Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had a problem with my 2003 CR-V that I can't get rid of. It is the U.S. base trim package CR-V.

I bought the car used in November 2019. It was showing code P0420 when I bought it. I replaced the upstream oxygen sensor with denso part number 234-9005
(this one: Air Fuel Ratio Oxygen Sensor 234-9005 For DS 01-05 Civic 02-04 RSX 03-04 CR-V | eBay)
, and reset the codes. The P0420 code went away, but a new code P0124 took its place, so I figured there might be a problem with the connector that attached to the sensor. I soldered in a new connector
(this one: New OEM O2 oxygen sensor female connector plug with wires for Honda Acura | eBay)
and the P0124 code didn't go away. What are the next diagnostic steps to go to? I have the service manual for the car, but a diagnostic procedure for code P0124 is not listed in the service manual :(

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Wonder why P0124 isn't in manual?

Google search returned this :
P0124 is the generic OBD-II code that indicates the TPS sensor circuit A output voltage goes below or above the sensor's expected range; the signal is erratic and fails intermittently

And some info here:

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,164 Posts
^^^
P0124 is the generic OBD-II code that indicates the TPS sensor circuit
Well that may explain it.

The TPS sensors can be damaged by SPRAYING a cleaner at the throttle body, which why we always recommend soaking a rag with the cleaner then wiping the butterfly.

Anyway, at one time Honda only sold the TPS as part of the entire throttle body ($$$$). But, Aftermarket to the Rescue! They sell just the sensor.

Post back with the outcome.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Just looked in my 03 service manual. true. There is no p0124. There is a p0122 and p0123 that are throttle position sensor codes low/high.

however, there is a p0134 AF sensor stuck lean. OP - did you type the DTC number incorrectly? It would make more sense to me that you meant to type p0134 since you were dealing with your oxygen sensors.

ALSO .... here is a Toyota/Lexus link regarding the AF sensor you bought off of eBay....

This guy at the Lexus website is saying that there are a number of counterfeit oxygen sensors on eBay, specifically saying that denso does not use eBay as an authorized reseller, and denso does not print the part numbers on their o2 sensors - while the picture on eBay for your item does print the part number on the sensor. To me, the sensor picture also looks different from the manufacturers website.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts