Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was rear-ended while stopped at a light by a woman today who claimed she was not texting, but 'dropped' her phone while driving. Hmm, wonder why she was holding her phone in the first place while driving?

Anyway, I expected the worst but all there is is the tiniest nicks of maybe 1cm wide that don't even go maybe 1-2mm deep. I checked the bumper alignment from each side, took a bunch of pictures and I think is all ok. I am going to take it by the dealer but what I noticed is that if you pull on each side of the bumper just behind the wheels you can wiggle them in and out. I take it this is normal?

Now I just feel like the car is 'soiled' and I am kinda pissed that it happened within a week of getting a brand new car, only having a couple hundred kms on it and after driving my previous Mercedes 300E for 26 years. Also, this is only the second time I have had an accident in 46 years of driving and the previous incident was also one where I got rear-ended and it was also a woman who was texting.

Here's a couple pics showing the more prominent one of the two nicks which look like they were created by her licence plate hitting my bumper. I have all her info and she was very apologetic. I can't see doing anything unless the dealership finds there is some damage/misalignment to the bumper itself or does anyone have any other advice?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ugh I can only imagine how you must feel. I know I'd be ticked! At least no one was hurt and it seems the person who hit you is empathetic.. Definitely get the dealers opinion and even though it's just the smallest knick I'd want a new bumper .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
679 Posts
I love that the CR-V's bumpers are not painted. Makes fixing it and returning it back to new condition a very easy task.

So glad to hear the bump was minor. I guarantee you at most the styrofoam piece cracked but that's about it.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'd be having the bumper cover replaced. Why should you have damage on your vehicle due to no fault of your own? I suggest getting an estimate and turning it in to her insurance company. Your vehicle is only a week old, keep it looking new.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Get an estimate for fixing it and have her give you the cash. It would suck for her to have to file an insurance claim for something so small.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'd take the cash and not even fix it - unless the pictures don't do it justice, the damage looks very minimal.
I know everyone is different, but I could live with that if the at fault driver paid me in cash.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd be having the bumper cover replaced. Why should you have damage on your vehicle due to no fault of your own? I suggest getting an estimate and turning it in to her insurance company. Your vehicle is only a week old, keep it looking new.
I do agree with your view that I should not have to accept any damage to my vehicle, however minor it might be, given it was not my fault. The fact I just picked this car up last week adds salt to the wound.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd take the cash and not even fix it - unless the pictures don't do it justice, the damage looks very minimal.
I know everyone is different, but I could live with that if the at fault driver paid me in cash.
It is quite minimal and not that noticeable but it does piss me off. I could live with it if she gives me cash equal to the estimate. Otherwise she can hand it to her insurance company if she doesn't want to do that and it will end up costing her more over the long run (I think!).

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Oh man, that's horrible. At least no one was hurt and there is minimal damage to your new V.

·
Banned
806 Posts
Doesn't surprise me. People are dumb. I would be getting it fixed and inspected there may be clips that are busted that can't be seen.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So I go to the body shop that my dealer recommended and they price out the bumper at about $700 with parts, labour & tax but another $370 for the reinforcing bar behind the bumper, so a total of $1,070 $CAD. They tell me they don't know if the latter has to be replaced until they take off the bumper. They said previous versions of the CR-V had an 'absorber' but that is no longer present in the 2017 CR-V.

So I phone the woman who rear-ended me and tell her the price and she says that she is an "honest person" and then goes ballistic and tells me there was no damage to which I reply "yes there was a couple of dents to my bumper and possibly some internal damage that they won't know until they take the bumper off". She then tells me she's shocked, that I am trying to take advantage of her because she is 'rich and drives a nice car' (car was nice but I don't have a clue if she was rich nor does it matter), that I was also responsible (huh? I was stopped a light) and then she says she "knows a lot of lawyers'. WTF? I reply "You know what?", she says "what?" and I reply "I AM a lawyer" (which I am but I don't practice anymore). Then she says this will have to go to the insurance company but that I have no proof, only one picture to which I reply "I have 6 pictures". She keeps saying there was no damage even though there is and maybe even more inside the bumper. So, this is starting to sound like she is going to deny that she rear-ended me. So, I call my insurance company, file the claim, then I call her back and warn her that she is committing fraud if she denies that she rear-ended me, that that is a crime and she could have a criminal record and I then tell her I am recording the entire conversation (which I was) and recorded the previous one too (which I did not, but said that to scare her and hence the second call where I got her admitting that she rear ended me). I tell her that this is a lesson to her not to text and drive and that she is lucky she didn't kill someone. Btw, it is legal to record conversations in Canada even if the other party does not know.

Longer story short she then goes to the police station to file a collision report which is not required if the damage is under $2K here. The police call me and tell me it's advisable to file one too. I figure she got scared because I had her recorded saying she knew lawyers and saying that I would have to prove she hit me so she thought she had better go on record saying the opposite to the police. So, I end up having to go to the Police Collision Centre too to file a report. So far I have wasted 4 hours dealing with this. I bring my car to the body shop next Wed and the insurance adjuster will examine it and approve the repair. Then I have to wait until the bumper and reinforcing bar comes in and drop it off for another day

Anyway, I am finished venting and feel better now! lol

·
Banned
806 Posts
If she denies it ask her how you got her phone number. Should have that rear facing camera installed and there wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No kidding. I only had the car 5 days and had started to do the install but didn't have time to finish due to some unexpected things that came up. I'm going to have this car for at least a 3,650 days and didn't expect I'd be rear ended for the second time in 46 years of driving in just the first 5 days of ownership!

·
Registered
320 Posts
I was rear-ended while stopped at a light by a woman today who claimed she was not texting, but 'dropped' her phone while driving. Hmm, wonder why she was holding her phone in the first place while driving?

Anyway, I expected the worst but all there is is the tiniest nicks of maybe 1cm wide that don't even go maybe 1-2mm deep. I checked the bumper alignment from each side, took a bunch of pictures and I think is all ok. I am going to take it by the dealer but what I noticed is that if you pull on each side of the bumper just behind the wheels you can wiggle them in and out. I take it this is normal?

Now I just feel like the car is 'soiled' and I am kinda pissed that it happened within a week of getting a brand new car, only having a couple hundred kms on it and after driving my previous Mercedes 300E for 26 years. Also, this is only the second time I have had an accident in 46 years of driving and the previous incident was also one where I got rear-ended and it was also a woman who was texting.

Here's a couple pics showing the more prominent one of the two nicks which look like they were created by her licence plate hitting my bumper. I have all her info and she was very apologetic. I can't see doing anything unless the dealership finds there is some damage/misalignment to the bumper itself or does anyone have any other advice?

I feel your pain- but cosmetic damage is so minimum-infact without the arrow I could not even tell- It is 100% you will have not have any interior damage.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I feel your pain- but cosmetic damage is so minimum-infact without the arrow I could not even tell- It is 100% you will have not have any interior damage.
Actually that is only one of the dents. There is another one. She hit me really hard. The body shop, Police and DIY GUY on here commented there could be concealed damage and I agree with them not your x-ray eyes. My 86yo Mom saw the damage I show in the picture without the arrow. I guess she has better eyesight than you.

As someone else pointed out on this thread, why should I accept any damage whatsoever, cosmetic or otherwise, on my brand new car as a result of someone else's negligence? Also, I am doing the woman who rear ended me a favour as she'll realize that there are repercussions to not keeping her eyes on the road but on the phone instead. Next time she does that it could be a lot worse. She could kill someone. As such, she's getting off easy with this accident.

It's your business if you want to accept damage to your car through no fault of your own. I sure don't. Thankfully I set my bar a lot higher for myself than you do, as do most people.

·
Registered
381 Posts
the same happened to me just after I got my 2015, in late 2015. My touring has been rear ended twice so far. The first time it was like yours but a bit more damage. Their insurance replaced the bumper cover and painted it, for the cost of just under $900. The second time was very minor, a bit less then yours, and I told the driver not to worry about it. In both cases, they were texting/playing with their phones.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts