Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought a used 2003 CRV from a dealer and on the way home from it after purchasing, I was going down hill at 80 mph, realized I was speeding, and at about the moment I let off the gas, the car jerked, lost acceleration, revved above 3k rpm and the check engine light came on. I do believe I smelled something, something very light, but a burning smell, nonetheless. When I went to O'Reilly's to get it scanned, their scanner pulled up P1259 and another one that indicated high voltage on the battery. I thought that was really interesting. I've read a lot about this code and there are so many situations where so many things are tried (replaced solenoids, cleaned filters, air intake, wiring, on and on and on) and once, only once, in this forum, I read a man tried to address what I feel is the cause of the problem in the first place: poor maintanance and build-up of crud and sludge in the engine. The previous owner probably did not change the oil for over 30k miles. That's not necessarily a death sentence for a car.... is it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it's certainly not good.

Today's project is for you to change the oil and filter.
The thing is, the oil has already been very recently changed, which is why I suspect sludge in the system. Also, I'm hearing that Honda CRVs have transmission issues around 85k miles... has that been your experience?

·
Registered
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
I don't yet have a CR-V so I can't comment on the transmissions. I do have an 07 Honda Accord with the 2.4 engine though.

The only reason I can think of for the transmissions to have problems after 85000 miles is someone didn't change the ATF regularly.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Is the AT fluid clear and pinkish or black and cruddy or dark and fairly clear or ? Does it smell burnt?

It is very easy to change the ATF yourself. There are youtube vids etc.
Use Honda DW-1 which most here recommend although quite a few use the cheaper Valvoline Maxlife Dex/Merc atf with excellent results. It takes around 3 qts for a drain and fill. (3.1qts for 2WD and 3.3qts for 4WD) (total capacities are 6.5 qts and 7.2 qts)
It does sound like the tranny downshifted by itself when you took your foot of the gas. Did you also step on the brake lightly at that time? If so, sometimes that will trigger a downshift.
Changing the motor oil and filter with the proper grade and quality (high) sure wouldn't hurt either. (4.4 qts with filter-4.2 without filter)
When you get it straightened out, it is usually a good idea to temporarily get the rpms up high enough , several times a month, to get into the variable valve timing, Helps keeps those passages clean, or so I'm told.
Now, about the high voltage, that is a different story. Could be just because of the sudden increase in rpms in the alternator when the engine downshifted, but that still shouldn't happen.
If the alternator is always putting out excessive voltage, you can easily check it with a multi-meter. Should not be above 14.3 v, I believe and it should drop down when the battery is fully charged. Have battery and it's connections checked also.
Possibly may need to rebuild the alternator or replace it. Get it tested first.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
So, I bought a used 2003 CRV from a dealer and on the way home from it after purchasing, I was going down hill at 80 mph, realized I was speeding, and at about the moment I let off the gas, the car jerked, lost acceleration, revved above 3k rpm and the check engine light came on. I do believe I smelled something, something very light, but a burning smell, nonetheless. When I went to O'Reilly's to get it scanned, their scanner pulled up P1259 and another one that indicated high voltage on the battery. I thought that was really interesting. I've read a lot about this code and there are so many situations where so many things are tried (replaced solenoids, cleaned filters, air intake, wiring, on and on and on) and once, only once, in this forum, I read a man tried to address what I feel is the cause of the problem in the first place: poor maintanance and build-up of crud and sludge in the engine. The previous owner probably did not change the oil for over 30k miles. That's not necessarily a death sentence for a car.... is it?
As Carbuff2 suggested, there is a lot of info to be found in a Google search.
Buffalo4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts