Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2020 CRV Sport
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did read some earlier threads on this but am still unsure. I just picked up my 2020 Sport and had little training at the dealership due to the covid. I was advised to maintain default settings until I become familiar with the vehicle. I don't believe my parking brake is being applied automatically. I did read the manual regarding applying parking brake manually but scratch my head when it says I can't release it if the battery dies. Is this correct. Thanks.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,162 Posts
Parking brake disengages automatically when you drive off, but not aware that it engages automatically.

The one instance that I do know of where the e-brake kicks in, is if you put the car into "P" and then switch it off and exit/lock. Then it activates.

Because when you get back in next time, it shows on the dash that the e-brake is on. Thats happened to me a few times so I know it works.

As for the battery, I guess it stands to reason that if the battery is deceased, you cant disengage the e-brake as there is no power to it for the mechanism to be released. This is where the good old fashioned cable-strung hand brake was always superior in my humble view.

·
Registered
568 Posts
On the hybrid you can set it on auto hand brake
I never thought I would use it but I use it all the time
Really lazy driving now
come up to a junction take your foot of the gas handbrake come on foot on gas off it comes off

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,162 Posts
I tend to hit the Brake Hold button rather than use the auto brake. Different options for different driving styles.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
If you shut down you hear the rears spin on? to a lock right, did you pull the battery to test that theory? If the car needs to be towed because no power to the system GH Honda should say in the manual something like.

Key release is located by shifter to put into N and then tow car by lifting rear. does it. I am not a Owners manual reader. but the pages 133 says nodda.

·
Registered
166 Posts
There's a menu setting to automatically apply the brake. I don't think that affects the ability (or not) to release it if the battery dies.

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk - 2018 CR-V AWD Touring

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,576 Posts
I did read some earlier threads on this but am still unsure. I just picked up my 2020 Sport and had little training at the dealership due to the covid. I was advised to maintain default settings until I become familiar with the vehicle. I don't believe my parking brake is being applied automatically. I did read the manual regarding applying parking brake manually but scratch my head when it says I can't release it if the battery dies. Is this correct. Thanks.
Yes it is correct that you can't release the parking brake if the battery is dead. The electric parking brakes use a pair of gear motors to clamp the rear calipers on the rotors. Without battery power the gear motors can't reverse direction and unclamp the calipers.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
having this dumb moment here and will say it out loud:

what if you set to N and push will the brake release sound about right when you give gas to go. IDEA Knowing power releases it DUH!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts