Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having an ongoing problem all year with a slow, hesitant to start battery. I did replace the battery, also a brand new starter. I was still having the issue. Had various places look at it - battery perfect, alternator perfect, starter perfect. I was having the issue that a lot of people seem to be having - doors locking and unlocking on their own while driving (not actually locking but making the clicking noises). Honda did replace all four door accuators for free under the recall, but almost every morning my battery won't start w/o a jump. Brought it to an electric shop and Honda again - the bottom line is the fuse box altogether would need to be replaced. Something about the passenger front door pulling the electricity overnight. Its a 2007 with quite a bit of mileage, but I want to get another 1-2 years out of it. The electric guy and someone I know at Honda both brought up just disconnecting the battery (negative) at night and reconnecting in morning. A work around. Short of spending $900-$1000, I'm planning to see if I can live with this. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
See if you can find the fuse that feeds that drain and then you can just pull that fuse at night, instead or disconnecting the battery, which resets the computer. Once you find the fuse, you can start tracing down the cirucuit.
You should be able to find the circuit diagrams and also a Service Manual online for free.
Search on the Internet on how to trace that slow drain.
Having the battery go dead every night is super hard on the battery and also on the alternator.
Find the fuse that feeds that passenger front door and pull it and see if it does the job.
Did anyone say if it was the light circuit or the power window in that door or ????
Buffalo4

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wouldn't even know where to begin :) They wrote up a report. Its the front passenger door. Is the fuse box easy for me to get to?

·
Registered
772 Posts
That's big money for that repair. I cannot recall ever seeing one that needed replacing unless it was damaged due to accident, or electrical short resulting in burning the harness. I would probably want a THIRD OPINION, if doing a load test on the battery shows it's ok.
David g.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I didn't think of that. Is that something they typically have? And just get my regular mechanic to put it in you mean? I'm sure Honda wouldn't unless you bought it from them.
No, don't replace anything until you're sure it is the problem!!!
Have your mechanic show you which fuse it is that controls the passenger door's electrical drain (whatever thing he thinks is causing the problem) and show you where it is and have you actually pull it and replace it, just so you know where it actually is and can do it yourself.
Perhaps he thinks it is in the wiring itself and doesn't want to delve into the repair.
However, that is a band-aid type repair until you find the cause and get it fixed. Batteries and alternators get very expensive if you have to replace both.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know if you've solved your battery drain mystery or not, but I can tell you what solved mine...and it's a common problem across several models of Hondas over several years. I experienced this issue with my 2009 CR-V and a 2000 Odyssey I had passed along to my son. After researching the crap out of this, the fix turned out to be simple and cheap. The culprit turned out to be faulty OMRON relays (specifically the A/C clutch relay). I replaced every OMRON relay in the box just to be safe. Honda parts will have replacements by a different manufacturer. See your vehicle manual for location of your relay box in the engine compartment. The manufacturer name appears on the relay. The relays may cost about $10-$15 a piece. Even though this is a known problem with OMRON relays, I didn't find a mechanic that could figure it out. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The original part number is 39794-SDA-A03 manufactured by OMRON..... replacement part number is 39794-SDA-A05 manufactured by MITSUBA. If you unplug the bad OMRON relay and shake it, you may hear a rattle. It's likely what's left of a dissolved resistor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Had same problem on UK built 2009 CRV. Replaced with Mitsuba part, problem solved! Disassembled the Omron relay and it had indeed been eaten away by Nitric acid. A diode fell out!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts