Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Performance will suffer going to a 1.25" taller than stock tire. A 225/55/18 or a 255/50/18 tire would be almost identical to the OE diameter.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This thread helped when considering changing rims / tires on my 2014 EX. But my research indicated there's more to it than the main points mentioned here. Of course overall diameter should be as close to oem as possible, bolt pattern and lug nut type needs to be the same...

But, not much talk about offset and backspace? While other oem (or A/M) wheels may fit (without hitting the brake caliper or wheel wells), if the offset isn't the same than the entire wheel and tire will be farther out or farther in. I've read that varying that by as little as 5mm can have a negative impact. Not only steering and handling, but wear and tear on suspension / and steering parts can be affected. Also, insurance. Some pointed out that Ins Co may not cover you in some circumstances where changes you've made aren't designed for that vehicle.

I've learned a lot. Offset and Backspace though sound like they are as critical, if not more so, than any other aspect. I think that's why the 'fitment' sites will say 'that wheel won't fit your specified vehicle', even though bolt pattern etc is the same.

food for thought.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Most aftermarket wheel manufacturer’s websites give you the ability to enter your make, year and model. From there, the website will show wheels and their specs they that properly fit your vehicle. You are correct, offset is very important and one should stay at, or very close to OE spec......the same applies to overall tire diameter.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts