Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2007 CR-V will start out ok but suddenly will shift out of O/D then back again randomly. The button to control the O/D does nothing. Sometimes it will go out of O/D and stay like that until I turn off the motor and then turn on again. Latter it will start do shift in and out again.
Today I will change transmission oil and see if it helps.

I looked for loose wires or connections and all seems ok.

Any advice?

Thanks

·
Everything in Moderation
7,615 Posts
Consider changing the thermostat.

A well-known quirk with many new cars of all manufacturers is that the temp gauges do not really reflect the actual coolant temperature. So, the car will be running 'cool' and the PCM (engine computer) will keep the trans in a lower gear to help warm up the engine. All while the dash gauge reads NORMAL.

You can see if this is the case by using an OBDII reader that displays coolant temp while you drive.

PS OEM thermostats work best....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I look in to that. Would this also influence the O/D control button that does nothing?

What model OBDII reader do you recommend? I need to have one.

Thanks

Rafael

·
Everything in Moderation
7,615 Posts
I think the PCM would be locking the O/D button out until the engine was warm.

I use an old ScanGaugeII, but nowadays folks usually buy an ELM OBDII bluetooth dongle to fit in the car's connector, and use an app such as TORQUE to read codes and the data on a smartphone.

Some of the inexpensive standalone OBDII readers MIGHT read the data, as well.

Or, you could just change the thermostat for ~$55 to $36 USD from Bernardi Honda.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
No O/D on 3rd gen CR-V's

Our 2007 CR-V will start out ok but suddenly will shift out of O/D then back again randomly. The button to control the O/D does nothing. Sometimes it will go out of O/D and stay like that until I turn off the motor and then turn on again. Latter it will start do shift in and out again.
Today I will change transmission oil and see if it helps.

I looked for loose wires or connections and all seems ok.

Any advice?

Thanks
The concept of Over Drive does not apply to the 2007 CR-V. It has a 5 speed automatic with lockup torque converter that may feel like an O/D sometimes.

The button on the gear shift lever, the D3 Button, is to lock it from shifting above 3rd gear. When the gear-shift lever is in 1 it will start out in 1st gear and will not shift, in 2 it will start out in 2nd gear and will not shift. If the D3 button on the gear shift lever is pressed it will operate normally shifting up and down between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but will shift above 3rd gear.

How long have you been driving this vehicle? How many miles are on it? What you are feeling may well be normal operation?

Changing the fluid is a GOOD idea in any case. Be sure to use ONLY Honda DW-1 fluid. And if this is it's first change it should have the drain-fill-drive, times 3 in a short period of time.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
The concept of Over Drive does not apply to the 2007 CR-V. It has a 5 speed automatic with lockup torque converter that may feel like an O/D sometimes.

The button on the gear shift lever, the D3 Button, is to lock it from shifting above 3rd gear. When the gear-shift lever is in 1 it will start out in 1st gear and will not shift, in 2 it will start out in 2nd gear and will not shift. If the D3 button on the gear shift lever is pressed it will operate normally shifting up and down between 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, but will shift above 3rd gear.

How long have you been driving this vehicle? How many miles are on it? What you are feeling may well be normal operation?

Changing the fluid is a GOOD idea in any case. Be sure to use ONLY Honda DW-1 fluid. And if this is it's first change it should have the drain-fill-drive, times 3 in a short period of time.

Good luck.
The 07 CRV does indeed have an overdrive, actually a double overdrive.
From the Honda model information site, 2007 CRV:

5-Speed Automatic Transmission Gear Ratios:
  • 1st: 2.786
  • 2nd: 1.614
  • 3rd: 1.082
  • 4th: 0.773
  • 5th: 0.566
  • Reverse: 2.000
  • Final Drive: 4.500

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Indeed, fascinating...

The 07 CRV does indeed have an overdrive, actually a double overdrive.
From the Honda model information site, 2007 CRV:

5-Speed Automatic Transmission Gear Ratios:
  • 1st: 2.786
  • 2nd: 1.614
  • 3rd: 1.082
  • 4th: 0.773
  • 5th: 0.566
  • Reverse: 2.000
  • Final Drive: 4.500
There actually are different definitions for the term "overdrive," one being the transmission input shaft, and engine, turning slower than the output shaft, in this sense you are correct. However, the initial automotive use of the term "overdrive" involved a separate gear box attached to the output end of the transmission with a separate shift mechanism.

Another interesting definition is a gear ratio below that at which the engine has sufficient torque to reach maximum power, and thus unable to reach maximum speed without regard to whether an external gear box is used or not. This does not apply to the 2007 CR-V as the ratio meeting this criteria is somewhere between 3rd and 4th. 3rd does not apply because it will redline in 3rd and continue to accelerate in 4th. I seriously doubt it will pull redline in 4th though.

In the 2007 CR-V of which I own one with 86k miles, there is no extra device yielding the 4th and 5th gears, they are inherently part of the transmission and are simply two more gears in the series from 1 through 5. You could easily change the final drive ratio and all the transmission ratios so none is lower than 1:1 with exactly the same ratios between engine and rear wheel, would doing so make it not overdrive?

Having been driving cars for 50 years, the capability to block an automatic transmission from shifting above a gear being named "overdrive" is new a new one. And further, the normal condition of the 2007 CR-V D3 capability is OFF allowing the transmission to shift through all 5 gears.

So, wouldn't the D3 feature be more aptly named "underdrive"? Since when engaged it blocks using the higher gears instead of enabling them as in a typical overdrive?

Unless of course one drives normally with the D3 engaged and only allows the transmission to use only 1, 2, and 3 without driver action?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
There actually are different definitions for the term "overdrive," one being the transmission input shaft, and engine, turning slower than the output shaft, in this sense you are correct. However, the initial automotive use of the term "overdrive" involved a separate gear box attached to the output end of the transmission with a separate shift mechanism.

Another interesting definition is a gear ratio below that at which the engine has sufficient torque to reach maximum power, and thus unable to reach maximum speed without regard to whether an external gear box is used or not. This does not apply to the 2007 CR-V as the ratio meeting this criteria is somewhere between 3rd and 4th. 3rd does not apply because it will redline in 3rd and continue to accelerate in 4th. I seriously doubt it will pull redline in 4th though.

In the 2007 CR-V of which I own one with 86k miles, there is no extra device yielding the 4th and 5th gears, they are inherently part of the transmission and are simply two more gears in the series from 1 through 5. You could easily change the final drive ratio and all the transmission ratios so none is lower than 1:1 with exactly the same ratios between engine and rear wheel, would doing so make it not overdrive?

Having been driving cars for 50 years, the capability to block an automatic transmission from shifting above a gear being named "overdrive" is new a new one. And further, the normal condition of the 2007 CR-V D3 capability is OFF allowing the transmission to shift through all 5 gears.

So, wouldn't the D3 feature be more aptly named "underdrive"? Since when engaged it blocks using the higher gears instead of enabling them as in a typical overdrive?

Unless of course one drives normally with the D3 engaged and only allows the transmission to use only 1, 2, and 3 without driver action?

I am not going to debate the semantics of the overdrive transmission. The CRV used an overdrive transmission in previous generations of the model.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem found and solved.

Dam mice got in the wiring that controls the O/D. They messed up the plastic coating on the wires. Had to change the wire harness. Fortunately I have a friend that owns an auto electric repair shop. Cost 390.00 to fix.

·
Registered
772 Posts
First let me welcome you to the forum, and congradulation on finding the problem. Having an open mind and persistence always pays offf especially with automobile problems. Glad you found it...........BAD MICE.........LOL
David g.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts