Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you bought your CR-V, what other SUV's did you consider? What made you buy the Honda CR-V over them? How do you think the CR-V compared to the CX-5, RAV4 and Forester?

·
Registered
106 Posts
This has been asked a number of times on the forum, FYI, with varying levels of response.

I looked at all of the ones you mentioned.

The CR-V and Forester are a tie, in my opinion, depending on your priorities. The Forester is better if you prioritize active lifestyle. Visibility is better from the driver's seat. Most Foresters have a better roof rack than any CR-V. A manual transmission is available on the Forester. More hitch options, rack options, etc, for the Foz. The Sub has a proven AWD system that up until now was decidedly superior to that in the CR-V. The turbo Forester puts out more power than the turbo CR-V, so it feels punchier to the butt dyno if fun to drive is a priority.

The CR-V is better if you are more toward the city slicker end of the spectrum. Rear seat room is a little better for hauling rugrats. If you're into stuff like adaptive cruise and things like that, it's easier to find that stuff on the Honda. CR-V mpg is better in real world from what I can tell. Honda has upgraded the CR-V's AWD to supposedly be on par with Subaru, but at this point it is largely theoretical, since the new AWD system hasn't been put through the wringer enough at this point to definitively say that it's equal to Subaru officially. A year or two from now we may be able to say that the CR-V is the Forester's equal in foul stuff.

The RAV felt dated and antiquated to me, chintzier than the Honda. Slow. I liked the fact that it had a step gear transmission, though. Not enough going for it to choose in my case.

The Mazda was the most interesting to drive in my opinion. No CVT is a plus for me. Engine choices are inferior to those of the CR-V or Forester. Cargo area is smaller than most.

I bought the CR-V because of value for $ and I have a really easy dealer to work with. If our Subaru dealer had been as good as my Honda dealer is, it would have been a tough call. I didn't think the Honda was stellar, necessarily, in any one area, but was the best overall package combined with me having an excellent dealer available.

I'm the oddball here. I don't care much about the fancy lane departure gew-gaws or adaptive cruise. Most here care more than I do. I prefer minimalist over tons of toys. Just FYI so you know my perspective. Also, contrary to some, I don't think either CR-V engine is particularly impressive from the driver's seat. The 1.5T feels a lot more stout in my wife's Civic, for instance. The reason to choose one engine or the other with the CR-V is what equipment level you desire more than it is the engine specifically. If you don't care about toys, get an LX. If you do, get an EX or above. The performance in most situations is similar. One caveat: if you live at high altitude, Denver or above, get the turbo.

Long story short, don't listen to any of us. Go drive equivalently equipped CR-V and Forester than choose the one you like better. They have similar resale, similar reliability in general, and are pretty close in most areas.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I only considered the 2017 RAV4 SE which was comparably equipped to the CR-V EX-L. I likely could have gotten the RAV4 was a little more expensive but it was being discounted $2500 right off the bat so the final price was almost identical. I have owned a few Toyotas and a lot of Hondas so I have had experiences with both. IMO, the CR-V has a more comfortable interior with a little more usable space and gets better gas mileage and, in the long run, should have a better resale value. However, I don't really expect to get rid of it since I still have my 2004 CR-V and 2004 Pilot. I also have a 2006 Corolla.

Also, my local Toyota and Honda dealer is the same organization on the same property so that was not a factor.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Like many I was torn between CX-5, RAV4, Forester and even the Escape..... CRV is rated first by nearly every publication in its class for starters, has all the tech etc. I agree with alot of the points on here. I narrowed my choice to Forester and CRV. Admittedly the XT engine is a HUGE temptation,,, but I just couldn't get past the styling of the Forester which i think is uglier than SIN... If i have to live with this thing I like to look at it!

pretty good read here.............

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/honda/cr-v

·
Registered
79 Posts
To set the stage I am 6'8" (200cm) tall and weigh 300lbs, 66 years old and not as flexible as I once was.

I set out to replace my 2011 Toyota Sienna minivan with a vehicle that had a large capacity in the back and all of the new safety features.

I narrowed the list very quickly because I could not get my bulk behind the wheel of most candidates. I went to the following dealerships and tried with no luck at all with any of their wagons, SUVs, CUVs or minivans.

Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac, Ford, Kia, Acura, Mazda, Nissan, Volkswagen and Toyota.

Hyundai had the larger Santa Fe which I fit in but a short test drive had the wife eliminate it for poor passenger side seat comfort.

Audi has both the Q5 and Q7 which I can drive, but the price tag with all of the safety equipment is 20K to 30K higher than I want to spend.

I rented a Lincoln MKX for a week while visiting in California, I was able to drive and be a passenger, but the interior eccentricities drove us both crazy.

I fit in both the Subaru Forester and the Outback. The seats in the Outback hit me totally wrong, they were designed for a smaller person, no exceptions. The seats in the Forester were a better match, but a short test drive proved they too were not suited to my bulk.

I went to the Honda dealer to check out the 2018 Odyssey but it too had a problem with my size. I could drive the car, but could not get into the passenger side. The distance between the seat bottom and the roof was too tight. Honda does not give their passenger side seats equal adjustments. It is a pity as none of the premium line manufacturers offer a minivan.

As an afterthought, I tried to sit in the 2017 CR-V. To my surprise, I fit on both the driver and passenger side. My wife and I can both adjust the drivers side for a comfortable drive. The passenger side is not as comfortable. I wish I could purchase a 12 way seat from a right hand drive CR-V. Honda would say look at an Acura, but I was there, I can't even sit in the drivers seat of the MDX and RDX. If Acura had a real 2017 CR-V clone with good seats on both sides, I would be all over it.

I did not look at Fiat-Chrysler-Dodge. I have had their minivans in the past. Enough said.

I did not stop at Mini or BMW. There was one Mercedes-Benz that I fit in. The GLS, came out to over 90K with the safety equipment standard on the CR-V EX and above.

We are now circling in on a 2017 CR-V AWD Touring but have yet to sign the papers.

Good luck on your search.

LeRoy

·
Registered
106 Posts
It is a pity as none of the premium line manufacturers offer a minivan.
Ah, but they do. Mercedes Benz has the Metris. Granted, it's more of a Euro style van than typical American minivans, but it crosses over into both the cargo and people hauler realms in the USA. You can option a Metris to skew strongly toward the passenger end of the spectrum.

It's a function over form van, so the Metris may suit taller and / or larger people better than vans where aesthetics were a major consideration. Boxy shape, etc.

By the way, my brother in law is quite tall, as is his wife. They lived in Chicago for a number of years and didn't own a car. When they moved, and went car shopping, he had many of the same issues as you, finding something he fit in.

You'll never guess what he bought.

A VW Beetle. Very spacious for two taller folks, actually, and did really well for them given that rear seat room was a non priority.

You might want to try a Ford Flex, btw. Very good for taller folks.

Metris:

·
Registered
240 Posts
I considered a CX-5 and Forester XT and NX200t. I liked the Forester a lot, but the fact that a redesign is coming this/next year and it's somewhat dated exterior turned me off. I liked the interior layout but the quality was a little on the cheap side. The CX-5 is heavier, slower, and gets worse gas mileage then the previous generation. The CX-5 also is using a powertrain from the previous generation(5+ years old), and has no CarPlay/Android Auto support. Nice looking vehicle sure, but if the power train is being carried over from the previous generation I'd might as well save a bunch of $$$ and buy an older CX-5. I love the polarized styling of the NX200t, but a refresh is coming in a few months and I didn't want to wait for it.

The CRV IMO checked off the most boxes when it comes to buying an SUV. Great fuel efficiency, decent power, Honda reliability, rear leg room, large cargo area, bunch of safety features, and improved styling from the previous generation. The CVT was a little weird as I have never driven a CVT vehicle, but I don't even notice it anymore.

BTW if you're considering the CX-5, MotorTrend/Car And Driver/KBB did a direct comparison between the 2, and the CRV won all 3.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I chose the CRV after also evaluating the Mazda, RAV4, Ford Escape, and Forrester before choosing the CRV EX. Admittedly, I like crossovers to be more of a comfortable high-rise sedan as opposed to a sport vehicle. I didn't have any serious problems with the exterior styling of any of these but found the Forrester to look outdated and the grill of the Mazda reminds me a little of a large mouth bass.

I thought the rear seat of the Mazda was more cramped than the CRV. I know it "measures" out to be close, but something makes the CRV more spacious (pitch? seat padding? I haven't a clue). Generally, I'm carrying adult passengers in the 2nd row they appreciate the generous leg room and remark that it's surprisingly comfortable.

The Escape and the Rav4 were OK, but compared to the CRV seemed less comfortable and also felt smaller. The interiors just seemed "cheaper" and more plastic-like. Didn't need/want AWD, so that eliminated the Forrester.

I've had extremely good luck with my 2007 CRV -- only had minor repair work in 10 years, so I felt comfortable trusting Honda Engineering on this redesign, however, due to all the electronics and new systems, I did purchase a HondaCare warranty.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions 88r100rt...

Flex needs a redesign to get the modern safety systems. Might have worked when it was introduced.

Metris is a $45K truck that will still lack automatic emergency braking.

LeRoy

·
Registered
17 Posts
I replaced a Nissan Rogue, and test drove GMC Terrain, Jeep Cherokee, Subaru Forester. I considered the CX-5 and Edge, but didn't look at them. I eliminated another Rogue and the Rav due to overlapping seatbelts in the back seat. Prevents use of car seats in certain layouts.
It was a very close race between the Cherokee and CR-V. Cherokee was more fun to drive and had some more, wow features, but ultimately I picked the jeep for its roomier interior, and safety features that come standard at a reasonable package.
The Forester was okay. There was nothing about it that made me go wow, and the wait to warm up engine requirement of the Subaru boxers engines is somewhat annoying.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Jeep Cherokee over the CRV? To each his own for sure. Thats the first comparison of Jeep cherokee to CRV ive EVERY seen and Ive read a million (seemingly) comparisons. I actually considered the Grand Cherokee never the Cherokee. What wow features did you consider on it over CRV? I'm sure the V6 is fun. Compared to CRV, smaller cargo space, sluggish base engine, below average fuel economy... Acutally more curious...why are you in a CRV owners club forum? :)

Good luck I hope you enjoy!

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/jeep/cherokee

·
Registered
17 Posts
Jeep Cherokee over the CRV? To each his own for sure. Thats the first comparison of Jeep cherokee to CRV ive EVERY seen and Ive read a million (seemingly) comparisons. I actually considered the Grand Cherokee never the Cherokee. What wow features did you consider on it over CRV? I'm sure the V6 is fun. Compared to CRV, smaller cargo space, sluggish base engine, below average fuel economy... Acutally more curious...why are you in a CRV owners club forum? :)

/QUOTE]

Errr... fingers typing before the brain caught up there... I picked the CR-V for the roomier interior, safety etc.... apparently I don't have enough posts, or there is no post edit button here.

There are a couple youtube videos comparing the 2. Cherokee provides the pana sunroof, better 4x4 features, heated steering wheel, etc. With 2016 Jeep, upped the game with a 9-speed transmission with the 4-cylinder. The engine feels far from sluggish.

Anyway, went with a CR-V, not the Jeep.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was seriouly considering a 2017 Mazda CX-5, 2017 Ford Escape, 2017 Hyundai Tucson. I was trading in a Ford Flex Limited with a 3.5L Ecoboost engine and I was looking to get better gas mileage without sacrificing too much cargo space. Both Ford and Hyundai were advertising ridiculously large cash back incentives around Memorial day so I kept them on my radar.

I ruled out the Hyundai first because I wanted to have automatic cruise control and it wasn't offered on the Tucson and the Santa Fe's gas mileage was not that much better than the Ford Flex I was looking to replace.

I ended up test driving all 3 and each one had some pros and cons. The Ford Escape with a 2.0L ecoboost was by far, the most powerful and fastest of all 3. The price was over inflated so with the $7500 rebate it only made the price similar, not the best. The technology in the Ford was somewhat lacking so I ended up ruling it out for that reason.

I loved the Mazda CX-5 and would probably have bought that over the CR-V if I am being honest. The nail in the coffin for that one came when the numbers were coming back on my trade in and the price of the new cars. Mazda and Honda were both VERY close in price, but the dealerships varied widely in the trade in value they were offering.

As I was weighing my decisions, I realized that about every fifth vehicle I see seems to be a CR-V. They are sold in high volumes and they hold their value. Mazdas look great and are fun to drive but the resale value may not be quite as good, and I had some hesitancy after reading some negative reviews from current and former owners.

·
Registered
430 Posts

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/jeep/cherokee
I am glad the market offers a lot of choices to meet the different needs of consumers. For the off road capability, I could easily see why someone would choose the v6 and Trailhawk trim over a CR-V. Plus the $6000 discounts make the prices competitive.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
I compared a bunch of them both online and with test drives, but narrowed it down to the Rav4, the CX-5, and the CRV.

I still believe I made the right choice going with the CRV, and could not be happier

·
Registered
23 Posts
I looked at the usual suspects as well, bottom line is CRV did better overall. More space, better MPGs, and some great tech. Odds are, my son will drive it in 5 years.

As a 30-year Jeep guy, I wanted to like the Cherokee more. In fact, my CRV replaced my 2004 Grand Cherokee, which is about the size of current Cherokees.

But, while the V6 is fun, I felt it was a dog with the 9 speed, constantly short shifting to try to keep gas mileage OK. Putting it is sport mode fixed that, but I wanted real decent MPGs, and that would have killed it.

FCA quality, is sadly, not as good as Honda.

Laslty, the Jeep dealer acted like he was doing me a favor selling me a Jeep. Bad move. I've owned like five in my life, mostly because I keep cars. I'll just have to be content with my 1982 CJ-8 Scrambler.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I look at the Honda Pilot, RAV4 hybrid and CRV. I have no need for 3rd row of the Honda Pilot and don't like the handle of the RAV4 hybrid. Select the CRV and very please with gas miles and handling. Wish it is more sturdier like the Honda pilot. But that may not be fair comparison since the Honda pilot is in a different class

·
Registered
70 Posts
Not that you listed it, but it came down to the CR-V and the Jeep Cherokee for us. The Jeep is a very well put together car and with the V-6 rides incredibly smooth and quiet. It's much more difficult to option out though because everything is in a package or whatever. What drove us to chose the CR-V over the Jeep was the cargo room and gas mileage. I drive 80 miles a day for work, so that extra 8-10 mpgs really adds up. However, if that weren't the case, it would have been a much tougher decision. That being said - I love my new CR-V. Best car I've ever owned (for the first four days at least!).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts