Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have blown the 12v (cigarette lighter) outlet in the dash of my 2007 CRV. According to the diagram it should be #29 but that is not blown. I’ve pulled all the fuses 15A and lower and they’re all intact. The Ryobi battery charger I had plugged in draws a maximum of 6 amps at 12v.

I found another post somewhere that said that there is a relay that controls the outlets that will blow at 7.5A. I can’t find anything more clear on this subject. Any ideas what to check or troubleshoot? It’s 2 degrees out right now here in Maine or I would probably spend a bit more time investigating myself, but as it is any tips to narrow down my search would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sometimes the fuse looks good but is blown. Did you try another fuse?
Here's link to website which shows the relay location for the outlet. It's under the dash just to the right of the steering column. It's R3. Try swapping it with R4 to see if the relay is the problem.

2007 CRV Relays.JPG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, very helpful. I haven’t swapped the fuse yet but I will try both your suggestions. Is it correct that the relay would blow before the fuse? Otherwise how likely to blow a 15A fuse with a ~6A draw?

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Here is a link to the diagram

Don't know about the 3rd gen CRV's but in the 2nd gens the accessory relays are located behind the glove box left of the HVAC blower

·
Registered
448 Posts
Thanks, very helpful. I haven’t swapped the fuse yet but I will try both your suggestions. Is it correct that the relay would blow before the fuse? Otherwise how likely to blow a 15A fuse with a ~6A draw?
It's possible the relay coil has burned out due to age; the coil is constantly energized in Acc or Ign mode. The relay contacts could be bad, but unlikely unless you have a high load regularly connected to the outlet.
Other than that there's nothing to blow in the relay. The 15A fuse could have failed due to age.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,024 Posts
ISTR that some Generation's 'lighter' outlets had issues with the configuration of the contacts. So be sure to try a different device (before you freeze!). :rolleyes:

Also, I thought the lighter outlets were fused for 10A. Don't forget, they only work with the ignition ON in Hondas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No luck with a new fuse in 29 “Accessories”. Tried other devices and wiggling, etc. I feel pretty confident that it was caused by the Ryobi One+ In vehicle charger because I never used that before. Plugged it in while driving on the highway, looked like it was charging but about 30 mins later the I looked again and the outlet was dead. Weird though, because it shouldn’t have blown a fuse anyway and if it did I would see a blown fuse. The outlet in the way back still works fine on my phone, not about to try the Ryobi there yet.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
It may be burned relay contacts but I would put my money on the connections on the back of the outlet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts