Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2004 CR-V that has had a consistent P0171 with intermittent P1457 Check Engine lights and poor gas mileage. I've been troubleshooting it, and it seems related to the evap system.

I recently removed the Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid from under the hood and plugged up both ends, and the codes were gone. I have decent gas mileage again and I haven't seen a code in over 200 miles (P0171 would consistently pop up after 25 or so miles.)

I was thinking I'd just have to replace the Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid, but after doing a test on it, I'm not so sure.
I connected it to a 9v battery, and it opens and closes when I make a connection with the battery and then disconnect it. Does that mean it works?

Could removing the Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid stop an issue that causes the P0171 from another part of the evap system?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to replace parts that may be working, and not solve the issue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
Was anything done before this happened? Did you check if the valve is holding pressure by blowing into the pipes? Is the Canister Purge Solenoid corroded? Odometer reading? How about the hoses that goes to the valve, condition?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was anything done before this happened? Did you check if the valve is holding pressure by blowing into the pipes? Is the Canister Purge Solenoid corroded? Odometer reading? How about the hoses that goes to the valve, condition?
I had a JDM swap done two years ago, and it started after that. The vehicle has 105k miles, and the engine has approximately 65k miles.

I blew into the valve when it was disconnected, and no air came through. I also see no corrosion on it.

The hoses that go into the valve look ok. One thing I did notice is that there isn't a Vacuum Chamber and instead there is a piece of a Bic pen connecting the two pipes. The connection seems airtight, though. I can't for the life of me find the Vacuum Chamber as a part to buy on its own.

My assumption has been that if the Canister Purge Solenoid is working properly, there is no way I could get a lean condition from anything 'downstream' of it in the Evap system, since it controls whether or not vapor/air gets in?

Based on that assumption, when I pull out the Canister Purge Solenoid and plug up both ends, and there is no more code or gas mileage issues, I would think that the problem is the Canister Purge Solenoid. It just doesn't make sense to me when I test it that it opens and closes so easily, and appears to have no issues/cracks/leaks, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I had a JDM swap done two years ago, and it started after that. The vehicle has 105k miles, and the engine has approximately 65k miles.

I blew into the valve when it was disconnected, and no air came through. I also see no corrosion on it.

The hoses that go into the valve look ok. One thing I did notice is that there isn't a Vacuum Chamber and instead there is a piece of a Bic pen connecting the two pipes. The connection seems airtight, though. I can't for the life of me find the Vacuum Chamber as a part to buy on its own.

My assumption has been that if the Canister Purge Solenoid is working properly, there is no way I could get a lean condition from anything 'downstream' of it in the Evap system, since it controls whether or not vapor/air gets in?

Based on that assumption, when I pull out the Canister Purge Solenoid and plug up both ends, and there is no more code or gas mileage issues, I would think that the problem is the Canister Purge Solenoid. It just doesn't make sense to me when I test it that it opens and closes so easily, and appears to have no issues/cracks/leaks, etc.
Just a quick note... I found out the name of the part that is missing: Evap Service Port Evaporation Test Vent. There is a bic pen piece holding together the two hoses where it should be, and it seems to be a completely airtight seal.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I found an Evap Service Port Evaporation Test Vent for $1 at the junk yard and put it on. I also reinstalled the Vapor Canister Purge Solenoid, and noticed there was A LOT of play when I put it back on the engine. The gasket on it looks good, so I just took a piece of rubber band and put it around the gasket to create a tighter seal. Drove about 90 miles so far, and no code.

If the code doesn't return, I'll look for a more permanent solution and will post an update either way.

Thanks for the replies!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.