Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I over tighten my oil plug at least 1/2 - 3/4 turn.
I did use a torque wrench, but the click was so soft that I ignore it the first time.

Would most of you deal with this right away (drain and re tighten--with a new crush washer) or deal with it at the next oil change?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Well, it certainly shouldn't leak. Just check for thread damage on the next oil change, I highly doubt that there will be any.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
VERY common problem on ANY vehicle. Get rid of the damn torque wrench, it's unconditionally guaranteed to do what it did. They sell repair kits to fix the damage -- google.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys.
the irony here is that I tried not to strip the pan by using a torque wrench.

I'm researching the TIME-SERT M14 X 1.50 Metric Drain Plug Kit #1415C
just incase I need it : )

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Definitely wait until the next oil change and think about putting in one of those Fumoto drain plugs. Never have to remove it and take a chance on stripping the threads again. I never use a torque wrench for the oil pan plug and just do it by feel on my 2003 Odyssey. I'm also thinking of putting in one of those myself.
If you put a torque wrench on that drain plug and put about 10ft/lbs of torque on it in the CW (tightening) direction and it doesn't move, it won't fall out and it should easily stay put until the next oil change is due. BTW, how do you know how far you turned it after the proper torque was reached? Curious.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Buffalo4, Fumoto drain plug sounds good too if no damage was done : )
I realized the torque was reached because there was a soft tap, but I thought it was the wrench tapping on the oil filter (it was a pretty soft click). After the over torque, I realized it was torque wrench. Really mad at myself for not catching this earlier.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,220 Posts
You will probably be OK.

Now, if you had cross-threaded it...:eek:

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
If you actually went 1/2 to 3/4 turn past tight enough, I'd expect you would have felt it start to loose torque by then, as in it would have started to strip the threads.
I'd suggest continued use of the torque wrench, but practice a little with it, especially with it set on lower torque settings. They are by no means fool proof or idiot proof either but do help keep things running right when used properly.
Based on my experience with Honda drain plugs (I've done a lot of oil changes on my Honda's), and getting some out that the dealer installed (talk about TIGHT!) I don't think you've done any damage. I would recommend you pick up a new drain plug (and washer of course) for your next oil change. Once you get to know the feel of the 'crush' of the washer you'll be able to easily do it without a torque wrench.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts