Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we leased a 17 CR-V touring model for the wife. $450/month with just inception. Didn't think it was a bad deal considering they aren't budging and the best lease deal I saw online was $433 with 3k down.

Anyway I convinced her to pay a little more for the touring cause the headlights are awesome, reminds me of the RDX/Acura line with the jewel look. So far the car has been great. However, this weekend I finally got down and dirty with the car and pulled out the detail gear. 1 stage polish and sealant. I noticed a couple panels on the car had small imperfections in the paint. Not sure if they were fish eyes but you could see what looks like a really small circle that is just above the paint. Is this just a Honda thing now or is it the CR-V? Granted my BMW isn't much better either I'm looking at paint more closely now and days than I did before or factory paint jobs just aren't that great.

Anyone look at their paint?

Pic of car:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does honda sell black out grills? I'd love to black that out but professionally not bobo paint. Also going to get the running guards and all season mat/cargo mat. Door visors are cool looking too. My last Honda was an S2000 and Civic SI, missed them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Most mainstream cars will have at least a few paint flaws here and there. I was once told by a bodyshop rep that most manufacturers allow up to six "blemishes" per panel. These would of course be relatively minor, but still within tolerance. I've seen Hondas will all degrees of paint qualities. My pearl white 2013 Accord Coupe's paint finish is relatively blemish free, except the paint is heavily orange-peeled at the very front edge of the hood where it swoops downward aggressively. Sounds like what you describe is within spec, but nonetheless disappointing.

I had a 2012 Civic Si that had horrible paint flaws. It was smooth and glossy, but the base coat had many streaks in it somehow. It looked like someone dragged a feather duster across the wet paint before the clear coat was applied, and affected the driver side and trunk. I didn't notice it until I was about to do my first detail and the lighting had to be just right. I decided to not get involved with the dealer for fear of any fix implemented would be worse than the root problem. The paint was one of the major reasons I traded the car in after exactly one year.

·
Registered
262 Posts
My '17 Ridgeline has a paint drip near the bottom of one door and a 1.5 inch-long crack in the base coat under the clear coat on the trailing edge of the hood. It took me a few months of weekly hand washes to discover the flaws. I have no intentions of doing anything about it since I'd rather have a slightly-flawed factory paint job than one that has been sanded, painted, and blended by humans outside the factory. I've owned and detailed a lot of vehicles over the decades. I don't remember ever having a factory paint defect until recently. The closest was reddish-brown spots of rail dust on the rear bumper of my white '99 Regal, but that wasn't GM's fault.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've owned several Honda cars over the past 30 years and have not seen any paint flaws like you guys are posting. I will be sure to check our new CR-V thoroughly prior to taking delivery.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have something very similar so i I just got home and researched this issue and found your post. I too detailed my car yesterday and noticed little black dots just under the paint and just on the hood. No where else. I took to a custom paint place to see what they could do and they said it looked like a defect in the paint so to take to the service department at the dealer to take a look. The manager of the detail department came out and their comment was I have paint specks on my car. I asked how and why the specs are only on the hood and no where else. No where on the front of the car at all. They suggested that a truck on the highway must have done it even though there is no damage like that anyplace else. Their solution: For me to take it to a paint shop to wet sand them out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I noticed some things on my car as well. See a bump on the roof a little chip in the rear quarter and black flecks (car is white) on the gate. I had a white honda van before and it also had black flecks on the gate. I ran a clay bar over the spots and no improvement.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I see similar light "orange peel" on my EX-L from Ohio plant. Color is Dark Olive Metallic. Car has been claybarred and several Klasse sealants applied.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, Klasse AIO and 2 coats High Gloss Sealant Glaze and actually used a Nanoskin Wash Mitt as decontamination step on a 1 week old car. Only did the decon to have no excuses on sealant.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I noticed some things on my car as well. See a bump on the roof a little chip in the rear quarter and black flecks (car is white) on the gate. I had a white honda van before and it also had black flecks on the gate. I ran a clay bar over the spots and no improvement.
I too have 21 tiny black specks on the tailgate and took it back to the dealer. These flecks are under the clear so a whole gate repaint is the only solution.

Otherwise the paint is flawless. No fisheyes no orange peel

·
Registered
283 Posts
I had klasse on crv initially and switch over to carpro cquartz. Love the hydrophobia property of cquartz, klass glaze is good but cquartz is another level.
I have gunmetal color and the car shine and have more depth in color with klasse - glossy, colors pops - purple hue under sunlight and dark gray/carbon look under most light condition. With cquartz, the car have huge amount of glossy look and seem a bit flat on color - look gray at all light condition.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dark Olive Metallic is a camelion. Bright light reveals its dark green color with flecks of purple, green, gold, red, and blue. Cloudy days or nighttime it looks black. The Klasse product does seem to bring out a good depth. Just wish looking at the panels at a side angle it looked smooth and didn't have an irregular "ripple".

·
Registered
679 Posts
I don't have fish-eye or orange peel. I have found about 5 incredibly small black dots under the clear coat on my White Diamond Pearl that I don't care about one bit. In fact, I am surprised that they can achieve such level of purity on a white car.

·
Registered
84 Posts
You guys are lucky, after we owned our 17 Touring for a week I was getting ready to put some paint sealant and noticed a ton of scratches and swirl marks all over the hood and roof. I have a good buffer but no way I was going to attempt this level of work. I was heartbroken, ended up taking it to a paint shop and they were able to buff them out. I wasn't sure if they were there before I bought the car or if it happened the first time I ran it through the car wash. I didn't feel comfortable trying to blame the dealer when I wasn't 100% sure when it happened. At any rate, no more brushes on this car for sure.

·
Registered
679 Posts
You guys are lucky, after we owned our 17 Touring for a week I was getting ready to put some paint sealant and noticed a ton of scratches and swirl marks all over the hood and roof. I have a good buffer but no way I was going to attempt this level of work. I was heartbroken, ended up taking it to a paint shop and they were able to buff them out. I wasn't sure if they were there before I bought the car or if it happened the first time I ran it through the car wash. I didn't feel comfortable trying to blame the dealer when I wasn't 100% sure when it happened. At any rate, no more brushes on this car for sure.
Definitely the brushes. My car was approach is ridiculously meticulous to prevent swirl marks.

·
Registered
283 Posts
did you let the dealer prep. your car?? During the purchased, I asked not to touch the car at all and if I see any swirl marks i'll walked away at signing. Luckily my friend at dealer body shop took over the prep, he prepared the car and removed the orange peels for me. He saved me a lot of time preparing the car.He used 3M perfect It buff and polishing products.
Light swirl marks from car washes can be buffed off easily with DA+finishing pad (lake3 country CCS black)+meguiar 205 but before you start, make sure you wash and decontaminate (clayed) any the swirled surface so the pad wont be fouled with contaminates when you are polishing the surface. Since you are going to seal the paint, you should polish the whole car, follow by IPA wipe down and then apply sealant.

·
Registered
679 Posts
did you let the dealer prep. your car?? During the purchased, I asked not to touch the car at all and if I see any swirl marks i'll walked away at signing. Luckily my friend at dealer body shop took over the prep, he prepared the car and removed the orange peels for me. He saved me a lot of time preparing the car.He used 3M perfect It buff and polishing products.
Light swirl marks from car washes can be buffed off easily with DA+finishing pad (lake3 country CCS black)+meguiar 205 but before you start, make sure you wash and decontaminate (clayed) any the swirled surface so the pad wont be fouled with contaminates when you are polishing the surface. Since you are going to seal the paint, you should polish the whole car, follow by IPA wipe down and then apply sealant.
Unless you use a fine compound or similar, which is abrasive and cuts a thin layer of clear, I think anything else that "removes" swirl marks is actually just hiding them by filling them up.

Swirl marks are going to happen no matter what. But the dealer gets you a year's worth of them in a day.

·
Registered
283 Posts
205 is a finishing polish, very fine abrasive.

most coating (cquartz, opti quards, ceramic pro) and some sealants (klasse) will prevent most commonly light swirl and light scratches. Swirls /scratches from dirty towel/brush from car wash, dealer washes will still happen with any type of coating/sealant so avoid them. full body ppf is the only way to prevent paint scratches, since the wear are on the film.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I think every paint has some flaws depending on how hard you want to look and how anal you are... . It is bound to happen with mass produced assembly line painting. That being said it depends on the color as well. (Show me black paint that is flawless! ) I buy white for this reason! I could literally wash my car with a wash clothe and although i know i would be scratching it, no one is going to see it...!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts