Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2015 CRV LX AWD makes a loud grinding noise from the rear end when we back up. Especially going up ur down hill when backing up. Going forward there are no noises. After doing some research online, most of the information talks about the normal cause being the breakdown of the differential fluid and replacing the fluid fixes the problem. We replaced the fluid with the approved Honda fluid and the noise is still there and may be a little louder. This CRV has 26k miles on it. If I try to sell or trade it in, I would lose on the deal due to this noise. I am stuck with a low mileage CRV due to a noise that the dealer cannot explain. The CRV is suppose to be the highest rated for quality and resale but not from what i have experienced. Anyone have other suggestions on this noise? I can't find an official Honda notice but apparently this has been a CRV problem identified for several years! The back up noise is not as loud on flat roads as it is on hills and it is worse when you back up and turn at the same time.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,760 Posts
Rear diff noise happens initially on turns, when cold. Can happen forward or backward.

Does your grinding go away after the car is driven a while? If so, could be rusty rotors...

Do you live in an area that uses a lot of road salt? Your rear brakes could be worn due to sticking slider pins in the brake calipers. Many northern owners do yearly 'brake service' where the slider pins are cleaned & lubricated.

Have your brakes been checked for debris stuck between the rotor backing plates and the rotors?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Our 2015 CRV LX AWD makes a loud grinding noise from the rear end when we back up. Especially going up ur down hill when backing up. Going forward there are no noises. After doing some research online, most of the information talks about the normal cause being the breakdown of the differential fluid and replacing the fluid fixes the problem. We replaced the fluid with the approved Honda fluid and the noise is still there and may be a little louder. This CRV has 26k miles on it. If I try to sell or trade it in, I would lose on the deal due to this noise. I am stuck with a low mileage CRV due to a noise that the dealer cannot explain. The CRV is suppose to be the highest rated for quality and resale but not from what i have experienced. Anyone have other suggestions on this noise? I can't find an official Honda notice but apparently this has been a CRV problem identified for several years! The back up noise is not as loud on flat roads as it is on hills and it is worse when you back up and turn at the same time.
You bringing up that its highly rated doesnt help you.
Go make a nice frying pan thats the highest quality and sell 10 million of them and im sure a few will have issues.

Set your phone on video under the car and record it.
Then start slowly narrowing down the location and replace the part.

It could be something simple if not properly maintained

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hard to tell not knowing how touchy you are. If VERY touchy (or tuned in?) to noises it probably is the brakes, as Carbuff mentioned. Mine grind when backing up with the brake pedal slightly depressed. In hottest weather and being driven every day it stops. Worse first in the morning, then goes away most of the year. It didn't do it when brand new, started over the first Winter of ownership. If you have a real rear differential problem my post is a waste of time. Hope that's not true. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts