Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
01 CRV with stock alloy wheels. Paint starting to peel at 179K and 9 years. Can't complain.... But does anybody have an update on what I can use to repaint these as they are starting to look bad. An old thread suggests some hard to obtain aircraft type of paint. I don't have access to that or even to spray equipment. So I'm looking to learn if there is something available in the auto parts stores that does a suitable job that can stand up to car washes, road debris, etc. I'm also looking to keep the stock "silver" look", too, as much as I'd like to make them match the black trim I know chips and the like will show too easily.

Thanks.

·
MECP Audio Expert
2,066 Posts
It's "aircraft paint remover" and is easy to get. That cleans and preps the item to be painted, usually for valve covers. Regular primer, or krylon primer should be fine. I always use high temp paint for everything. Prep is the longest part. Tapeing up, sanding. Not hard to do at all. I do it every year. (to other vehicle parts, but I used to dothe wheels too.) It is easier, last longer and looks better to have it professionally painted, but most people dont likethe cost and just DIY.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I've never done aluminum alloy wheels before. Back in the day, I'd regularly repaint the GM steel wheels on my Camaro -- any aluminum colored paint or silver colored paint would do, and prep involved an electric drill and a wire brush! And light gray primer, of course. Those "beauty rings" covered a lot a sins, I guess.

But the stock paint is peeling like one sees on wood siding -- can lift it off in strips. Will the aircraft paint remover etch the surface enough to make new paint adhere well? That's what I was was concerned about -- the priming sticking to the wheel so the paint will stick to the stuck-on primer. Or should I just wait until Spring, polish and buff with an electric drill motor, and clear coat them to seal them? Have no idea how Honda alloy looks polished out. Or is that idea entirely crazy?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts