Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello.

A few months ago, I experienced a slowly draining battery situation that I solved with help from the info on this forum. (Thanks!!)

It was the bad A/C compressor relay. Since the A/C broke in September anyway, I simply pulled the bad relay and associated fuse and went on my way.

This week, I've once again been experiencing a parasitic drain, causing to battery to go flat overnight.

I'm not a "great" mechanic, especially with electrical matters, but I do have a basic meter and just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

What are the next most common causes of battery drain and please point me to any resources that may help me properly diagnose things.

Edit to add: 2003 CRV Automatic

Thank you.

Jay

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,932 Posts
Here is a good video on how to find parasitic current drains.

I especially like the tool that the Car Wizard describes at 6:30. But as he demonstrates, you don't need one.

Reactions: handycrowd

·
Registered
2006 SE Sport Automatic
23 Posts
I recently experienced a parasitic battery drain (followed diagnosis in your thread so thanks!). Finally replaced battery and all good for a couple of days before the drain reappeared. Turned out I have a faulty courtesy light switch (the one on the driver side uk). When I thought it was off, it wasn’t, it just wasn’t lit when I looked, and then one day it was lit.. doh. Mine turned out to be an easy fix. I hope the same for you.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,226 Posts
To find a parasitic load obviously you first have to isolate which circuit the load is on. With only a DVM you can determine the current passing thru each fused circuit by back stabing the fuses and observing the voltage across the fuse. For the CRV you need to make the vehicle think all doors and hood are closed. Place a C clamp or something to close the driver side door switch. For the hood you can unplug the hood latch switch located at the bottom of the latch. Once you have the door and hood switches taken care of you can leave the hood and door open and lock the doors to enable the security system. Wait 20 mins. for the car's computer systems to go to sleep and start hunting for the parasitic load.
Once you find which circuit is the problem a schematic is very useful to determine what devices are on that circuit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts