Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On the 2012 CR-V, has anybody noticed shadows in the paint?
The day after getting my new Urban Titanium CR-V, I noticed a spot in the hood paint under certain angles. The overhead garage light, or bright sunlight will make it show as I pass by to get in the vehicle. It's really hard to see on a cloudy day.
I took it back to show the manager, and he seemed to see it, but the jury is still out on what to do about it.
I go back to the dealer for the glass-coat soon, and they are supposed to address this. I'm positive it won't buff out, since the clear-coat is uniform.
(I tried several times to insert a picture-don't know if it will insert at posting)
get-attachment.aspx.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the update:
(When I dropped the car off, I told them to "make the spot go away"...)

The dealer can't or won't tell me how the blemish got there.
They went ahead and polished on the spot, which made that area worse--now there are scratchy swirls to go along with the blemish. (I saw the scratches when I pulled into the garage that evening)
They applied the glass-coat to the finish of the car on top of all that.
When they called me on the phone to come get it, the service manager went on and on about how hard it is for him to see the spot in the first place.
The service manager said he would paint the hood if I wanted, but that the paint would probably not match, and the paint would have to be blended along the door, too.
I told him I would be contacting Honda customer service, and he said they would just assign a number and refer it back to him for a solution.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Had a similar blemish years ago on the hood of a silver GM product. Dealer first tried to make me believe I was seeing things, then agreed top paint the hood. After 3 attempts at matching the factory paint - each worse than the last, I gave up eventually selling the car due to this and several other problems. Got killed on the resale too...

·
Registered
44 Posts
The picture shows the spot pretty clearly. I don't know what you could really do at this point beside get the hood repainted. This picture looks like it is only on the part of the hood that opens. I don't know why they would need to blend the paint - I would think they could just remove and repaint the entire hood. The car is new so there should be little to no fading at this point. It's not like they don't have access to factory paint. The color match should be good.

·
Premium Member
3,666 Posts
The picture shows the spot pretty clearly. I don't know what you could really do at this point beside get the hood repainted. This picture looks like it is only on the part of the hood that opens. I don't know why they would need to blend the paint - I would think they could just remove and repaint the entire hood. The car is new so there should be little to no fading at this point. It's not like they don't have access to factory paint. The color match should be good.
The blending is not for reasons of fading paint...It is due to variations in paint formulations.

We don't but our paint from Honda.

Honda gives us the paint formulation for the different paint manufacturers and we mix the paint in the body shop. If they paint the hood only you may not notice it right away....But you will over time.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Take the vehicle BACK to the dealer and tell them you want the entire vehicle repainted or you will be returning it to with them and walking away. Just my opinion.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
374 Posts
Gee, that is really conspicuous. Trying to "buff out" what obviously is in the basecoat doesn't make a lot of sense.

If you can't live with it -- and I certainly can understand why you wouldn't want to -- the only practical alternative is repainting the hood. Doing it right will be difficult, of course, but I can tell you from the perspective of repair work done on my wife's metallic blue Camry years ago that it can be done by those who do the work, and do it often (crucial, IMHO), for a living. The paint work was guaranteed for a decade by a certified Dupont paint center, and I swear it was flawless.

I appreciate your frustration, and sincerely wish you good luck in resolving this.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd live with it. If they do repaint in a few years it's going to look it. The paint on hood really takes a beating due to the heat from the engine. It will crackle and look like old pottery. I'm sure they will do there damest to find a place that will paint it the cheapest too.

·
Registered
41 Posts
On the 2012 CR-V, has anybody noticed shadows in the paint?
The day after getting my new Urban Titanium CR-V, I noticed a spot in the hood paint under certain angles. The overhead garage light, or bright sunlight will make it show as I pass by to get in the vehicle. It's really hard to see on a cloudy day.
I took it back to show the manager, and he seemed to see it, but the jury is still out on what to do about it.
I go back to the dealer for the glass-coat soon, and they are supposed to address this. I'm positive it won't buff out, since the clear-coat is uniform.
(I tried several times to insert a picture-don't know if it will insert at posting)
View attachment 6907
I can clearly see the spot you're referring to on your hood.
I realize that this thread is 8 months old but I just purchased a new '12 CR-V EX-L w/navi, Alabaster Silver. I've had a the vehicle for a few weeks now, but yesterday I too noticed a blemish/discoloration on my vehicle. The spot is located on the passenger side rear door, just below the window. It does bother me to look at but figured that the only option would be to have the door repainted, once I take it to the dealership...but I do run the risk of the paint not matching once that's done.

What have you done in regards to your paint problem?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts