Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I’m new here. Looking forward to contributing.

I have a 2016 EX. It has the basic 16” steel rims on it. I’d like to update to alloy rims without breaking the piggy bank.

My thought was to by older Honda rims and use my 16” tires.

Apologize in advance if this question has been asked before; does anyone know what Honda 16” rims fit the 2016 CR-V?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Trevor

·
Registered
24 Posts
Any rims with a 5x114.3 bolt pattern should fit. If I’m not mistaken, your CRV should have 17 inch alloys because only the LX came with 16 inch steelies. I was able to find some 2016 Acura TLX rims that look great with my white CRV. Only drawback was the tire size is a bit smaller than those on a stock CRV.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,156 Posts
As others have mentioned you should have alloy wheels already.
Perhaps you don't like the style or color.
Just to be sure, perhaps you can post a photo. It's possible someone replaced the wheels.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is great information! Thanks all.

I'd like to eventually upgrade to 17" (and will if I can find a set with good rubber). Otherwise I'm going to plan on using my tires on a used set of 16" for now.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I Installed a set of Honda CR-V alloys on my father in laws 2016 LX they look amazing compared to the stock steel wheels. I upgraded from the stock 16 inch steel wheels to 18 inch alloys. See attached pics. I found a slightly used set from eBay. They are usually from 2017 and up Crv models. I am selling the stock steel wheels and tires. The vehicle only has 14,000 miles on it. Picked it up a month ago from a dealer in excellent shape. Let me know if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Be aware your speedometer will now be off/inaccurate, going from 16's to 18's. Not sure if it's possible to re-calibrate. but you may want to look into it. In the meantime, don't get a ticket! With the much larger tire diameter, you will be going a fair bit faster than the speedometer shows.

·
Super Moderator
3,156 Posts
When going from or to Steel to Alloy, please get the correct lug/wheel nuts for the wheel you are moving to. Lug/wheel nuts are not interchangeable between each type.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Taller tires, more load on the drivetrain.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Be aware your speedometer will now be off/inaccurate, going from 16's to 18's. Not sure if it's possible to re-calibrate. but you may want to look into it. In the meantime, don't get a ticket! With the much larger tire diameter, you will be going a fair bit faster than the speedometer shows.
From the website you cited above... it's not bad. It's said that up to a 5% difference is okay, and the calculations, assuming the tires are stock oem sizes, look like this:

Speedometer Error
(Set Size1 to OEM Size)

Reading: 20 mph 30 mph 40 mph 50 mph 60 mph 70 mph 80 mph 90 mph

Actual 20.9 31.3 41.7 52.2 62.6 73 83.4 93.9

The difference is negligible until you get to higher speeds, then maybe compensate by slowing a few mph. And the diff is less than 5%.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The difference from switching from 16 inch steel to 18 inch alloys is negligible if you do it correctly. In most cases you are increasing the rim size and decreasing the sidewall height of the tire in proportion. It is called plus sizing. I have used a few sites to see what works safely. You can try this one site that also tells you what the factory wheel and tire sizes are. It gives you loads of comparison info on clearance for suspension and brakes and speedometer changes. The only change you need to make is to purchase different lug nuts. The Steel 16 inch stock wheels use a cone shaped base seat and all the alloys use a radius seat so you cannot use them. i picked up a set from a local Honda dealer but you can find them at autozone.

Just enter your make year and model

Use the calculator to compare wheel and tire sizes

My Tire stock on 2016 CR-V : 215/70R16 Continental Cross Contact LX
Steel Wheel : 6.5Jx16 ET50
Bolt Pattern :5x114.3
Thread Size : M12 x 1.5
Center Bore : 64.1

Tire upgrade on 2016 CR-V : 235/60R18 Continental True Contact Tour SL
Alloy Wheel : 7.5Jx18 ET45
Bolt Pattern :5x114.3
Thread Size : M12 x 1.5
Center Bore : 64.1

When the speedometer reads 60 km/h actual speed will be 62.7 km/h
When the speedometer reads 37.28 m/h actual speed will be 38.96 m/h = 1.68 m/h difference in my case

No additional load on the drivetrain because you are adjusting the tires down in height as you increase the wheel height. Also the same vehicle with the same engine and drivetrain is available with 16, 17 or 18 inch wheels depending on which model you buy... LX, EX or Touring so it does not matter.

The end result is a wheel and tire combo that fits the wheel well nicely on the LX model.

Below are the details of the like new - slightly used set I purchased off ebay. They chage the whole look of the car.
64111MG
Honda CR-V 2017 2018 | 42700TLAL88 | 47200TLAL87 | 64111MG | 64111 Hollander | Wheel | OEM Original Alloy Wheel
  • Honda CR-V 2017 / 2018
    • FACTORY PART NUMBER 42700TLAL88 47200TLAL87
    • WHEEL SIZE18 X 7.5

·
Registered
7 Posts
When going from or to Steel to Alloy, please get the correct lug/wheel nuts for the wheel you are moving to. Lug/wheel nuts are not interchangeable between each type.
You are correct..... The Steel 16 inch stock wheels use a cone shaped base seat and all the alloys use a radius seat so you cannot use them. I picked up a set from a local Honda dealer but you can find them at autozone.

·
Registered
7 Posts

The difference from switching from 16 inch steel to 18 inch alloys is negligible if you do it correctly. In most cases you are increasing the rim size and decreasing the sidewall height of the tire in proportion. It is called plus sizing. I have used a few sites to see what works safely. You can try this one site wheel-size.com that also tells you what the factory wheel and tire sizes are. It gives you loads of comparison info on clearance for suspension and brakes and speedometer changes. The only change you need to make is to purchase different lug nuts. The Steel 16 inch stock wheels use a cone shaped base seat and all the alloys use a radius seat so you cannot use them. I picked up a set from a local Honda dealer but you can find them at autozone.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Have you done your arithmetic?..........your new 18" tire/wheel combo is 1.25" taller than your old 16" tire/wheel combo. A 29.1" diameter tire places extra load on the drivetrain of a vehicle that was designed with/originally had a 27.85" diameter tire. Kinda like a 10 speed bike.......is it easier to pedal in 1st or 10th?

You need to consider overall OE factory tire diameter as it is way more important than plus sized wheels/rims.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I understand your thinking crv383 but the manufacturer already has that considered since they provide you with the option of 16, 17 or 18 inch wheels for the same vehicle and the same drivetrain. The 2016 Honda CR-V comes only with a 2.4-liter 4-cylinder engine that produces 185 horsepower and 181 lb-ft of torque. It did not matter which trim level you purchased. All these factory options work as you move from LX to SE to EX to EXL and Touring. The car is the same. They are not providing a different drivetrain for the other upper models that year. All they do is charge you more for trim... wheels, tires, chrome, interior appointments and other tech features. It all starts as the same vehicle. Specifically for 2016 there was no other engine options and they were supplying the different wheel and tire options. I have basically installed the Touring model wheels on my 2016 LX and I have the same engine and transmission that the touring had that year. By the way the LX is also 145 pounds lighter than the touring model. No issue to be concerned with here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts