Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you in advance. I'm ready to buy Labor Day Weekend, 2018 CRV-EX or EX-L. I have some questions and would love opinions.

1) They only think I really want in the EX-L is HomeLink. Reviewing the differences, and I missing something that I won't be able to live with out (i.e. Power liftgate)?

2) 2WD or AWD, This is a commute vehicle, no major off road circumstances in my future.

3) Remote Start. Is this standard? It looks like it is, but part of HondaLink and not in the key-fob.

4) I thought I read something about noise canceling technology for the cabin, but heard nothing. Was I dreaming this?

I appreciate any time you take to answer any of These.

Regards,
Jeff

2013 Odyssey EX-L
2013 Civic LX

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Thank you in advance. I'm ready to buy Labor Day Weekend, 2018 CRV-EX or EX-L. I have some questions and would love opinions.

1) They only think I really want in the EX-L is HomeLink. Reviewing the differences, and I missing something that I won't be able to live with out (i.e. Power liftgate)?

We have thoroughly enjoyed the power lift gate, don't know what HomeLink is, LOL.

2) 2WD or AWD, This is a commute vehicle, no major off road circumstances in my future.

Snow/ice ON road?.....you need to make the call.

3) Remote Start. Is this standard? It looks like it is, but part of HondaLink and not in the key-fob.

Standard on EX and up.

4) I thought I read something about noise canceling technology for the cabin, but heard nothing. Was I dreaming this?

Yes it has electronic noise cancelation.

I appreciate any time you take to answer any of These.

Regards,
Jeff

2013 Odyssey EX-L
2013 Civic LX

See above.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If this is your first trip to the forum, I'd suggest you spend some time here and really look over all the info at your disposal. You can get many of your questions answered that way. I have ex-l and wouldn't go any lower, some days I wished I had sprung for the Touring. Do your research then come back here for unanswered questions. You also don't say where you're from so we can't speak for AWD vs. FWD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the answers, I will be spending a far amount of time her for sure, to find stuff on CarPlay, and a lot of stuff dont have on my current Honda vehicles. I do have a Odyssey EX-L, but mu wife drives that the most. I have the Civic LX. My sons will be be sharing the Civic, and I get the new ride.

To fill in the blanks, I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area in Santa Clara. Extreme Rarity for snow and ice plus never go to Tahoe, but seems most get AWD around here so not sure I was missing something.

So appreciate the quick replies.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
i did not spring for touring as a couple standards I did not want at all.

but i luv the power lift gate. that was one of my requirements that pushed me to the EXL.

also, not sure if diff b/n EX and EXL or LX and EX - larger wheels.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
AWD will give you a better resale value when you trade in.

Even with AWD, you get better MPG than other brands that are without AWD

·
Registered
104 Posts
I gave this detail in a recent thread and applies to most of your questions.

"I got the EX knowing the few features I missed out on with the next trim up: leather seats (I like the looks, easy cleaning of leather but cloth is fine), power lift gate (one day I'll have this but fine for now), auto dimming mirror with homelink (I thought I would really miss having this but it's a non issue) and HD Radio (well this I truly miss since I've had it in previous cars; Honda really missed the mark on this, however, there is a $178 fix for this that I'm really considering)."

Note - HD radio is not standard on the EX-L either (unless you get Navi)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Many of the reasons I went with the Touring include: the LED headlights , rain sensing wipers, and Hands free tailgate. I have 2WD and have no regrets. Just a bit better MPG, and a bit less maintenance costs.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Our mdx , rdx had power trunk and leather but we decided to go for the ex since power trunk was very slow and im too tall to ever use it lol

Our only requirements were auto start, navi (apple maps on carplay) & AWD since we get snow

Autostart is standard on EX and up
Along with sensing

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Yes an AWD Touring with leather seats etc will certainly have a higher resale value if it's within your budget.
I would also recommend getting the side window visors installed at the dealership.
And try to get some rubber floor mats ASAP.

Rob

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
i think it also comes down to how long you plan to keep the CRV. for me, i don't look to getting rid of it for many, many years - so resale value isn't a #1 concern.
just a thought.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
i think it also comes down to how long you plan to keep the CRV. for me, i don't look to getting rid of it for many, many years - so resale value isn't a #1 concern.
just a thought.

