Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It shows the following now.

"Under certain driving conditions, it is normal for the engine oil level to rise above
the upper mark. If you have a concern, consult a dealer for details."

Looks like they are trying to cover themselves, maybe?
Text Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
865 Posts
It shows the following now.

"Under certain driving conditions, it is normal for the engine oil level to rise above
the upper mark. If you have a concern, consult a dealer for details."

Looks like they are trying to cover themselves, maybe?
View attachment 126345
Agreed, seems smart to add it. Thanks for pointing it out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,516 Posts
Funny that they didn't remove the warning on page 559.

NOTICE Do not fill the engine oil above the upper mark. Overfilling the engine oil may result in leaks and engine damage.

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,656 Posts
The PDF page number does not match the actual manual page number; for anyone trying to find or cross-reference information.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
11,855 Posts
^^ Conspiracy theorist! :temptation: LOL

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I remember the official factory maintenance manual for my '04 Passat (written by a 3rd-party, but sold by VW) had some wry commentary that leaked past VW... a note along the lines of "While the official replacement interval for the timing belt is 105,000, field experience has shown that earlier replacement at 60,000 may be advised." This was a nice way of saying that the original design for the timing belt tensioner was poor, and failure, when it occurred, was usually a job requiring a couple $k in repairs. But VW never did update the owner's guide.

For a separate issue, they did, however, mail out a little sheet to insert into the manual (it was a binder), mandating a switch to synthetic oil when it was discovered that it wasn't behaving well with conventional. (Incidentally, this was moot for DIY-ers, as conventional 5W-40 was a wholesale-only product.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
" Under certain driving conditions"
I am guessing that it does not state what such driving conditions would cause this, so that we can avoid these driving conditions.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Keep in mind that corporations are not people. They are not running community charities. They are formal structures that exist with the specific purpose to make profits. Nothing wrong with that, but it's senseless to expect them to do what actual people think is right when their purpose is to do what is profitable. Nothing--and I mean *nothing*--will motivate a corporation to do something that costs something without it being ultimately profitable to them.

Again, nothing wrong with free enterprise, but there should be no surprise that a corporation is slow and cagey in responding to something that will be expensive to them now and in the near future. Most new CRV owners probably don't know anything about these issues, and very, very few will cause enough of a stink to cause the corporation to fix everything for everyone.

·
Registered
265 Posts
" Under certain driving conditions"
I am guessing that it does not state what such driving conditions would cause this, so that we can avoid these driving conditions.
Probably means in colder climate regions during the winter when a cold engine is especially prone to LSPI so even more cylinder over-fueling has been programmed in to suppress it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Rusty I'll need your help on this one now.
If LSPI is reduced by adding additional fuel to the cylinder to cool the walls, how is a cold engine especially prone to LSPI?
Wouldn't a cold engine be less prone to pre-ignition?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Rusty I'll need your help on this one now.
If LSPI is reduced by adding additional fuel to the cylinder to cool the walls, how is a cold engine especially prone to LSPI?
Wouldn't a cold engine be less prone to pre-ignition?

Aghhh. Don’t egg him on to post more!

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,117 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.