Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I wanted to document facts, trying to keep much emotion or speculation out of the thread. Meaning, my intent in this thread is to document facts from owners so when the fix comes out we have a baseline from which to compare. I've waited to start this thread until it got cold enough here in Colorado to do a true test (this morning's drive was 15° F so it was time. I posted in many threads I haven't had oil rise or heating issues so below are just facts:

Model - EX
Build Date - Mar 2018
Purchase Date - Apr 2018

Total current miles - 5,120
Lifetime MPG - 29.1 (via computer)
Average miles per drive - 10(ish)
MM - 40%
Routine Maintenance Completed - None

Oil Level - normal through 4,600, no gas smell
- 1/4 rise by 4,900
- returned to normal after 160 mile trip

Heat - cabin heat normal and operating temp normal time above 20 ° F.
- at 15° F cabin heat normal, operating temp time extended to 8.2 miles.

Detail:

Oil - through 4,600 miles, oil level held steady at top mark, no gas smell. At 4,900 I noticed a slight 1/4 increase in oil level. I noted for the previous three weeks I had taken time off work and most trips were short. I then completed a 160 mile round trip to Fort Collins and back last week and oil level dropped back to top line.

Heat - I've posted many times I do not experience the heating issue. Warm air blows by 1/4 mile and engine is to full operating temp (via the gauge) by 2-3 miles. When it's above 75 ° F this happens more quickly.

Oct 15th 2018 - first test of cold weather (prior tests were above 20 ° F.

15° F outside temp. Car parked in garage at 32° F. Warmed car for two minutes before departing. Warm air within 1/2 mile, toasty in the cabin with 2 miles. No cabin heat issues. The difference this time was operating temp. I avoided the highway to give a better test. Speed limit was 45 mph, slope was flat. Took 8.2 miles to reach full operating temp via the gauge. Note the cabin heat was fine. The temp gauge would drop at lights. Once it hit full operating temp, it would no longer drop at lights (average wait time at lights was normal, no stop-and-go traffic).

Again, I'm hoping for this thread to serve as a log of facts in which to compare after the fix. I'm not sure if I'm effected by the fix but I'll take this information to my dealer for my A1. I've been here long enough and read every post on the subject to make my decision on when my A1 will occur that fits my thought process.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Since your heat keeps you comfortable, no need to know dash vent temps.......but one of those small probe type thermometers would provide info to those with the heater issue. Good to know your oil/heat is ok.

FWIW, 34F here this A.M. (far from 15F), coolant temp floating 179F-183F and heater maintaining comfortable temp as well. I can't believe it was 83F yesterday and now 34F.:jawdrop:

·
Registered
10 Posts
FYI very similar experience as you - I've got 6000 miles on mine now and took it in preemptively as the oil level was over the top line.

Dealer had no absolutely no idea there was any kind of issue with CR-V. Geez....

·
Registered
538 Posts
15 degrees in Colorado? It's in the 30s here for me. If you could leave the car outside overnight and see if you have the heat problem or not. My wife drives the CRV and she is pretty clueless about things in general so I don't know if I have the heat issue or not. Will wait for Old Man Winter to hit WI in full force and we'll see. As for the oil, I have the gas-smelled oil. Just replaced the oil and purposely filled it up to between the dots on the dipstick. Will check in a few weeks to see if it goes higher.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just out of curiosity, where does everyone's Temp reading land when the car is at normal operating temperature? Mine seems to have its top marker line segment lined up with the upper of the two squiggly lines that form the base of the Temp icon on the gauge.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
My observations........when the engine coolant temp needle 1st appears, coolant temp is +/-130F (using ScanGauge II). When the needle stops moving (middle of gauge) coolant temp is +/-160F. Actual normal coolant temp continues to rise, leveling out and floats 179F - 185F (normal operating temp) as long as air is flowing thru the radiator.....vehicle is moving, fans are on, or both. Factory gauge needle remains in the middle. Vehicle, not moving and rad fans off, I've seen 210F on the ScanGauge II.....factory gauge needle still remains in the middle. That's a 50* swing in the actual coolant temp while the factory gauge needle remains motionless in the middle. All normal.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...below are just facts:

Model - EX
Build Date - Mar 2018
Purchase Date - Apr 2018

MM - 40%

- 1/4 rise by 4,900

Detail:

Oil - through 4,600 miles, oil level held steady at top mark, no gas smell. At 4,900 I noticed a slight 1/4 increase in oil level. I noted for the previous three weeks I had taken time off work and most trips were short. I then completed a 160 mile round trip to Fort Collins and back last week and oil level dropped back to top line.

Heat - I've posted many times I do not experience the heating issue. Warm air blows by 1/4 mile and engine is to full operating temp (via the gauge) by 2-3 miles. When it's above 75 ° F this happens more quickly.

15° F outside temp. Car parked in garage at 32° F. Warmed car for two minutes before departing. Warm air within 1/2 mile, toasty in the cabin with 2 miles. No cabin heat issues. The difference this time was operating temp. I avoided the highway to give a better test. Speed limit was 45 mph, slope was flat. Took 8.2 miles to reach full operating temp via the gauge. Note the cabin heat was fine. The temp gauge would drop at lights. Once it hit full operating temp, it would no longer drop at lights (average wait time at lights was normal, no stop-and-go traffic).

Again, I'm hoping for this thread to serve as a log of facts in which to compare after the fix. I'm not sure if I'm effected by the fix but I'll take this information to my dealer for my A1. I've been here long enough and read every post on the subject to make my decision on when my A1 will occur that fits my thought process.
** update 10/16/2018 **

Completed same drive and same miles. The temp was 25° F instead of 15° F. I drove in S mode this time until the temp gauge showed operating temp. Also note, I never (try anyway) go above 2500 RPM on a cold engine and wait until it's up to temp.

By starting in S mode, the gauge showed the engine was at temp 3.4 miles sooner than driving in D. Same route, similar traffic. Once it hit temp, I went to D mode. Could be the 10° F difference in temp contributing as well.

Instead of driving the last 3 miles at temp in D mode, S mode gave me around 6 miles at temp to finish my drive.

Also interesting, I've noted but paid attention today that the driver left dash vent went from blowing very warm air too much cooler air when the gauge hit temp. I checked the rear vents and they continued to blow very warm air. I assume the floor vents as well but I did not test.

·
Registered
441 Posts
No video today, however it was 50f when I left for work at 6am. It took 27 minuets and 11 miles to get 180F on the scan gauge. Warm air started coming thru the vents at 130F. I hung in the 160's forever. I was driving in ECO Mode

I did not notice where the factory gauge was

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...below are just facts:

Model - EX
Build Date - Mar 2018
Purchase Date - Apr 2018

MM - 40%

- 1/4 rise by 4,900

Detail:

** update 10/16/2018 **

Completed same drive and same miles. The temp was 25° F instead of 15° F. I drove in S mode this time until the temp gauge showed operating temp. Also note, I never (try anyway) go above 2500 RPM on a cold engine and wait until it's up to temp.

By starting in S mode, the gauge showed the engine was at temp 3.4 miles sooner than driving in D. Same route, similar traffic. Once it hit temp, I went to D mode. Could be the 10° F difference in temp contributing as well.

Instead of driving the last 3 miles at temp in D mode, S mode gave me around 6 miles at temp to finish my drive.

Also interesting, I've noted but paid attention today that the driver left dash vent went from blowing very warm air too much cooler air when the gauge hit temp. I checked the rear vents and they continued to blow very warm air. I assume the floor vents as well but I did not test.
** Update 10/19/2018 **

The oil level has risen again and after checking the oil my wife asked why the garage smells like gasoline. Keep in mind my levels were fine and did not move for the first 4500 miles or so. We had one extreme cold day this week (see above) and the rest were in the 30s in the morning.

Experiment time! For the last three days I'm only driving in S mode. Of course the temp gauge hits normal much faster. Also, in trying to not exceed 2500 RPM (normal for me in D mode unless I'm feeling frisky)

I'll check the oil tonight and report back. Same drive to and from work each day.

So far, the really interesting point are my MPGs from the computer. I started at 29.1 with 3/4 tank and it has barley moved down to 29. Of course the MPG light stays white in S mode but I've looked at the actual instant MPGs and of course it goes up and down but going 50 MPH on a straight stretch it holds at 30 MPGs or so and jumps way up going at a slight decent even though the MPG light holds steady at white.

Driving in S mode is way more fun and responsive but I've held off due to MPG hit which I'm actually not seeing.

Of course, on the highway I would switch to D mode.

More to come...

·
Registered
538 Posts
** Update 10/19/2018 **

I'll check the oil tonight and report back. Same drive to and from work each day.

So far, the really interesting point are my MPGs from the computer. I started at 29.1 with 3/4 tank and it has barley moved down to 29. Of course the MPG light stays white in S mode but I've looked at the actual instant MPGs and of course it goes up and down but going 50 MPH on a straight stretch it holds at 30 MPGs or so and jumps way up going at a slight decent even though the MPG light holds steady at white.

Driving in S mode is way more fun and responsive but I've held off due to MPG hit which I'm actually not seeing.

More to come...
Thanks for providing updates. I need to monitor my car too but since the wife drives it, I always let it slip.

So far temperature here is not so bad so the wife has not complained about the heat thus I don't know if I have the heat issue or not. I'm waiting for the cold weather and the wife's innocent question "how come the car doesn't have heat?"

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
So............................who's clueless?:confused2::Naughty:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...below are just facts:

Model - EX
Build Date - Mar 2018
Purchase Date - Apr 2018

MM - 40%

- 1/4 rise by 4,900

Detail:

** update 10/16/2018 **

** Update 10/19/2018 **

The oil level has risen again and after checking the oil my wife asked why the garage smells like gasoline. Keep in mind my levels were fine and did not move for the first 4500 miles or so. We had one extreme cold day this week (see above) and the rest were in the 30s in the morning.

Experiment time! For the last three days I'm only driving in S mode. Of course the temp gauge hits normal much faster. Also, in trying to not exceed 2500 RPM (normal for me in D mode unless I'm feeling frisky)

More to come...
** Update 10/30/2018 **

I've now been driving exclusively in S mode for two weeks with the following exceptions:

- Highway
- Stretches where driving in S mode takes my RPMs consistently above 2500k. This typically occurs around 50 mph.

Most of my driving is between speed limits of 40 mph and 50 mph to and from work. On the weekends we use my wife's van (three boys and a lot of stuff that won't fit well in the CRV).

Still very interesting to me are my MPGs. I'm sitting at 28.9 (down from 29.1). Overall lifetime MPG is still 28.9.

Gas smell gone.
Oil level has not risen any further (may have gone down a smidge).
Warms up noticeably faster and stays warm at stoplights.

(Also, way more fun to drive).

Note - I did the same thing in my 17' Legacy. It had a CVT as well but had paddle shifters. On cold days I would keep the RPMs at 2500k until it was warm (which would have otherwise taken forever).

I really like S mode a.c. If I would have known the only slight decrease in MPG I would have driven this way with or without any possible dilution.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure how the word "a.c." slipped in above, ignore.

One other thing I forget to mention. While driving in S mode the RPM hold around 2500k, just like driving around 70 mph on the highway. As mentioned above, if you watch the real-tone MPG monitor in S mode, you'll see even while hitting these RPM, if you're not pressing down on the gas much, it is still achieving exceptional MPG (even with the RMP).

Because on these stretches, it rarely drops below 2000k RPM, it does not struggle when you accelerate. This may be imagined, but I also feel less turbo lag from a dead stop. Everything feels smoother.

·
Registered
351 Posts
S mode is pretty fun, eh! (It even makes Honda Hybrids fun!) Good to hear the results related to gas smell is so good too. I wonder if you could switch back to D once your driving for longer periods.

In regard to engine temp, my 1.5L run consistently at 180-190, which is very common.

Warm up times I do not really have a claimed time, other than it warms up quicker at 45mph on the same roads and air temps than my other Honda 4 banger with manual HVAC. I would even claim it begins blowing heat when set to Auto faster than anything I've owned to date with Auto HVAC control. Extreme opposite to many reports on here but does make sense in my head, being a little "hot" turbo motor.

In fairness, I have not driven in air temps below 25 yet.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So here is my experience with heat

Own 2018 CRV EX-L purchased in June of 2018 and manufactured in May of 2018 in Indiana. I currently have just over 7600 miles. First oil change was done by the dealer at 5000 miles and will continue at 5K mile intervals. Also I've only used premium gas since I got the vehicle. So far I haven't noticed a rise in oil level or the smell of gas in the oil or cabin. I check the oil weekly to stay on top of it.

As for heat and warm up times I have been noting the distances required to reach operating temp (about half-way up the temp gauge) particularly during the first use in the morning. Morning temperatures here have been in the upper 30's to low 40's, so no really cold weather yet. I have been leaving the car outside overnight for now. When first used in the morning the car warms up to operating temp within 2 miles when driven in D. It reaches operating temp a bit sooner when in S. This is without running the cabin heater and the vehicle being driven around 1500-2500 rpm depending on the traffic, roads and whether its in D or S. Once at temp turning on the heater provides ample heat with the temp set at 70-72. The only anomaly I have noticed is that during the first use in the morning, with the heater on and the engine at operating temperature, the temp gauge will drop when the idling at a long traffic light. However, once the car is driven around for a while, and subsequent use during the day this does not happen. It seems as though the engine needs to be warmed up up for a period of time. Also once the car has been driven and warmed up, subsequent drives usually warm up quite quickly depending on how long the car had been sitting. It will be interesting to see how the heater and engine responds to temps below 25 F.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.