way to change up the looks, and not too difficult to find take-offs from other Honda or Acura models that fit well (especially from Accords or other very popular models--the salvage yards have more of these than they know what to do with).

I have a set of wheels from the TSX I've thought of having refurbished and using on my CR-V. They look good from a distance but the surface corrosion beneath the tire bead needs to be refinished since we had at least four flats on these wheels due to having a rim leak. And they have a few minor spots of corrosion that need attention. (They're 16 years old.) Neat party trick--the center logo cap is interchangeable between wheels, so I can put the Honda cap on these. I still kind of prefer the more rugged CR-V looking wheel, but these might be good for a change.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
OEM wheel looks the best and probably the best quality. But everybody has different taste
That's why I prefer to stick to wheels from other Honda/Acura products. There are some nice aftermarket wheels, many of very high quality, but they all tend to look the same after a while. Honda has major wheel manufacturers (like Enkei) produce wheels for them, and in most cases I prefer the style of these OEM wheels over anything the aftermarket offers.

I had to buy aftermarket wheels for the TSX, but I went down to a 16" diameter so the ride would improve and the tires wouldn't be so expensive to replace. They look nice, but I'd have preferred they would have come from another Honda.

·
Registered
2021 CRV EX-L
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thnx. Those are 19x8 and 225x55. They're accura rdx from ebay 'new take offs'. 150 ea, shipped. Admittedly though, if you drive regularly on roads 'in need of repair', it can be a bit of a jarring ride. On good roads, they're awesome.

I'm with you on the lower profile tires on some of these road. Was driving a 2017 Accord Sport SE before I got the CRV and I believe that had 40's. So, I've hardly purchased anything on ebay other that some office equipment. Other than matching the bolt pattern, is there anything else to be aware of when purchasing wheels on ebay?

·
Registered
2021 CRV EX-L
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! Lots of Tucsonans here now! Can you all believe the Monsson rains we had this summer? I think my rain gauge showed about 13.5 inches! And now extreme heat for a week. It's all good though. I'll take the heat, it's better than having to change those shiny new wheels to ugly winter tires/wheels every year! Ha! ;);)

I'm kind of done with the monsoons. Love the extra rain and green but with it comes too many flies and mosquitos.

·
4,879 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
6,628 Posts
To me, an important factor is wheels that are somewhat resistant to curb rash, or at least the results of curb rash.

In this regard, the OEM wheels on current generation CRVs are pretty good, because they have machined the edges flat and with a small grooving pattern, which means if you do end up with a curb rash it is pretty easy to sand and polish out to where it looks fine.

Reactions: ZMan64

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
152 Posts
I'm with you on the lower profile tires on some of these road. Was driving a 2017 Accord Sport SE before I got the CRV and I believe that had 40's. So, I've hardly purchased anything on ebay other that some office equipment. Other than matching the bolt pattern, is there anything else to be aware of when purchasing wheels on ebay?
Bolt pattern as u mention, hub bore and offset also. I wouldn't consider anything but acura and honda wheels personally (most of them will work). Just checked and here's a link to the same set I have on ebay. They fit perfectly except the offset is 50 vs oem 45 (on my 2016). That means the wheels sit just shy of 1/4 inch in. No big deal as you can't even see that, or notice a difference when driving.

There are others, I've seen some acura 18's also, which, depending on nearby roads, may be a better choice.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
152 Posts
To me, an important factor is wheels that are somewhat resistant to curb rash, or at least the results of curb rash.

In this regard, the OEM wheels on current generation CRVs are pretty good, because they have machined the edges flat and with a small grooving pattern, which means if you do end up with a curb rash it is pretty easy to sand and polish out to where it looks fine.
Another thing to be sure to do is get tires that have a rim protection lip. The whole point of that is to (at least try) to avoid curb rash. I was looking at Mich and Conti's. Both came in the size needed (225x55), but only the conti's had a rim protection lip. Decision was easy.

·
Registered
2021 CRV EX-L
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Bolt pattern as u mention, hub bore and offset also. I wouldn't consider anything but acura and honda wheels personally (most of them will work). Just checked and here's a link to the same set I have on ebay. They fit perfectly except the offset is 50 vs oem 45 (on my 2016). That means the wheels sit just shy of 1/4 inch in. No big deal as you can't even see that, or notice a difference when driving.

There are others, I've seen some acura 18's also, which, depending on nearby roads, may be a better choice.
I was actually looking at those and a set of silver ones though they were a bit more expensive.

·
Registered
2021 CRV EX-L
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

So I found wheels like yours on ebay (sorry but it's a great look) that are 19x8 w/50 offset. Tried the fitment calculators but honestly not sure what I'm looking at and if they'll even fit. If they do fit, what tire size is recommended? I have a 2021 EX-L w/45 offset. Thanks

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
152 Posts
So I found wheels like yours on ebay (sorry but it's a great look) that are 19x8 w/50 offset. Tried the fitment calculators but honestly not sure what I'm looking at and if they'll even fit. If they do fit, what tire size is recommended? I have a 2021 EX-L w/45 offset. Thanks
Ha! no worries, the more the merrier. Yes, they will fit, pretty much perfectly. You can go with 225 or 235 width, the later models (17+) have 235. The stock for the 17 is 235x60x18 (ex or exl). So to go plus one (19") I'd go with 235x55x19 tires. If you go to tire size calculator and put in the numbers, you'll see that the speedo and actual speed would be so little difference you couldn't possibly notice it (at the reading of 20mph the actual would be 20.1, and at 90mph the actual would be 90.3! shockingly close).

cheers, post pics!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts