Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pandora does not seem to play via the app on Bluetooth. But it will play via the Bluetooth App. I noticed this after my free subscription to SIRIUS ended and I did not purchase. Might be totally unrelated. Any ideas?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Mine did the same the first time I selected it. Then from then on it has worked great other than no using my saved "stations" for certain artist themes.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
is there any resolution for the pandora not working. Pandora works on BlueTooth but not with the app. Pandora works well with Apple CarPlay but I don't feel like plugging in my phone all of the time, I just want to jump in the CRV and go.

·
Registered
78 Posts
is there any resolution for the pandora not working. Pandora works on BlueTooth but not with the app. Pandora works well with Apple CarPlay but I don't feel like plugging in my phone all of the time, I just want to jump in the CRV and go.
I'll have to confirm this later, but dont you need to connect the head unit to WiFi for the built in Pandora app to work? I don't think it can get data through Bluetooth. So you have to enable WiFi hotspot on your phone.

Pandora app on your phone works cuz it already has data connection, and is just feeding audio over Bluetooth. That, it can do, but data over Bluetooth, I'm pretty sure is not possible.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Acerunner is correct. You need the head unit connected to your phones wifi hotspot.
Bluetooth does not provide nearly enough speed and is not made for that purpose.

Rob

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
COOL, I will try that, makes perfect sense to me.
My 2017 Honda HR-V and my 2016 Honda Pilot works without the HotSpot enabled, it went through the BlueTooth. I never thought that the CR-V would work differently.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is how Pandora works on my CR-V:

1. Pandora must be installed on your smartphone.
2. Smartphone must have a cellular or wifi internet connection
3. Apple Car Play or Android auto must be installed on your cell phone.
4. Honda Infotainment System (HIS) does NOT need to be connected to WiFi.

Once #1-4 above have been verified, choose Honda Infotainment System (HIS) OR Android Auto (AA) to play pandora:
(one or the other, not both at the same time)

Honda Infotainment System (HIS):

1. If not already connected to HIS via Bluetooth - Connect your smartphone to the HIS via Bluetooth
2. In the HIS interface (not phone) choose the Audio Source as Pandora
3. Pandora should load automagically
4. Music is controlled from the HIS not your smartphone
5. Pandora program on this smartphone will display - PANDORA ->>>> ACCESSORY (black & white screen with no controls)
6. Pandora will use your smartphone's internet connection to stream Pandora (AKA using data)

Android Auto: (This is how it works on my Android smartphone, Apple may vary)

1. Plug in your smartphone via USB cable that is connected to the USB port in the center console with the little smartphone picture on it
2. On the HIS home screen, choose "Smartphone" with the AA icon (my is displayed in the lower left of the screen)
3. Once AA is loaded, choose the headphone button on the bottom of the screen
4. Make sure Pandora is chosen (headphone icon little arrow will display all the programs installed on your smartphone that can use AA audio functions)
5. Music is controlled via AA on the HIS
5. Pandora will use your smartphone's internet connection to stream Pandora (AKA using data)

Connecting HIS to Wifi is not needed because it utilizes the smartphone's internet connection to stream music.

Note:
No need to turn on your smartphone's hotspot feature
Bluetooth (using HIS method above) will transmit the music from your phone to the HIS without issues
Keep in mind that the Pandora app on your smartphone is doing all the streaming/work, the HIS is basically a display

Hope this helped!

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
That is great information, thank you. I?ve done all the things you have stated, Pandora still flashes on and off, and it continues not to work.
My 2016 pilot and my 2017 HRV Pandora work great with Pandora app. The CRV, the Pandora only works on the Apple CarPlay and in Bluetooth mode.

·
Registered
64 Posts
That is great information, thank you. I?ve done all the things you have stated, Pandora still flashes on and off, and it continues not to work.
My 2016 pilot and my 2017 HRV Pandora work great with Pandora app. The CRV, the Pandora only works on the Apple CarPlay and in Bluetooth mode.
What phone do you have?
What OS version is the phone using?
How are you connecting when Pandora starts flashing?
Any Pandora software updates to install?
Have you tried uninstalling Pandora and reinstalling on your phone?
Have you restarted the HIS? (hold the power button until restart message appears)

Is it possible to get a video of the flashing pandora?

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
What phone do you have?
Have you restarted the HIS? (hold the power button until restart message appears)

-Iphone 8
-IOS 11.1.1
-bluetooth connected in phone & music mode at least 5 times in the past 2 weeks
-all Pandora updates
- I've done over 5 uninstalls Pandora apps on the phone in the last 2 weeks
- I did not do a HIS restart but, I brought it in to the local Honda dealer to have my infotainment center "Factory Data Reset". Are you saying to hold the volume/radio dial in until the "restart message appears"?

·
Registered
64 Posts
-Iphone 8
-IOS 11.1.1
-bluetooth connected in phone & music mode at least 5 times in the past 2 weeks
-all Pandora updates
- I've done over 5 uninstalls Pandora apps on the phone in the last 2 weeks
- I did not do a HIS restart but, I brought it into the local Honda dealer to have my infotainment center "Factory Data Reset". Are you saying to hold the volume/radio dial in until the "restart message appears"?
Yes - to reboot the HIS - Hold the volume/power button down for about 10 seconds until a message appears asking if you want to restart. Choose yes and re-test. It does not reset any settings, just reboots the HIS. The HIS never really powers off when the car is powered off and sometimes requires a reboot to fix problems. Hopefully the restart will fix the problem.

An update to the HIS software will not hurt anything either.

It will be difficult to troubleshoot further since I do not own an iPhone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am having the same issues connecting Pandora to my CR-V ever since going from the iphone 6 to the iphone 8.

I did a restart on my iphone 8 and tried everything mentioned above but rebooting the HIS but can't find in the app store for apple car play to install on my phone and don't remember installing anything on my iphone 6 when I bought the car this summer....had no issues with pandora when using the ipone 6.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
Thanks guys for all of your help, I wouldn't of gotten this far without it. Long story short, My Pandora App is messed up!!!! Tonight I did a HIS reboot and I was getting Pandora app to work a little, It would flash on and off on the Infotainment screen and the music would get messed up too. So after failing at that attempt I plugged in my iPhone to find out that CarPlay no longer works. it says the phone needs to be plugged into the USB port. I started to think that maybe that was my issue why I had to bring my CRV into the dealership for a re-flash of data last week. So, I rebooted the HIS again, my CarPlay now works. so as a test I tried to run my Pandora app which I knew it wouldn't work, and it didn't but it made my CarPlay disappear again. At the end of the night I rebooted the HIS a 3rd time to get my CarPlay back, I will have to see what the dealership can do for me to get it going. I guess I will have to limp along with Apple CarPlay running Pandora.

·
Premium Member
201 Posts
I spent a couple hours at the local Honda dealership working on my Pandora app issues. It was a great day today, what we found out is our CRV is not broken! The service manager and I went out to the new car lot and climbed in a new 2017 CR-V touring and ran CarPlay Pandora, it was awesome... But then as soon as we unplugged my phone and ran the Pandora app from the Honda Audio menu, it acted like my CR-V, Pandora would flash on and off and the music was messed up. Now at this point I now have the service manager & assistant manager. I told them "watch this" I plugged my iPhone 8 back into the USB that is marked for CarPlay, the display said that the USB port was unable to communicate, CarPlay is now dead in the water, they were amazed. I then did a reboot of the infotainment display "pushing in the volume/power button" for 10 seconds. Now the CarPlay is back to working as long as I don't choose the Pandora app in the Honda audio menu.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am convinced that there is sometype of bug with Pandora. It is spotty. When it works it is great. You do not need to turn Wifi on. But, when it does not work, as I mentioned you need to play over blue tooth connection. Sometimes Carplay does not work either. Currently, Honda Link does not work at all and neither does Pandora App, but Pandora works via Apply Carplay. So, I am convinced this has something to do with Honda Link. I just don't no how to fix it.

·
Registered
178 Posts
What phone do you have?

My pandora is completely dead now. Here is a video I made of Pandora flashing. Mine won’t even connect now. It says no phone connected, but it will make calls on Bluetooth

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ap5s44tNsAB8xzwtmoWcYbbQUtjn

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
OK just out of curiosity have any of you just tried parking the car next to your house and connecting the CR-V WiFi to your houses WiFi?

·
Registered
64 Posts
My pandora is completely dead now. Here is a video I made of Pandora flashing. Mine won’t even connect now. It says no phone connected, but it will make calls on Bluetooth

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ap5s44tNsAB8xzwtmoWcYbbQUtjn
Sorry, can't help much with Apple troubleshooting since I have an Android.

You are using the Hone Infotainment System (HIS) to play Pandora, not Apple Play.

Have you tried the following?

1. Check for Pandora update on your iPhone's App Store
2. Reboot your iPhone
3. Reboot your HIS (hold power button down until a message appears, choose YES)

That is about all I can offer w/o having an iPhone.

Good Luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
OK just out of curiosity have any of you just tried parking the car next to your house and connecting the CR-V WiFi to your houses WiFi?
I thought that Pandora gets it's internet connection from the smartphone connected to HIS via Bluetooth and/or using Apple Care Play/Android Auto via USB cable. The Pandora app is installed on the phone not the HIS.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry, can't help much with Apple troubleshooting since I have an Android.

You are using the Hone Infotainment System (HIS) to play Pandora, not Apple Play.

Have you tried the following?

1. Check for Pandora update on your iPhone's App Store
2. Reboot your iPhone
3. Reboot your HIS (hold power button down until a message appears, choose YES)

That is about all I can offer w/o having an iPhone.

Good Luck
I have.
There are two issues happing at the same time.
My head unit is/was malfunctioning prior to the latest IOS update. It flashes, freezes and drops. BUT the new IOS update causes all head units to not connect to pandora. So, no matter how much I explain that I have an additional issue to the new IOS issue, honda is stuck on stupid they it’s an IOS issue. Basically even when they update the IOS mine is still broken. I will have to address it after the IOS update because they can’t seem to (don’t want to) understand my individual problem.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts