Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So at 43,000 miles my 2014 CR-V EX AWD tires are needing to be replaced.
I ordered BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT SL in the original 225/65R-17 size from Tirerack.com, and picked a local installer.
Tires should be delivered to the installer on Thursday.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I ordered BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT SL in the original 225/65R-17 size from Tirerack.com, and picked a local installer.
Tires should be delivered to the installer on Thursday.
Did that actually save you money? I've compared complete pricing over the years and it's always comes out more expensive going the Tirerack route. Back in the '90s it was cheaper, but not in the past 15, or so years. Maybe it's location dependant, as we have no shortage of tire shops in the Chicago metro area.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I don't know what the dealer would charge me for mounting and balancing, I don't know the exact difference in cost. The tires I bought were about the same price as the List Price of tires on the Honda parts site I checked.

And after the brief phone call I had with the service department at my local Honda dealer this morning, I decided I'd rather go the Tirerack.com route.
I called the dealer and asked for the service department, and then talked to someone about the VTEC TSB 16-012 on the engine rattle when starting a cold engine. Mine does that, and I asked the person I spoke to about that. He pulled it up on his computer, and then said hang on, there's an updated copy I have to find. I heard some key clicking, and he said I found the updated version, and see that it probably covers your CR-V. He asked me to give hime some time to review it and check on parts availability and he'd call me back. That was three hours ago, and I still haven't heard from him.

I also asked about tires, and he said they can get them for me.

Edit: I live in a smallish college town over an hour from the nearest big city, so local options are somewhat limited.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,619 Posts
If you haven't committed yet to the Tire Rack deal, do some research before ordering next time.

Site Sponsor Discount Tire (AKA Discount Tire Direct) has good prices.

With your considerable SEARCHing skills 😊 ⭐ , I bet you could find other low priced, mail order sites too, like TireCrawler or SimpleTire.

Then, see if your local guys can match or beat those prices. (Our mom-n-pop tire store does)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
If you haven't committed yet to the Tire Rack deal, do some research before ordering next time.

Site Sponsor Discount Tire (AKA Discount Tire Direct) has good prices.

With your considerable SEARCHing skills 😊 ⭐ , I bet you could find other low priced, mail order sites too, like TireCrawler or SimpleTire.

Then, see if your local guys can match or beat those prices. (Our mom-n-pop tire store does)

To add to this... Discount Tire Direct is a top rated tire dealer in the US, based on CR polling of members. Scored a 90 out of 100.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just checked the prices from Discount Tire.
Same tire is 0.01 cheaper per tire at tirerack.com, and the closest installer is about 5 miles closer to me than the nearest Discount Tire.

·
Registered
54 Posts
good choicewith BFGs,,just replaced tires on 17 with 43K,,,5K so far, no issues, runs quiet,,,BFG is owned by Michelin.,,,

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I chose the BFGs based in part on customer ratings on tirerack.com, so I'm sure they'll be good tires.
I've also got a little over 40,000 miles on the original tires on my 2014.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just got home from having the tires mounted. I bought them on tirerack.com and had them shipped directly to a Firestone store here in town. After I received the delivery notice email I called and made an appointment for 11 am this morning. They weren't terribly busy, but there were a couple of people in the waiting room. It took about 2 hours for them to mount, balance, and check the alignment.

There were a couple of alignment adjustments that they recommended, and I agreed too. But that's a whole story in itself...

As I was sitting in the waiting room, drinking their coffee, and watching an NCIS:New Orleans re-run on the TV, the guy came in with a sheet showing me a bunch of problems with the alignment, and that they weren't sure they were going to be able to adjust everything so it was in spec. As he's going over the problems and what they can and can't do I was focused on the diagrams and measurements (most were in red - green was good, yellow was marginal, and red was bad).

I asked him if an adjustable camber kit would help. He looked puzzled, and said he didn't think they made one for a Z5. I was confused, and asked him "A what?". He looked confused, and then said "Your BMW Z5". I told him I was there for tires on a Honda CR-V and he then looked embarrassed. He apologized for mistaking me for the BMW owner, and said he'd check on my CR-V.

Here's the OEM Dueler H/Ps:

And the new BFG Advantage T/A Sport LTs:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts