Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this is the wrong place to ask this, I'm new to this forum. I just recently bought an '03 CR-V EX manual, and the CEL came on shortly after. Looks like I need to replace (at least one of) the O2 sensors. I found some good deals on Denso brand sensors on ebay (both for ~$150) which claim to be brand new, etc... Problem is they don't come in the packaging. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these things, and can help me identify whether or not the sensors I bought are the correct model.

The 234-4125 (downstream) sensor has the text:
DENSO
Assembled
in USA
12R22
and has four wires: 2 black, 1 white, 1 blue. The cable is about 41 cm.
It came with a tube of copper colored anti-seize paste.

And the 234-9005 (upstream) sensor says:
DENSO
Assembled
in USA
01Q03
and has the same wire colorings. The cable is about 25 cm.
It came with a plastic cap and pre-applied grey colored anti-seize paste.

I contacted Denso customer service about it, but they haven't gotten back to me. Any insight would be really helpful. Thanks!!

Cheers,
Jonathan

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,575 Posts
ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1480415745.372993.jpg
I'm always cautious about EBay due to then number of knock off parts. Take a look at other sources including rockauto. I would however reset the Cel and see if it returns.
Did you buy the car as is? No warranty? Code?

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
They are the proper numbers for Denso direct replacement O2 sensors and should be fine.
It is usually the upstream one (234-9005) that needs to be replaced and it helps control the air/fuel mixture.
What code did you get? If you reset it, does it stay off? Also a bad or corroded connector can throw the O2 code.
I don't know if Denso O2 sensors always come in separate packages or not.
Most likely, they are the genuine product.
Posting in the Problems & Issues or the Maintenance and Service sections might get more attention. :D
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm always cautious about EBay due to then number of knock off parts. Take a look at other sources including rockauto. I would however reset the Cel and see if it returns.
I shopped around before I bought them on ebay, including rockauto, Amazon, etc. $150 for both sensors is definitely low, but not necessarily suspiciously so ($207+s/h on Rockauto). They were both advertised as NOS, no packaging. The sensors I received look a lot like the ones in the pictures from rockauto, and the Denso distributors website, but the colored wire is blue on mine, and green in the pictures. They have the same number of holes in the metal tip cover as the rockauto pictures, beyond that I can't see enough detail in the pictures to figure out if the text matches up, and googling the text didn't help. Could be a serial number or something that wouldn't be easy to compare?

For what it's worth, I don't necessarily think they're brand knock offs. I'm more suspicious that I got different, lower quality Denso parts. How interchangeable are these things? I know they pretty much all have the same (M18) threads. So long as it's the correct type of heated sensor (probably indicated by the number of wires), would just about any cheap sensor be "passable" as the correct one (as far as the ECU knows?) or is it more of a "yes" or "no" kind of situation?

Did you buy the car as is? No warranty? Code?
Unfortunately yes. Private seller, and he denies knowing anything about a CEL, etc. I got a reasonably good deal on it though, so I think I'll still come out ahead after repairs so long as I can be a bit thrifty.

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are the proper numbers for Denso direct replacement O2 sensors and should be fine.
It is usually the upstream one (234-9005) that needs to be replaced and it helps control the air/fuel mixture.
What code did you get? If you reset it, does it stay off? Also a bad or corroded connector can throw the O2 code.
I don't know if Denso O2 sensors always come in separate packages or not.
Most likely, they are the genuine product.
Posting in the Problems & Issues or the Maintenance and Service sections might get more attention. :D
Buffalo4
Oh, cool. Posted while I was replying to rocky. Thank you for the response, that's reassuring! And thanks for the tip about the message board.

I've forgotten which code it was, but I remember it being more likely to be the downstream O2 sensor (or the cat). I'm replacing both sensors just to be safe, and because the car is definitely due for replacements anyway. I'll swap em out this evening and let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
Jonathan

·
Registered
3,929 Posts
If the code indicated the downstream O2 sensor, that indicates a clogged up catalytic converter.
Google on how to test it.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
On my '97, I purchased the Denso 234-4029 to replace my downstream sensor. It was a universal fit that came without connectors. It was about half the price of the exact same Denso sensor with the Honda wire harness on it. With the included heat-shrink tubing, I connected the wires and sealed them up. Four years later and it's working fine!

If there is the same option for the Gen 2 CR-V, it's a less expensive alternative that would work just as well. But, I don't remember how I came across the universal number--probably got it from the other forum that used to be online.

Sticking to the Denso is best. I know a few who tried the Bosch sensors and had nothing but problems with them.

FWIW, sticking with RockAuto will ensure you get a genuine Denso. I bought mine via Amazon only because it was slightly less expensive, and I had free Prime shipping. RockAuto often has the best prices on these items.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts