Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice that the owner's guide seems pretty adamant about always using the parking brake, turning the wheels into the curb, etc. I usually only use the parking brake when parked on an incline, but it's not exactly San Francisco around here and I probably park without it 95% of the time.

Is there some technical reason why Honda would insist on this, as though the transmission's Park position might not hold? Or is this just CYA?

Also, is it really necessary to have the parking brake on as well as being in Park to operate the memory seat? That's also inconvenient if you don't use the parking brake every time you're in Park.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Electronic parking brakes save weight and are now cheaper for the manufacturer than the conventional system. They have been around for many years in the luxury market and are slowly making their way into other segments.

That being said I'm sure it's designed to withstand the stated use but it can't hurt to use the parking brake (or just let the system engage it as designed).

·
Registered
428 Posts
All manufactures will recommend the parking brake (emergency brake, e-brake, hand brake, etc.) be applied to lessen the strain on the transmission when you shift out of park regardless if it's on a hill or not. When you park, some people don't realize the vehicle either shifts forward or backward a fraction of an inch when you release the brakes. That strain on the transmission on an incline or decline will cause a clunking reaction whenever shifted out of park without the parking brake applied. Now with the memory seat, they had to say it legally to prevent those who drive and adjust their seat. Less distraction while driving is recommended, that's why in driving school, they tell you to adjust your mirrors before proceeding to switch gears. Makes sense, well at least to me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but since the Parking brake sets automatically when you turn off the car (you can hear it set) and it's electronic, will it run down the battery at all?

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Not to hijack the thread, but since the Parking brake sets automatically when you turn off the car (you can hear it set) and it's electronic, will it run down the battery at all?
No, it will not run down the battery; the motor runs for a couple seconds, and then it's done. If that little thing were to kill your battery, your battery would be due for replacement.

·
Registered
59 Posts
transmission parking pawl is not very big. A lot of stress on a small part. Be safe, save an expensive repair.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Activating and deactivating the automatic parking brake feature
With the ignition switch is in ON (II), carry out the following steps to either activate
or deactivate the automatic parking brake feature.
1. Shift the select lever to (P).
2. Without depressing the brake pedal, pull up and release the parking brake switch.
- Check that the parking brake indicator has come on.
3. Pull up and hold the parking brake switch. When you hear a beeping sound,
release the switch and within 3 seconds pull up and hold the switch again.
4. When you hear a sound indicating that the procedure is completed, release the
switch.
- Two beeps indicates that the feature has been activated.
- One beep indicates that the feature has been deactivated.
- When you have completed activating the feature, the parking brake will
remain applied after you turn off the engine.
- To confirm that the parking brake is applied, check if the parking brake
indicator is on.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I haven't noticed/heard my emergency brake setting itself automatically. I think mine may be turned off. What's the recipe to turn it on?
The parking brake does not set automatically. You must set it when you park. It will release automatically when you take it out of park and step on the accelerator, in case you forgot to release it.

BTW the Brake Hold function is a different feature not related to the parking brake.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The parking brake does not set automatically. You must set it when you park. It will release automatically when you take it out of park and step on the accelerator, in case you forgot to release it.

BTW the Brake Hold function is a different feature not related to the parking brake.
Excuse me but the parking brake DOES set automatically if you have this function turned on. In order to automatically release you must have your seat belt on. The salesman and I spent a bit of time trying to figure this out one day. It pays to read your manual but there is so much there you kinda have to live with the car a little while and check things out as you discover them. Personally, I like the auto feature for the brake. It forces me to use seatbelt at times I might not would have (short runs to take trash, etc.).

·
Registered
137 Posts
The parking brake can set automatically when the transmission is in park and the engine is turned off. Pages 508 & 509.
"Thank you stevevt and joeflyer. Have downloaded the manuals and guide on my Mac but need to do it on my MacBook."

Tried to download the owners manual (OM) from the Honda Owners Site to my MacBook last night and again this evening and the link for the OM is not working for me. Didn't have a problem downloading the Owners Guide or the Nav Manual. Put in a ticket on the owners website but haven't heard back from them nor has the link been fixed. Please let me know if you get it to work. It says the OM was last updated on 03/22, so that may have something to do with the link not working or it could be operator error or some other glitch on my end........

1 - 20 of 21 Posts