I/we have never bought a vehicle, new or used, with regard to resale value. If a vehicle doesn't fit our present/at the time needs, ain't buying it. I/we do place a lot of trust in the CR magazine ratings for the new vehicles they test and the reported older vehicle reliability stats based on owner surveys. Knock on wood, still haven't bought bought a bummer.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
AWD will give you a better resale value when you trade in.
This is like saying you'll get more change from a $20, than a $10. The initial cost premium for AWD is $1,400. When you go to sell down the road, you will not recoup all of that, maybe $500.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I/we have never bought a vehicle, new or used, with regard to resale value. If a vehicle doesn't fit our present/at the time needs, ain't buying it. I/we do place a lot of trust in the CR magazine ratings for the new vehicles they test and the reported older vehicle reliability stats based on owner surveys. Knock on wood, still haven't bought bought a bummer.
This is why I've never bought a Hyundai. For all their reliability claims ( and they may be just fine), they DON'T hold their resale value like a Honda does. I have nothing against them, but just look at their resales on car lots vs. Honda, Toyo, and even Nissan.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
This is why I've never bought a Hyundai. For all their reliability claims ( and they may be just fine), they DON'T hold their resale value like a Honda does. I have nothing against them, but just look at their resales on car lots vs. Honda, Toyo, and even Nissan.
This was my opinion at one time, too. Long story, but I bought a GM SUV with an LS2 Corvette engine in 2006. After gas prices went through the roof, I was paying >$500/mo for gas to and from work. I decided to bite the bullet with just under 30k miles and dump the 2 year old SUV. I took a 50% hit! I decided to replace it with a 2009 Sonata V6 Limited in March of 2008. Sticker was just slightly above what I got for my SUV in trade. I drove it 5 years without issue. When I traded it in I received about 60% of what I paid. The trade was negotiated after I already had a committed price on my new vehicle, so that doesn't factor in. It also matched what KBB said it was worth. Maybe it helped some that it showed being a 2009, even though i had it since early 2008, but still not bad.

·
Registered
237 Posts
This was my opinion at one time, too. Long story, but I bought a GM SUV with an LS2 Corvette engine in 2006. After gas prices went through the roof, I was paying >$500/mo for gas to and from work. I decided to bite the bullet with just under 30k miles and dump the 2 year old SUV. I took a 50% hit! I decided to replace it with a 2009 Sonata V6 Limited in March of 2008. Sticker was just slightly above what I got for my SUV in trade. I drove it 5 years without issue. When I traded it in I received about 60% of what I paid. The trade was negotiated after I already had a committed price on my new vehicle, so that doesn't factor in. It also matched what KBB said it was worth. Maybe it helped some that it showed being a 2009, even though i had it since early 2008, but still not bad.
In keeping with the saying of what has this got to do with the price of tea in China, you didn't tell us the color of either vehicle. In all fairness, you didn't start thread deviation. You just took it into uncharted waters.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
In keeping with the saying of what has this got to do with the price of tea in China, you didn't tell us the color of either vehicle. In all fairness, you didn't start thread deviation. You just took it into uncharted waters.
Well, since most of the OP's questions were either answered, or personal preference items, I had nothing to add. Much like you. :) I did respond to the resale concern, though. Which in turn led to the derivative.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I bought an EX AWD, and considered the EX-L and Touring. Here's my input:

1) In your situation I'd go without the AWD. I got AWD because I live in mountains and we get snow. In SoCal and with no off-road plans, I'd save the money and enjoy the 2-5 extra MPG with the non-AWD version. Paying extra for resale value is false economy, as Mike728 pointed out.

2) I've had leather in my last 4 cars, but every day in the summer when I get into the hot car after work and sit on that cloth seat, I thank God I don't have leather seats. And in the winter I'll be doing the same on really cold days. Now, at some point in the future, I or a passenger will spill something on the seat, and eventually one of those spills may well stain the cloth where it would've just wiped off the leather. Then I won't be so happy to have the cloth seats. But if the stain's bad enough I'll get seat covers, or otherwise I'll just live with it and still be happy I'm not burning or freezing my butt and back in the summer and winter, respectively. I'm keeping the car until I hit something like 200,000 miles, so the resale impact of a stain is not important to me, and thus I'll enjoy the original upholstery until the stain occurs rather than buying seat covers now to prevent the stain.

3) I don't really miss the power liftgate. If I could get one for free or cheap, I'd do it, but it's not all positive. It's slower to open than manual, though perhaps "quicker" to close since you can press the button and walk away as it closes (slowly). It adds a motor that could eventually be a repair item. And if you want to install a towing hitch, the hitch will likely obstruct the foot-sensor. That's not to say it's a net negative. I think it's a net positive, just not one I thought worth the money.

4) I'd like to have the Homelink mirror. But not at the price of the leather package.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Well, since most of the OP's questions were either answered, or personal preference items, I had nothing to add. Much like you. :) I did respond to the resale concern, though. Which in turn led to the derivative.
OP never mentioned a resale concern. Since you had nothing to add, I guess you are just building post numbers. Much like me. 200, so I guess I can rest as I have nothing to add.:spam2: My thread deviation quota is fulfilled. Thanks for your reply.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts