Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. My mom has a 2004 Honda CR-V with code P0122 popping up. Engine performance isn't great with this code. I did some research and saw there is a TSB for this issue with the year of the vehicle. However, Honda says they will not help because the VIN isn't affected by this. (Obviously it is). They quoted us $1000+ to replace the throttle body which seem REALLY steep. Has anyone else reading this had this issue and what helped them out? We went to our local mechanic and they cleaned the TPS sensor and put some fuel additive in he gas tank to see if that helps. The check engine light hasn't come back on but the engine performance is still poor.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Check above this forum in the Sticky Threads part.
Sometimes, the connector to the TPS just needs to be cleaned to ensure a good contact.
There are ways to replace just the TPS sensor itself and not the entire throttle body.
Buffalo4

·
Everything in Moderation
7,644 Posts
That link for some reason brings me to a page about crv prices.
And the YouTube link is all about the 2005 TPS which is in a different place. The 2005 was the first year of throttle-by-wire in order to accommodate the VSA.

Here's the correct link:

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/2571-tps-problem-no-more-dealer.html

Anyway, the throttle body on yours is just to the driver's (right) side of center, front of the engine bay.

Here is a diagnostic

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/honda/2.2L-2.3L/how-to-test-code-P0122-page-1

If you do the diagnostic and want to replace the TPS, you have to look aftermarket (which is why your quote was so expensive for the entire TB). You need to drill out Honda's rivets to remove only the sensor.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
That link for some reason brings me to a page about crv prices.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Strange, the upper link was to a CRVownersclub post and it still works for me. That was the TPS problem/ no dealer one.
The second link was to a youtube vid for a 2005 and I didn't realize it was different than a 2004.

Carbuff2 came up with good links that I hope help you get it fixed and also good advice on only replacing the TPS itself, and not the whole throttle body.

Troubleshoot first, replace as a last resort!! :)

Buffalo4

·
Everything in Moderation
7,644 Posts
Yeah, troubleshoot.

If there was a TSB about poor contacts on the plug, try a contact cleaner on them first.

I use DeOxit all the time on my 23 year old sports car.

(I use the drip product, not the spray. Available at auto parts stores, Amazon, even model train shops!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts