Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this 2010 CRV EX with a parasitic draw. The battery will be dead in 2 days if the vehicle is not used. Battery is not the issue!

I tracked the parasitic draw to the "back up" fuse. When I remove this fuse, the draw disappears. If I remove the fuse I lose remote door locks, radio amongst other electronics.

I have taken out the fuses one by one and I cannot find any other source to the draw.

The only aftermarket item on this vehicle is a Astro Start remote starting system.

I don't have a dealer nearby to assist. Anyone have any pointers on this model CRV? I understand some door switches could be faulty, but how to test them? If a door switch is bad would it leave the interior light on?

Any advice would be appreciated if you have seen this issue. Thanks

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Don't have any experience with your model CR-V but it sounds like they've wired the Astro Start to the 'backup fuse' and in the process re-routed all the things that go 'dead' when you remove it, through it too.
You're going to have to find a way to isolate all the systems that are involved in order to figure out which one is causing the draw.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Try this find the feed for the module for the Astro Start & disconnect it. See if the parasitic draw goes away. Let us know.
This would be my guess. Once it is disconnected, make sure to put the backup fuse back in, and this will narrow it down to the car starter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions. I should have mentioned the dealer wired the remote starter to an empty fuse in the fuse box, labeled it and I already tested.

I googled this same issue and found several other people experiencing this problem on Civics, CRVs, Ridgelines and Odysseys and only one person who traced a rear door handle switch to a Ridgeline. All the other people that asked for help disappeared without any answers. :( The info I saw was the back up fuse controls a lot. May need to find an expert, but hoped someone may have seen this issue in a CRV to give a starting point. It's odd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
View attachment 75161

Hi, Did you ever solved this problem. I have a 2007 model CRV and have a similar problem. Battery draws parasitically at 0.5A. Upon drawing the fuses out from the hood, I figured out that if we take a 10A fuse out that controls the Navigation/Radio and Alarm then the draw goes immediately down to 0.02A. Upon further checking I have removed the Navigation console out from the car but it did not help. I have also removed the fuse number 25 under the dashboard that controls the alarm system but it did not help either. The car draws current continuously and emplties the battery in 1 day. Does this fuse control other things as well? which I should check.
Picture is attached.
Regards, Mohsin

·
Banned
806 Posts
I had an aftermarket DVD player put in another vehicle I had previously owned that was causing my parasitic draw. If I parked for any length of time I would have to disconnect the battery. Look at any and all aftermarket devices you have had added to the vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The alarm is OEM and there is no after market device installed to my knowledge. A non Honda workshop has tried to figure out the problem with but with no luck. They changed the cables between the fuse box and the battery.

·
Banned
806 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
This sounds a lot like an alternator diode problem I once had.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is definitely not an alternator problem otherwise removing the fuse that controls Nav+Alarm would not have shown any improvement in the current draw. Is there anything else connected to that circuit? or is there anything else connected between the fuse box and nav console/alarm. Where can I find the circuit diagrams for CRVs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mohsin,
I have a UK spec 2007 CRV with the same symptoms as you described in your jan 17 post. It is drawing 550 mA with ignition off. When fuse 16 is disconnected,which is in same position and same rating as yours, it drops to 20mA. It is described as Back Up circuit. Did you find out what was causing it. We may have the exact same fault!
Regards,
Gramacho

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mohsin,
I have a UK spec 2007 CRV with the same symptoms as you described in your jan 17 post. It is drawing 550 mA with ignition off. When fuse 16 is disconnected,which is in same position and same rating as yours, it drops to 20mA. It is described as Back Up circuit. Did you find out what was causing it. We may have the exact same fault!
Regards,
Gramacho
Exact same problem here - Did you ever find a fix?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi everyone! Been searching forums for a fix to this exact problem on a '07 crv, please tell me someone has found the solution!!!!

Battery draining when left for more than a few days, parasitic draw located to back up fuse no. 16, where to go from there????

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Usually this can be traced down to an aftermarket security system or Honda's Handsfreelink module. Honda's HFL module is usually a PITA to get to. It's located below the audio unit. It can be simply unplugged. If the drain goes away after unplugging it you can decide if you just want to leave it or replace it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Amazing thank you, I don't have an aftermarket alarm as far as I'm aware, will have a look for the HFL already have the aftermarket audio unit out as I thought it was that!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is this the right cable to unplug? All info I could find pointed to this, but it hasn’t reduced the draw after replacing back up fuse

1 - 20 of 47 Posts