Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one else experiencing this noise problem? Generally, the car is relatively quiet inside, and with the windows closed, I'm usually insulated from outside noise, like from cars passing me, or someone with a loud radio next to me at a light. BUT, when a car with a loud exhaust or something like that is passing me, as soon as that other car gets to a point just forward of the front doors (either side of the car), it's almost like I opened the windows - any ideas what might be going on here? Thanks!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None of the windows were open - stupid me, I didn't realize that I was driving down the road with the DOORS open !

·
Everything in Moderation
7,655 Posts
TY,

Lucky our CR-Vs don't have Suicide Doors (those that open from the front) if you drive with the doors open!

YES that was a small joke just to lighten the mood. otto888man has been on the Forum for a long time and always tries to help EVERYONE.

Now, to address your issue:

If this only happens at speed (not in slo-mo traffic) it's possible that the window frames are lifting away a little from wind pressure. (A totally normal condition) If yours is an older car (years? Mileage?) you may need a new seal. (If it's a 2016, go to the dealer and tell THEM)

Just as a test, you could buy some foam weatherseal at a place like home depot and stick it around the door openings on the body side. If it helps, get back to us for more suggestions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's a 2015 model year Honda CRV - I bought it in September 2015. All of the windows were completely closed (I'm sure), the doors were all completely closed, the car doesn't have a sunroof, the rear door \ hatchback was completely closed, the radio was off, my cellphone was on vibrate in my pocket, and the hood was closed - it was almost like the noise was somehow coming in through the front wheel wells . . .

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Sounds to me like you'll just have to deal with it. Thanks for stopping by and being a troll....we really like that around here. :cool:

·
Everything in Moderation
7,655 Posts
it was almost like the noise was somehow coming in through the front wheel wells . . .
Noises can be VERY difficult to pinpoint sometimes (I'm dealing with that too on my daughter's FIT).

Might be worthwhile to ride AS A PASSENGER in order to put your ear close to the source?

I suppose the plastic fender liners could be removed to make sure there aren't any mis-installed grommets behind them, allowing noise into the interior?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
FINALLY - a sensible response ! One thing I've noticed is that there are three or four open holes I can see in the front wheel wells that aren't sealed or covered - it's almost like in another model those holes would be used to attach something but they aren't used for anything in my model CRV - I have the low-end CRV, without any of the extras. Also, in the same area of the wheel well where I see the open holes, the wheel well is painted the same color as my car, whereas other areas of the wheel well look to have some type of undercoating.

When I was at the dealership for something else I asked them about this and they pretty much mentioned what I said, about the holes maybe being used with other models of the CRV - I've thought about getting some plastic grommets and plugging them up.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
A few things...

FINALLY - a sensible response ! One thing I've noticed is that there are three or four open holes I can see in the front wheel wells that aren't sealed or covered - it's almost like in another model those holes would be used to attach something but they aren't used for anything in my model CRV - I have the low-end CRV, without any of the extras. Also, in the same area of the wheel well where I see the open holes, the wheel well is painted the same color as my car, whereas other areas of the wheel well look to have some type of undercoating.

When I was at the dealership for something else I asked them about this and they pretty much mentioned what I said, about the holes maybe being used with other models of the CRV - I've thought about getting some plastic grommets and plugging them up.
I have an'07 LX and a '10 EXL. bottom and top of the line and do not recall anything such as you describe, which leads me to wonder why your car is different?

You can try setting the Heat/AC to recirculate to shut the vents - a long shot buy maybe?

The description of the multicolor wheel wells is worrisome. I went out with a flashlight and checked the '10 front wheels wells. The front and rear of the wells are black plastic from the bottom up about 15 inches. Above that there is something black about half way from the rear and from it there is steel that might be sort of similar to the body color but certainly not shiny like the outside.

I wonder if it has been in an accident and not repaired properly with OEM parts?

I would take it to CARMAX and get a free appraisal. They WILL determine if it has been repaired legally. I would not tell them anything about why I want the appraisal, only that I want one, maybe thinking of upgrading and want an idea or it's worth.

You could drive another LX of the same year to see if it does the same thing? If not something untoward is with your vehicle. If it does, drive an EXL or Touring - they have more sound proofing in the firewall.

Good luck,

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Good suggestions - but instead of Carmax, I'm gonna take it to a former Honda Dealership mechanic that's had his own shop for a long time - he only works on Hondas and Acuras - he has been servicing my Hondas for 20 years - he's honest and has always done an exceptional job. I'm also gonna go back to the dealership and take a look at some of their Honda CRVs on the lot and see if the inside of the wheel well looks anything like mine - my description might not have been that clear.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Yes!

Good suggestions - but instead of Carmax, I'm gonna take it to a former Honda Dealership mechanic that's had his own shop for a long time - he only works on Hondas and Acuras - he has been servicing my Hondas for 20 years - he's honest and has always done an exceptional job. I'm also gonna go back to the dealership and take a look at some of their Honda CRVs on the lot and see if the inside of the wheel well looks anything like mine - my description might not have been that clear.
Your plan is WAY better than mine.

Good luck, and let us know?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts