Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here goes a stupid question that I thought I might ask here instead of trying to figure it out... my apologies in advance!

If my poor memory serves correctly, my old '00 CR-V used to have an "overdrive" button that you could disengage when you were going up steep hills, etc.

I don't see any such feature on my new 2010. Am I just not seeing it or is it no longer a feature? What to do, what to do... so, if it's no longer a feature and I'm going up a steep hill or hauling a buncha junk up a not-so-steep hill and notice a lack of power, just shift down to a lower gear?

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
On the shifter display of a car with the overdrive, or O/d off, which is what the button did on the older models like mine, makes it so the tranny can't shift past 3rd which is good for towing, or in town driving, hills, etc...

On the newer Cr-v, I'm not sure of what the shifter looks like, but does it have a setting that says D-3? As long as it's in addition to also having a "D" option, then the "D-3" setting is your O/D off function, it stops the tranny from shifting out of 3rd and into 4th for in-town driving, and some towing.

For example, the shifter display next to the shifter should look like this:

R
N
D
D3

But if it doesn't have that D3 option, then it has no "O/D off"

Does that make sense?
Hopefully?

On my old Odyssey, it had the D3, and I left it in that for driving around town. I do the same for my Cr-v but with the overdrive off, to keep the car from switching in between 3rd and 4th gear while you teeter on that level while trying to stay in in town speed limits, while the car is selecting gears to keep up with the constant acceleration/deceleration, the D3 will keep it from shifting above 3rd and should keep you good unless you need to get on a freeway, or exceed 35mph.

·
Registered
189 Posts
D3

So, here goes a stupid question that I thought I might ask here instead of trying to figure it out... my apologies in advance!

If my poor memory serves correctly, my old '00 CR-V used to have an "overdrive" button that you could disengage when you were going up steep hills, etc.

I don't see any such feature on my new 2010. Am I just not seeing it or is it no longer a feature? What to do, what to do... so, if it's no longer a feature and I'm going up a steep hill or hauling a buncha junk up a not-so-steep hill and notice a lack of power, just shift down to a lower gear?
On my '08, & belive there has been no change, the D3 button is on the shift lever just below the grip and is easily reached with your thumb w/o moving your hand from the grip.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
What does it say in your owners manual? This may be covered in the towing section as well as the section covering shifting the auto transmission.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your help, everyone. I just read the manual online then ran out in the freezing-ar** cold to double-check!

For the 2010, it's just as Gary696 said for his '08. There's a button right below the shifter button that engages/disengages D3. I was confused because I was remembering my '00 CR-V with the O/D 'off button'. It doesn't show it in the gear display either which also assisted in my confusion, but lights up beside 'D' when it's engaged.

Cheers, guys... much appreciated. :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
the "overdrive" is a holdover from times past, when you'd get 3 gears and then an additional clutch which could come in past a certain speed to give you a more efficient ratio. so, not like really a "gear" but essentially the same function. one could turn that off in order to keep the transmission from hunting from 3rd to 4th on inclines. nowadays, the logic mostly prevents this (not always).

now, we have as standard 5-speed automatics (4-speeds are for fools these days, or ... unfortunately ... some Honda products). so if you shift from, say the highest to next highest (D5 to D4, or D4 to D3) then that's the same as clicking the "overdrive off" button. just prevents transmission from selecting highest gear. not usually useful, but occasionally invaluable.

hope that helps!

·
Registered
42 Posts
yep that button right below the shifter will change your display from the normal D to D3.

It will only let your engine shift to 1, 2, or 3. If you need more (say just 2 gears), then manually shift down to "2", and you will see 2 on your display, or "1" to see the 1.

·
Registered
687 Posts
the "overdrive" is a holdover from times past, when you'd get 3 gears and then an additional clutch which could come in past a certain speed to give you a more efficient ratio. so, not like really a "gear" but essentially the same function. one could turn that off in order to keep the transmission from hunting from 3rd to 4th on inclines. nowadays, the logic mostly prevents this (not always).

now, we have as standard 5-speed automatics (4-speeds are for fools these days, or ... unfortunately ... some Honda products). so if you shift from, say the highest to next highest (D5 to D4, or D4 to D3) then that's the same as clicking the "overdrive off" button. just prevents transmission from selecting highest gear. not usually useful, but occasionally invaluable.

hope that helps!

What Honda products have 4 speed automatics? The whole North American lineup since '07 has had 5 speeds.

The term overdrive typically refers to any gear ratio taller than 1:1. Some also consider it any gear not required to reach the vehciles top speed. The CR-V will reach top speed I believe in 3rd gear. Many cars these days have 2overdrive gears. Some luxury cars with 7 and 8 speed automatics may have 3 overdrive gears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use my D3 button all the time. I drive fast, and this button helps me get up to illegal speed in no time!

Getting 20-22 mpg, city/hiway in my 2014.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,111 Posts
What Honda products have 4 speed automatics? The whole North American lineup since '07 has had 5 speeds.

The term overdrive typically refers to any gear ratio taller than 1:1. Some also consider it any gear not required to reach the vehciles top speed. The CR-V will reach top speed I believe in 3rd gear. Many cars these days have 2overdrive gears. Some luxury cars with 7 and 8 speed automatics may have 3 overdrive gears.
Honda considers the 5-speed AT to be a 4-speed with OD, which is also automatic, unless you choose to bypass it with the button. Regardless of what it makes the final drive ratio, that's how Honda configures it to operate. Unless my big girlfriend is in the car, I don't use it. But she is BIG, so, when she is in there, I highly value the option. Just kidding, honey. :oops:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts