Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2011 CRV with 78k miles.
Wife called on her way to work that the car was acting possessed and some lights were flashing and there was intermittent loss of power. I met her at daycare with some tools and as she said the car was flashing some dash lights, no temperature reading on a clearly warm engine and when I got there it just threw a code. I used my scanner and found the code P0118. Scanner also read temperature from the OBD II showing -40F and fluctuated between the actual temperature roughly 180F.
Some research indicated a faulty Engine coolant temperature sensor. I removed and replaced it. Located here.
https://goo.gl/images/jp7ZhA
Tested vehicle and found no change. Part was only $40 not a huge loss.
YouTube university lead me here:
http://youtu.be/ZuCVzUarefE
Based on my readings and this video it may be a grounding issue somewhere in the wiring. Seems unusual in such a late model car, nothing crazy has been done to it, it does daycare and highway commuting duty every day. Fairly nice weather in central Virginia. Has anyone else had and fixed his problem? I've been measuring voltages and trying to trace wire paths for hours and it's too hot to keep going. Attached are pictures of the cluster and scanner illustrating the dash lights and other readings.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update - I found the second temperature sensor next to the lower radiator outlet. I found very little documentation on this online I hope it helps some of you find the location of the sensor. Tested it and it reads just fine. I replaced it with the original temperature sensor from the head with no positive results. I plugged it back in the lower radiator temperature sensor and it read 418°F.

I still have no idea what to do this only further confuses me.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the scanner is reading what the car is putting out, it's not actually 418*F, the water temp is more like 150. That photo was actually taken with the vehicle not running, so the rpm reading confuses me. Luckily an auto parts store is just blocks away so I got the car over there and their Bosch scanner showed two codes P0118 and P0113, coolant temp high and air intake temp that I hadn't previously checked. I did some more analysis and the car cycles through temp readings alternating between air and water. All readings are seconds (if that) apart
Reading 1: water 134F air 101F
Reading 2: water -40F air 101F
Reading 3: water -40F air -40F
Reading 4: water 136F air -40
Reading 5: water 136F air 101F

There is a ground that these both share, can anyone share where it is?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So had the vehicle towed to local Honda Dealer. Techs have been looking at it for about 3 hours now and are having trouble keeping a connection to the ECU. Its throwing all kinds of random codes and right now they are thinking its either a bad ECU or that while it was at the dealer for the airbag recall that a critter may have chewed up some of the wires. The wait continues...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After two days at the dealer, I finally get a call back, drumroll...... Bad ECU/PCM! Who would have thought? I'm really not sure what would have caused this to go bad, the car has been clean, dry, driven reasonably, only doing highway miles with a stop at daycare. 78792 miles and the PCM warranty is 8/80! I've never been so happy that I took it to the Honda dealer as most shops would have a tough time diagnosis in this and covering it under warranty. Thanks for all of the suggestions and help, I would never have been able to diagnose this one without professional help. I still love the CRV. Looking forward to having it back in the driveway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts