Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone

Happy to finally be a member of this board.

I have a 2005 CRV SE @ 163,000 miles. Automatic.

The past month or two or so I've noticed the crv jerking while changing gears. This was especially noticeable when de-accelerating to exit the highway and also during city driving between 1st and second gears. It has gotten progressively worse.

Last week while driving it was especially aggressive and I got the CEL. My error codes were: 62-1, 83-1, P0685

Took it to my mechanic and he replaced the battery. Said it was possible that it was a starter issue and that I ought to have my PCM software updated. But wanted to start with the battery. When returning the car home I had to spend maybe 30 minutes looking for parking and the CEL went back on and the car went into limp mode.

I'm able to start the car just fine but I still have the CEL on and the car performs poorly (jolting while accelerating/changing gears).

I'd like to address the P0685 issue myself. Since the battery is good and the terminals/cables are fine. I figured I should change the ECM relay and also check to see if the ECM fuse is blown - according to web searches for this error code.

I've read too that a ground cable may be at fault (g101?) but I can't find a specific diagram for where this is located on my 05.

I'm unable to find a service manual online so I was hoping someone here could direct me to where these are located exactly (I know the ECM relay is under the passenger dash, but I'm not sure which one it is) and also the correct procedure from start to finish in replacing them. Ie: Can I remove and replace the relay while the battery is still hooked up? Can I pull a fuse to check if its good while the battery is hooked up? Where is the ECM fuse located?

I'm apprehensive to take this to a dealer as the closest Honda service center is far away and I can't afford to throw any money at this to diagnose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Did you check the ECM fuse? Was it OK and tested or replaced? page 241 in your owner's manual
Fuse #3 (15A) in the Secondary Under Hood Fuse Box.
https://www.autocodes.com/p0685_honda.html

Hopefully someone who has experienced that will post with suggestions.

Not sure where the bat neg cable grounds to, but you should be able to physically trace it or find that location on the Internet.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Buffalo4

I did check the ECM fuse and it appeared to be fine (not broken).

Wondering if I can put an aftermarket ECM relay in place of the current one to see if that's the problem?

Otherwise I'm at a loss. No luck thus far location the G101.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Never assume a fuse is fine just by looking at it. Replace it or check it out with a multimeter.
Also, the simple act or removing and reinserting a fuse burnishes the contact points helping to ensure good electrical contact.
If you search online, you may find that another relay in your CRV is identical to the ECM relay and you could possibly just switch relays to see if the problem follows the relay.
Buffalo4
PS: Aftermarket relays 'should' be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts