Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ready to buy new rims but I’m wondering if there is a quality difference between painted and chrome wheels? Here are two wheels. The first is chrome, the second is painted. Similar styles. Please give me your opinion regarding quality of chrome and painted. My choice, of course, is chrome.

Chrome
935CFFB4-0FBF-4F8A-BF4C-32C65970FCF3.jpg

Painted
600D63A9-02A5-4E17-B3E0-A54DC44A5CC4.jpg

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
Any salted roads where you live? HMMMM

We have had chrome-plated factory alloys corrode and fail to hold air. There was a time when several domestic manufacturers sold plastic chrome hub-caps over alloys, to prevent this issue.

My experience with aftermarket alloys (whether painted or chromed) is that they are not clear-coated as well as factory stuff, so they deteriorate faster.

We recently went used car shopping with a friend and I got to see several corroded alloy wheels....even on the hub=cap ones, I saw corrosion on the edges (and where weights had been clipped).

PS: I like the lower wheel style, but an 'open' design like that almost demands painted brake calipers. GRIN Many Honda calipers develop surface rust quickly...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only a few days a year. You answered my question by stating after market wheels are / can be inferior to oe. That was an issue not considered. Thanks.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
Again, you get what you pay for. A more expensive ('name brand') wheel will be more robust. Both sets of factory wheels on our '06 are Enkei.

But, even dealer-supplied accessory wheels corroded faster than OE on our friend's Civic.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again, you get what you pay for. A more expensive ('name brand') wheel will be more robust. Both sets of factory wheels on our '06 are Enkei.

But, even dealer-supplied accessory wheels corroded faster than OE on our friend's Civic.
Is there a way to know a good brand from a bad?.......Thanks

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,789 Posts
I couldn't tell you how you can tell, if ordering remotely.

Visually, the clear-coat on factory wheels is thicker. 'Back in the day', even Honda steelies were better painted than many other brands.

But these days, you can ceramic-coat your wheels (as you can with a car's body) to provide protection for years. On another group I frequent, a cost of $50/wheel was mentioned.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking at Discount Tire online. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts