Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to determine if I can add the Exterior "Ambient Sensor" part # 80525-S30941 to my 2009 CRV-LX and magically view outside airtemps on the multi-function screen like the EX model?? Knowing the wiring harness is mid-front bumper where the sensor plugs in, is the limiting factor just a missing sensor, or a different multi-function panel on the LX from that of the EX model?

It's important to know outside temps when traveling in northern climates with icing. Thanks for any input, RocketRoy

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Welcome To The Club!

I don't know this for a fact, but I think all of the models have the sensor because it is used by the ECM for proper settings for the engine parameters. I believe the LX has the display disabled, either by the ECM or by the lack of the display on the instrument panel.

Welcome to the club. Good luck on your quest for outside temperature.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm trying to determine if I can add the Exterior "Ambient Sensor" part # 80525-S30941 to my 2009 CRV-LX and magically view outside airtemps on the multi-function screen like the EX model?? Knowing the wiring harness is mid-front bumper where the sensor plugs in, is the limiting factor just a missing sensor, or a different multi-function panel on the LX from that of the EX model?

It's important to know outside temps when traveling in northern climates with icing. Thanks for any input, RocketRoy
I have just purchased the 09 LX and wondered how you made out, I live in the ice area between NY and NJ in PA, Rt 84 is a nightmare!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Outside Air-Temp Sensor and Cold Wx issues

Howdy Cuzz,

No joy yet, but haven't given up. I find it hard to believe that Honda would make a different display just for the LX...I suspect it comes down to a Honda Tech plugging in the diagnostic machine and enabling the field on the display knowing the rest of the gear (sensors) are in place. I'll share details if I crack this NUT.

Unrelated Cold Wx issue, Wondering if you're having the same problem with the windshield wiper washers in the cold, in White Mts of NH, I get ice/snow buildup making it near impossible to use the de-iceing fluid. Honda needs to mount the washer nozzel back on the hood of the vehicle vice in the wiper tunnel. Blue skies, Roy

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is a old thread and maybe someone has found a solution (please post if you did), But searching around on the internet seems that people that have latest generation base model Accords have found the answer. On the Accord they purchase a module that plugs into a existing wiring harness and add a outside temperature sensor to the same harness as the fog lights. (all Plug and play).

If we could do the same all we need to know are the part numbers from Honda

·
Registered
371 Posts
You could always purchase the upgraded mirror........has compass and temp built in with probe and wires etc...........Honda sell it but it's pricey.........try looking at Gentex mirror.........(google them) I think gentex make many mirrors for different cars.....I think they are main suppliers to the car makers. They sell a mirror with built in compass, temp and homelink for a CR-V price of around $250-$300 I think? Installation seems straight forward also.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I don't know this for a fact, but I think all of the models have the sensor because it is used by the ECM for proper settings for the engine parameters. I believe the LX has the display disabled, either by the ECM or by the lack of the display on the instrument panel.

Welcome to the club. Good luck on your quest for outside temperature.

On most vehciles, the ambient temperature sensor is a seperate temperature transmitter than the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor mounted on the intake manifold. The IAT is often higher than the ambinet outside temp since the engine bay gets pretty hot and will warm the incomming air several degrees.

So yes it could possibly be used, but it would seem to be inconsistent. For example at idle, the air tempeture my actually drop since the air is being pulled under a strong vacuum. Creating a vacuum will drop the temprature of the air. At other times, it would read high, since the engine compartment is pretty hot and will likely warm the air a few degrees.

But I could be wrong and Honda doesn't use a sepeate sensor. On my motorcycle, a seperate sensor is used instead of the IAT in the airbox.

·
Registered
154 Posts
The sensor for the outside temp guage is mounted behind the front bumper tucked up around the license plate.

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_...ionID=7&SectionID=8&IllustrationGroupID=15948

This post shows the actual sensor.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=39534&postcount=1
i was just looking under the V this morning to see what kind of damage 40K miles have done the front and undercarriage........the temp sensor is tucked up enough to be sheilded by the plastic shroud under the car from air hitting the front while driving......and definitely far enough away from the engine heat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The sensor for the outside temp guage is mounted behind the front bumper tucked up around the license plate.

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_...ionID=7&SectionID=8&IllustrationGroupID=15948

This post shows the actual sensor.

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showpost.php?p=39534&postcount=1
I just purchased an 09 LX last month and this is one of the things I miss most about it. My previous vehicle had a temperature indicator and I didn't realize how much I counted on it until now.

It appears this post shows that you can purchase everything for about 30 bucks. Is this correct? Is it also correct that the hardware to display the temperature is already installed and this is a true plug and play and will begin working immediatley upon installation without having to do anything to the dash?

Thanks.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I just purchased an 09 LX last month and this is one of the things I miss most about it. My previous vehicle had a temperature indicator and I didn't realize how much I counted on it until now.

It appears this post shows that you can purchase everything for about 30 bucks. Is this correct? Is it also correct that the hardware to display the temperature is already installed and this is a true plug and play and will begin working immediatley upon installation without having to do anything to the dash?

Thanks.
so far, it "looks and sounds" like pnp - BUT, i haven't heard/read of any member trying this out yet.
i have read for honda accords, it's pretty much pnp - not sure about crv.

if you do decide to try this out, please post the results and let us know whether it's truly a matter of buying the sensor/brackets and plugging it in.

·
Premium Member
3,658 Posts
so far, it "looks and sounds" like pnp - BUT, i haven't heard/read of any member trying this out yet.

if you do decide to try this out, please post the results and let us know whether it's truly a matter of buying the sensor/brackets and plugging it in.
On some Accords they offer and accessory kit for the outside temp sensor. I looked at the CRV and the EX/EX-L and LX models use two different front wire harnesses.

Based on what i see i am going to say it is not a simple plug and play scenario.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Temp Sensor

Here is a link for sales of one;

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/hpa_parts_list.php?vin=&Label[ProductID]=CR-V&Label[YearID]=2009&Label[DoorID]=5&Label[GradeID]=EX-L+%282WD+LEA+NAVI%29&Label[AreaID]=KA&Label[TransmissionID]=5AT&Label[SectionID]=BODY+%2F+AIR+CONDITIONING&Label[IllustrationGroupID]=A%2FC+SENSOR&ProductID=7&YearID=40&DoorID=3&GradeID=522&AreaID=2&TransmissionID=7&SectionID=8&IllustrationGroupID=15948

It is listed as being for an EX - you may want to call your dealer and see if you can have one installed on the LX

·
Registered
6 Posts

I called Honda and they said the hardware isn't there on an LX. I went ahead and bought an 8 buck one at Target and installed it.

There was a nice grommet in the firewall beneath and to the left of the steering wheel.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I called Honda and they said the hardware isn't there on an LX. I went ahead and bought an 8 buck one at Target and installed it.

There was a nice grommet in the firewall beneath and to the left of the steering wheel.
thanks for the info.

nowadays, i just look at the thermometer outside my house before i get into the car. i also use the "skin-thermometer". i step outside and if it's bone-chilling cold to my face and i see frost/ice outside, then yup... it's cold. :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
On some Accords they offer and accessory kit for the outside temp sensor. I looked at the CRV and the EX/EX-L and LX models use two different front wire harnesses.

Based on what i see i am going to say it is not a simple plug and play scenario.
Yep. Just installed this "kit" on my 04 EX Accord a couple months ago. It is a seperate sensor and control unit, but uses exsisting plugs and dash LCD. Install was crazy simple, and all plug and play.

However...the kit was discontinued due to lack of sales. They stopped making them back around 2006, so I doubt Honda will make a similar kit (for any model) ever again.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Has anyone reached a successful answer to this . If so, what is it.
baarmour

·
Registered
295 Posts
Has anyone reached a successful answer to this . If so, what is it.
baarmour
Doubt very much that is a PNP. Got a 2010 LX w/o the variable intermittent wiper. Purchase the variable intermittent stalk thinking that it would be just PNP but finally realized that wiring harness isn’t the same as an EX. If it was PNP for the temperature sensor, the display would show either a very low temp. or very high temp, since the sensor is missing. The module (MICU I think) would read an open resistance (sensor is a semiconductor that his resistance varies with changes of temperature) and display accordingly either max. Low or max high temps. If someone has an EX and could unplug the sensor to confirm my theory, would be nice and would put an end to this thread.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.