Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all fellow CRV owners, please take note of this as more than likely you'll be hit by this. My 2017 had 1800 miles on it. Ready to leave on a trip. Was not happy at 4pm. This SB was issued on June 14, 2017. Think Honda would contact us? Check your VIN if you're in the range they perform a software update. Also had them up-date the infotainment as well

parasitic.jpg

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
To all fellow CRV owners, please take note of this as more than likely you'll be hit by this. My 2017 had 1800 miles on it. Ready to leave on a trip. Was not happy at 4pm. This SB was issued on June 14, 2017. Think Honda would contact us? Check your VIN if you're in the range they perform a software update. Also had them up-date the infotainment as well

[iurl="http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=91946&d=1500152708"]
[/iurl]
Do you have any information on the infotainment update?

·
Everything in Moderation
7,625 Posts
Think Honda would contact us?
Everyone should remember, a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is NOT a recall. Rather, it is a communication published to aid in resolving service issues.

In this case, we should expect any dealership to look up the symptom (battery discharge after parking brake applied during 2+ days of inactivity).

Sometimes it is necessary to tell the service writer that Honda knows the issue and it can be corrected or prevented (in this case, through TSB 17-032). THAT is the power of Forums like the CRVOC!!!:cool:

We all need to realize that some folks don't explain the symptoms in terms that will trigger recognition by the service writer. If you didn't associate your dead battery with the application of the parking brake, would you have mentioned this to the service writer? I don't think so...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Everyone should remember, a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is NOT a recall. Rather, it is a communication published to aid in resolving service issues.

In this case, we should expect any dealership to look up the symptom (battery discharge after parking brake applied during 2+ days of inactivity).

Sometimes it is necessary to tell the service writer that Honda knows the issue and it can be corrected or prevented (in this case, through TSB 17-032). THAT is the power of Forums like the CRVOC!!!:cool:

We all need to realize that some folks don't explain the symptoms in terms that will trigger recognition by the service writer. If you didn't associate your dead battery with the application of the parking brake, would you have mentioned this to the service writer? I don't think so...
Exactly correct. Our TSB 17-032 is NOT a recall, but unfortunately some service writers at my dealer remind me of telephone customer service reps that only know what they read off a script. I had a messy phone conversation where a service writer told me I would have to pay a diagnostic charge related to this battery-no start issue. Currently, I have contacted Honda, and have a case # assigned. I expect to hear from Honda rep for my area next week. I have had two dead battery events since May after car sat for 3-4 days with parking brake engaged. Recently I've not used parking brake, but I prefer to use it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My battery was dead after sitting for 3 days. I took my vehicle to the dealer and told them about this service bulletin. As reported by others in other threads, they couldn't find a bulletin 17-032. They did do an update on my vsa software. I don't know how updates to this system work. I would hope an update to this system would be inclusive. Certainly they don't have to do updates for each tweak or fix that comes along. My battery continued to lose voltage after the update, so I went back to the dealer. They told me the battery was bad and replaced it. This morning the new battery had a full charge according to my meter but the parking brake was not engaged. I'll check it tomorrow after the parking brake has been on. That will be the test. I'll check in with an update. If you check your battery with a multimeter you can see what's going on instead of waiting for your battery to be dead at the worst possible time. Mine went to 11.9 volts after 3 days which is nearly dead but started the car. If it were 10 degrees, probably not.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My next move is also to contact Honda. My dealer has tried to resolve this but obviously hasn't been given the resources they need.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Is it traceable to the parking brake? I've not had the dead battery problem (yet?) but have noticed on 2 separate occasions during the last year that the parking brake mysteriously engaged itself. My driveway is mostly flat, so I don't have it set to engage and I never engage it myself.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Is it traceable to the parking brake? I've not had the dead battery problem (yet?) but have noticed on 2 separate occasions during the last year that the parking brake mysteriously engaged itself. My driveway is mostly flat, so I don't have it set to engage and I never engage it myself.
There has been a whole discussion on this forum about this. In fact, there was a Honda TSB released that identified the issue being related to the Electronic Parking Brake, and a fix was provided by Honda. It should no longer be an issue, if your vehicle was manufactured after the dates identified in the TSB, or if your car had the fix done at a dealer.

EDIT: I re-read your post and see that you don't have this issue.

The parking brake has a setting that can allow it to automatically engage, or disengage. Check in your main settings. Sorry, I don't have the sequence to get to that specific setting handy, but you can find it in the manual.

You can check the TSB in the sticky threads here at the top of the forum.

·
Registered
653 Posts
The parking brake has a setting that can allow it to automatically engage, or disengage. Check in your main settings.
My settings ARE NOT enabled for that, but twice in the last year, I've started up the car and the parking brake was engaged -- all on it's own. Honda Gremlins.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
My settings ARE NOT enabled for that, but twice in the last year, I've started up the car and the parking brake was engaged -- all on it's own. Honda Gremlins.
Well, you know, and just a thought. some of the settings are specific to which key fob you used to open the car. I found out that you have to set some of them on both driver 1 and driver 2. this might be the case....just thinking.

Did the parking brake engage after another driver drove the car?

·
Registered
653 Posts
It's rare for anyone to drive my car, and if so, they use my fob. I've got an EX and I don't think they are programmed differently (not marked as Fob 1 or 2). It's just bizarre that the parking brake seems to set itself -- and it doesn't happen regularly enough for me to figure out what's going on with it.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It's rare for anyone to drive my car, and if so, they use my fob. I've got an EX and I don't think they are programmed differently (not marked as Fob 1 or 2). It's just bizarre that the parking brake seems to set itself -- and it doesn't happen regularly enough for me to figure out what's going on with it.
Fair enough. It was just a thought trying to help you. I don't have any other ideas. Maybe someone else does.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts